VPN for iOS devices when traveling overseas: how hard and is it necessary?

With all of the scammers and hackers out there, I am becoming more paranoid. Going on a 2 week trip and will use the Verizon International plan which is $10/day/device; don't want to deal with getting an eSim card there (Korea) which would be cheaper but more of a hassle. Will access the internet via wifi and also cellular roaming from Verizon partners in Korea. I will need to do payroll via my iPad and will also need access to the internet for other things such as searching for restaurants and shops. I've never considered a VPN but will using one increase security for my devices? If so, how does one "hook up" the VPN to use on my iPhone and iPad so it automatically is used when I open my Safari browser? Is NordVPN or any other VPN provider trustworthy?

IMO, VPN providers like NordVPN don't really do much. I'd suggest just making sure you don't connect onto any WiFi if possible.

IMO, VPN providers like NordVPN don't really do much. I'd suggest just making sure you don't connect onto any WiFi if possible.
Not possible when traveling. I keep reading about "evil doers" wanting to get on your account and stealing your info-I have traveled literally all over the world using city wifi (Denmark) a bar (Costa Rico) etc., and it hasn't happened yet.
I have to believe while it can happen-it's just not that prevalent. Paranoia-this forum is full of it.

If you're using cell data it's basically a non issue from everything I've read. It's those public wifi networks were you have to worry but I read online that banks and such encrypt the data so even if the hacker on the wifi could get it the data should be unreadable anyways. But i did use proton vpn for a while when connecting to wifi in some countries i traveled to.

Thanks for all the responses. Even though I have cellular service via roaming, I will be at locations where cellular is not accessible due to location or within buildings so may have to use local "trusted" wifi at large international chain hotels (Four Seasons and Hyatt). That is why I brought up the idea of using a VPN. I may also want to stream content from Netflix/YouTube/Hulu to decompress before going to sleep. Do VPNs throttle data speeds?

I'd suggest just making sure you don't connect onto any WiFi if possible.
Just never ever under any circumstances click "yes" to allow a certificate to be installed when you connect to WiFi. It's called an intermediate certificate and if you allow it to be installed, someone will own your base.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. Even though I have cellular service via roaming, I will be at locations where cellular is not accessible due to location or within buildings so may have to use local "trusted" wifi at large international chain hotels (Four Seasons and Hyatt). That is why I brought up the idea of using a VPN. I may also want to stream content from Netflix/YouTube/Hulu to decompress before going to sleep. Do VPNs throttle data speeds?

You'll be fine on the cellular network, