Pet peeves while driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who feel the need to cram in between the me and the vehicle in front of me when there isn't a vehicle behind me for a 1/4 mile

People driving with NO lights on after dark, or during other than full light conditions

People who insist on driving 20 MPH faster than anyone else, even when traffic flow is already going over the speed limit (these drivers usually have 22" or larger tires and wheels, and loud, boomy stereo systems)

People with no working tail lights (do people ever inspect their vehicles anymore?)

People who tailgate

People using cell phones

People who think they have to get in front of every vehicle on the road

People who don't know how to merge onto a highway (they expect you to get out of their way)

People who don't use their cruise control (constantly speeding up and slowing down)

People driving under the speed limit, then speed up when you attempt to pass them

People parking in the left lane no matter how slow they're going, or how many vehicles they're holding up

Truckers driving in the far left lane on freeways where there are more than two lanes...these guys are supposed to stay in the right two lanes

As mentioned before, imbeciles who take corners at 10-20 mph below the posted advisory speed- riding the brake the entire time.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: philipp10
pokey drivers. If the light turns green.....GO and GO NOW!!!!! Second people that tailgate when I am going 10 mph over the limit in the left lane....why should I have to put up with constantly merging traffic....

Are you a left lane hog or are you complaining about left lane hogs that feel justified in hogging the lane because they're 10 mph an hour over? I could be doing 70+ in the left lane and if I see someone flying up on me doing 80 or 90+, I move over if there's room. It's amazing how well that works in Germany.

The standard phrase, lead follow or get out of the way also applies to driving.

When gas was about $4+ a gallon, I used to drive in the right lane when I wasn't in a rush to get anywhere. More challenging than staying in the left lane with your foot planted.

I don't understand why do I have to move over for someone doing something illegal....and then put up with the right lane and its constant mergers. 10 mph over the limit seems reasonable. At what point are the left lane people going too fast for you? Sorry but the roads are clogged and no one is getting anywhere any faster anyway. It's not like we can afford to leave one whole lane open for the few that want to go 100 mph.....I won't apologize for that....

Last edited:
Except slower here are the few that follow the 75 mph speed limit ... and the right hand lane is mandatory ... so it is not fun trying to squeeze in on a stupid (short) S~shaped entrance ramp ...
And I probably voted for some of these “fools making rules”

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Slower traffic keep right; not a particularly difficult concept...

Seems to be extremely difficult for drivers around here.

Tail gaters riding my arse. Nothing else really bothers me except that.

There's a social contract during motoring same as there is standing in line at the movie theater. You don't nuzzle up and breathe down my neck in the ticket line, so don't do it in traffic either !!

Originally Posted By: CT Rob
Cell phones.every other car the so called driver has the phone in their hand instead of driving.

Seems like whenever I see someone doing something REALLY stupid and oblivious they have a phone smacked against an ear.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
People that drift to the left before a right turn, tells me they learned to drive with a 1972 Electra or other boat.

That's called a "pimp turn" :p Haha

Drivers that use all lanes, even the shoulders, cutting in and out of traffic like they are heading to the hospital with an emergency

only to pull into a food emporium or some other important destination. Often, you catch these drivers at the next light and often pass them!

I don't understand why do I have to move over for someone doing something illegal....and then put up with the right lane and its constant mergers. 10 mph over the limit seems reasonable. At what point are the left lane people going too fast for you? Sorry but the roads are clogged and no one is getting anywhere any faster anyway. It's not like we can afford to leave one whole lane open for the few that want to go 100 mph.....I won't apologize for that....

Because when you got a license you agreed to follow the rules of the road. The primary one is slower traffic keep right. You actually have to use your brains and skill in handling "constant mergers". That's just part of driving and I don't have any problem with mergers or moving over for faster traffic. You should refresh yourself on what the proper rules of the roads are.

