Pick one car if you had to made it last the rest of your life.

Already did in my sig. I am not planning on anything newer due to automakers sharing information with insurance companies.

2002 to 2007 GMT800 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup. 6.0 gasser, 4L80E and AMA 10.5 inch full floating axle. Will tow all my stuff and with 4 doors move all my people, parts availability until the end of time.
Good choice. My only gripe with it would be having to put gas in that 6.0L for the rest of my life, might need my own refinery lol. This is coming from a guy that has but over 1,000,000 km over a few of them.

My pick would be a GMT400, perhaps a suburban if it has to be a family hauler.

Hmm. It would have to depend if I wanted to stay with a sedan or go with an SUV.

If I stayed with an SUV, I would probably stay with what I have. I love my Mercedes E350, and the W212 has proven to be one of the most reliable luxury platforms around. It is fairly easy to work on, reasonably comfortable, quiet, rides nice, and about the right size. But I think I would upgrade to a 2016 with a few more of the safety features. Others have already shared on the MB forum I visit, putting 200k + miles on their W212's, with reasonable maintenance costs. So I think I could make a W212 last another 20-25 years.

But it seems that an SUV may be a better choice, if it was going to be the only car I drove for the rest of my life. And if that is the case, I would want one that is going to make me smile, and not be boring. I couldn't take boring for the rest of my life.

So I think I would pick up a 2015-2017 Porsche Cayenne. While not as reliable as a 4Runner, they are about as reliable as most any other SUV. Porsche, like most German luxury manufacturers, is committed to providing parts as long as cars are on the road, so it shouldn't be a problem to keep it going for the rest of my life. And they are about the nicest SUV around, if you want one that is fun to drive. Super comfortable. Cayenne owners love them.

Of the three cars in my sig, probably the Buick. GM made a bazillion 3800 and 4t65E’s so parts should be available for ages. The technology simple too (OBD2), at least compared to new cars.
Not exciting to drive, but the Buick is a reliable and comfy, roomy car.
The Honda has been an awesome car for us (bought it new). But highway noise is tiresome.

Last edited:
Beetle.
not one of the newer (late 90's on) Golf Based Beetles, a real Air cooled Beetle.
my family had a number of them before i was born (Aug, '79), and one Yellow Super Beetle when i was about 4. i think that got traded in on the 84 Delta 88 that we had until ... 91-92...

I'd probably go for something with good parts support that's known to be reliable and lacks any leading edge tech, so probably a Honda or a Toyota.
After a number of years of use, I'd take reliability, low fuel consumption and cheap repairs over excitement any day of the week.

1983 Silverado, well on our way, Original owner, purchased in June 83.
1710194869912.jpg

Back