Pet peeves while driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: Alex_V

And by far the biggest peeve of all these: Those that drive 50-55 on the 2-lane and/or curvy portion of the road but gain 10 MPH as soon as the passing lane opens up... and I pull out to pass.

THIS^^^^

Yep! And some of those people hit their brakes at the top of each hill...then speed back up going downhill.
crazy.gif

And the aforementioned signals: you signal before you turn, not AS you turn you dimwits.

I don't know where to begin. You see so much inconsiderate, downright stupid and even suicidal driving every day. The driving experience is much worse these days than it was twenty years ago.
I think that this is caused mostly by thicker traffic everywhere, with smaller roles played by near universal smart phone use as well as the near total lack of manual transmissions in mainstream cars.
Time was when just about everyone with a four cylinder drove a stick, and driving a stick is entertaining and also forces the driver to pay attention.
An automatic allows the driver to instead play with his phone or stuff his face while ignoring the trivial task of actually driving.

Anyone who does not use a turn signal. Even if careful, cutting off, crazy or lunatic the turn signal shows intention and you can react.

I despise reading minds.

Drivers drafting, weaving in and out and endangering innocent law abiding drivers.

People texting and surfing the web while driving.

People reading the newspaper driving.

People putting on makeup or getting dressed while driving.

Those are a few, there's more.

I'm glad I'm not a police officer, for their sake......

Last edited by a moderator:
On a road or high way that is 2 lanes each direction and one lane is closed for road work. I will be waiting in line with the rest of the cars and some a hole feels the need to pass all the waiting cars and cut in at the last moment possible. I try not to let those people cut me off but a lot of times they will keep merging in and almost hit my car. That puts me into an crazy fit of rage.

Everything that has already been stated. Saved me a lot of typing.

People who drive in the rain 10 under the speed limit, but do not have their headlights on.
People who do not feel like fixing their tailights, and may have 2, 1, or no functional lights in rear.
When people pull out in front of you and immediately turn. Especially annoying when nobody is behind you.
When people refuse to accelerate while on the on ramp, or wait to [censored] everyone else over.
People who don't feel the need to get over when people are merging and have the next lane open to them. Especially semis.
Being tailgated while doing 10+ over.
Those who fly past you and slam on their brakes and the red light a few feet ahead.
Inefficient drivers.
Basically, everything.

1. People entering the highway from a dead stop right in front of me, forcing me to swerve or hit my brakes, when there's no one behind me for miles.

2. Retired people in sports cars poking along at half the speed limit.

3. People who continue to drive long past their ability to do so competently and safely.

4. Anyone using a phone while driving, whether hands-free or not.

5. People who don't watch for motorcycles or yield right-of-way.

Numbers 3, 4 and 5 killed my husband.

pokey drivers. If the light turns green.....GO and GO NOW!!!!! Second people that tailgate when I am going 10 mph over the limit in the left lane....why should I have to put up with constantly merging traffic....

Last edited:
People who don't know how to merge on a superhighway. They come down the ramp well under the speed limit, with out looking, and at the end of the ramp when their lane ends, they look to see who is going to move/or brake to let them in. It always seems be when i'm towing my travel trailer. They even blow the horn expecting me to move so they can merge well under the speed limit.

Last edited:
I completely forgot the merging thing! I have to admit, I will RIDE SOMEONE if they aren't merging at speed. This is one of my all time most agitating (not to mention extremely dangerous) issues with drivers.

At minimum I like to merge slightly above the posted limit. I automatically assume most people in the right lane are going between 5 under to right at the limit, and having an extra MPH or two can give me a little extra wiggle room. I also start looking over my left shoulder around the half way point on the ramp. I like to know exactly where oncoming traffic is at any given second. That short glance has saved me from idiots countless times.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
pokey drivers. If the light turns green.....GO and GO NOW!!!!! Second people that tailgate when I am going 10 mph over the limit in the left lane....why should I have to put up with constantly merging traffic....

Are you a left lane hog or are you complaining about left lane hogs that feel justified in hogging the lane because they're 10 mph an hour over? I could be doing 70+ in the left lane and if I see someone flying up on me doing 80 or 90+, I move over if there's room. It's amazing how well that works in Germany.

The standard phrase, lead follow or get out of the way also applies to driving.

When gas was about $4+ a gallon, I used to drive in the right lane when I wasn't in a rush to get anywhere. More challenging than staying in the left lane with your foot planted.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I could be doing 70+ in the left lane and if I see someone flying up on me doing 80 or 90+, I move over if there's room.

This. Then get back behind them and let THEM be the decoy haha
19.gif

People who leave anywhere between a car length to a semi-truck length of space between them and the next car in front of them, in either a single or double left turn lane situation. Not only does this not allow more cars through the light cycle, but there are times where in a double left turn, the right lane stacks up, while the left lane is 1/2 occupied. Trouble is, all these space hogs force other drivers into waiting 1-2 light cycles to turn.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I could be doing 70+ in the left lane and if I see someone flying up on me doing 80 or 90+, I move over if there's room.

This. Then get back behind them and let THEM be the decoy haha
19.gif

Yeah, haven't gotten a speeding ticket in years. Don't need a radar detector if you pay attention. Curves, hills, other cars braking, those are all warning signs. Or don't speed in unfamiliar territory and just pay attention.

Had a guy do just that once, flew up on me, I moved over to let him go and tucked in behind him a little bit, but then he kept taking off so I lost him. Saw him pulled over by a cop one hill later.

Had a guy do just that once, flew up on me, I moved over to let him go and tucked in behind him a little bit, but then he kept taking off so I lost him. Saw him pulled over by a cop one hill later.

Haha sweet karma!
cheers3.gif

Another telltale sign of the fuzz ahead,sudden brake lights. Every time someone flies past me and up the road they suddenly hit their brakes,there's always an oinker.

If someone comes speeding up behind me, I always get over to let them pass. Rather them get the ticket than me!

Originally Posted By: Iowegian
People who step on the gas when I pass.

Not to defend them, but I call this; "the Saber-toothed cat is gaining on me" syndrome. I seriously believe it is a subconscious reaction to something closing from behind..

I used to do this as a game with my girls. I would approach with the car on cruise control and we would bet on whether it would happen. It is always inversely correlated to the speed differential. The slower you approach the more likely it is they will speed up as you close.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
People driving at night with only their DRLs on.

I see this all the time, along with people driving after dark with NO lights on...what's wrong with people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back