I don't worry about what other people are doing. Lane hogging makes the roads more dangerous. When the left lane speeders are doing 100+, they're away from you. When they try to slingshot around you at high speeds, it becomes more dangerous for everyone on the road. As mentioned earlier, it's much easier to switch lanes when everyone is going about the same speed, when there's a huge variation, that's when it's dangerous.

pokey drivers. If the light turns green.....GO and GO NOW!!!!! Second people that tailgate when I am going 10 mph over the limit in the left lane....why should I have to put up with constantly merging traffic....

Are you a left lane hog or are you complaining about left lane hogs that feel justified in hogging the lane because they're 10 mph an hour over? I could be doing 70+ in the left lane and if I see someone flying up on me doing 80 or 90+, I move over if there's room. It's amazing how well that works in Germany.

The standard phrase, lead follow or get out of the way also applies to driving.

When gas was about $4+ a gallon, I used to drive in the right lane when I wasn't in a rush to get anywhere. More challenging than staying in the left lane with your foot planted.

I stay out of the left lane except when I'm passing, but invariably, I'll get one of these 100 MPH turd balls racing up on my but every time I pass another vehicle and I can tell they're livid because I'm in their way. I stay right where I am until I'm done passing, then I move to the right, and I don't care if they get mad. It isn't my responsibility as a licensed driver to facilitate illegal driving by others...

Following all the various rules and courtesies of the road requires attention, thought, and logic. All of those commodities are in short supply so don't expect any improvement whatsoever until automated cars and roadways become the norm. It's only going to continue to get worse in the meantime.

One of these pet peeves threads starts just about once a month, if not more often. It's really just opportunity to vent and that's about it. I don't know about the rest of you, but venting just seems to make things worse rather than better for me. If I get a bunch of people agreeing with me it's the ultimate bad because it reinforces my objections to things about which I can do NOTHING.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Following all the various rules and courtesies of the road requires attention, thought, and logic. All of those commodities are in short supply so don't expect any improvement whatsoever until automated cars and roadways become the norm. It's only going to continue to get worse in the meantime.

One of these pet peeves threads starts just about once a month, if not more often. It's really just opportunity to vent and that's about it. I don't know about the rest of you, but venting just seems to make things worse rather than better for me. If I get a bunch of people agreeing with me it's the ultimate bad because it reinforces my objections to things about which I can do NOTHING.

I don't know, venting does seem to do something...what, I don't know, but I do feel better afterwards...I guess it's kinda like when I poot...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DBMaster

^^^ this, x 1000.
it's human nature to cry, and [censored], and complain if things don't go perfectly for most people, on a given day.these crying-about-the-driving-of-others threads are hilarious. it's ALWAYS the lousy driving of everyone else.
are there no lousy drivers on bitog? there has to be some. even if there are 1 of 10 lousy drivers here, there are easily 6,000 lousy bitog drivers. that can't be -- it's always everyone else.

db -- you shouldn't post about logical and factual things. you don't want to discourage the always entertaining whining threads.
have a good day, all.

Left lane for passing is important for emergency vehicles. If there are a dozen cars behind one vehicle in the left lane that's not passing traffic in the right lane(s)then an ambulance, fire truck or police car have to wait as those dozen cars move over one at a time.

On my 25 mile commute each way to work I'd see a lot of crazy idiotic drivers along the way. Driving during rush hour to and from work makes people nuts behind the wheel.

Because when you got a license you agreed to follow the rules of the road. The primary one is slower traffic keep right. You actually have to use your brains and skill in handling "constant mergers". That's just part of driving and I don't have any problem with mergers or moving over for faster traffic. You should refresh yourself on what the proper rules of the roads are.

I don't worry about what other people are doing. Lane hogging makes the roads more dangerous. When the left lane speeders are doing 100+, they're away from you. When they try to slingshot around you at high speeds, it becomes more dangerous for everyone on the road. As mentioned earlier, it's much easier to switch lanes when everyone is going about the same speed, when there's a huge variation, that's when it's dangerous.

Part of the "rules of the road" are to drive within the speed limits too.....apparently its ok for people to go 100+ in your world.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back