personal info for new phone plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to switch to Verizon. gave them my info and was told to call fraud dept to answer some questions all normal procedure. Address, how long you live there(20years) address before this house. Employer, how long there 30years. Then they want copy of SS card bills to this address and one other thing which I forgot. Is this normal, I am really not comfortable giving them a copy of my SS card to be honest. I gave them them number no reason why they should need the card. The did a credit report and in about 30 sec said I was good to go. My credit is fine BTW.

Social security seems to be too far. I can understand proof of residency (which a utility bill accomplishes).

I would escalate it calmly to a supervisor and tell them you aren't comfortable giving them that, and you'd like to understand why it's required. Ask if there is an alternative to the SSN.

They're not the only company out there, go else where. With what you have given them I'd tell them to pound sand.

Your patience may very.

Smoky

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
They're not the only company out there, go else where. With what you have given them I'd tell them to pound sand.

Your patience may very.

Smoky

I'm betting all the big carriers do it.

Pay-as-you-go stuff probably won't.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Social security seems to be too far. I can understand proof of residency (which a utility bill accomplishes).

I would escalate it calmly to a supervisor and tell them you aren't comfortable giving them that, and you'd like to understand why it's required. Ask if there is an alternative to the SSN.

Alternative to SSN for a credit check? Hmmm.

I suppose since phones are "subsidized" they are extending credit in some form.

The sooner these stupid subsidized device plans disappear, the better. Of course they're a cash cow for the vendors.

Wonder how tegu deal with someone without a credit score, like Dave Ramsey?

Sounds bad to me.

Why not just get a prepaid phone like the plans that Wal-Mart and others offer.

Would NEVER give that kind of information to anyone.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Sounds bad to me.

Why not just get a prepaid phone like the plans that Wal-Mart and others offer.

Would NEVER give that kind of information to anyone.

I cancelled order, it was a phone order. I might try it by g oing to store in person. Original order was a phone order. I need 4 phones for Family so prepaid probably wont work.

Originally Posted By: raaizin
I am trying to switch to Verizon. gave them my info and was told to call fraud dept to answer some questions all normal procedure. Address, how long you live there(20years) address before this house. Employer, how long there 30years. Then they want copy of SS card bills to this address and one other thing which I forgot. Is this normal, I am really not comfortable giving them a copy of my SS card to be honest. I gave them them number no reason why they should need the card. The did a credit report and in about 30 sec said I was good to go. My credit is fine BTW.

It sounds fishy to me.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
Originally Posted By: raaizin

It sounds fishy to me.

It's not fishy at all. They're trying to protect themselves from people who don't pay their bills (that cost is then passed on to the paying customers in the form of rate hikes). It's nothing personal.

Go with Pageplus. They use Verizon towers. The price of the Iphone 4 and 4s have dropped on ebay.

I just bought an excellent condition Iphone4 and put it on Pageplus. No contract no application process. All done on their website.

Are you sure it was Verizon and not a third party reseller?

Thrifty people are getting away from the big carriers, and moving to no contract, prepaid carriers. You can pick up a great Nexus 5 with no contract and not tied to any carrier for $349 direct from Google, or Moto X for $399. Slip in a Straight Talk or AT&T/T-Mobile prepaid sim card for $45-$50/mo and you are going to save many hundreds over the typical 2 year contract.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Are you sure it was Verizon and not a third party reseller?

Thrifty people are getting away from the big carriers, and moving to no contract, prepaid carriers. You can pick up a great Nexus 5 with no contract and not tied to any carrier for $349 direct from Google, or Moto X for $399. Slip in a Straight Talk or AT&T/T-Mobile prepaid sim card for $45-$50/mo and you are going to save many hundreds over the typical 2 year contract.

I blow this away on the thrifty meter.
I bought a Sprint Iphone4 with bad ESN on ebay for $55, excellent condition. Jail broke and then flashed to Pageplus.Put it on the $29 monthly plan. 1200 minutes,3000 texts,500 MB data. Works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back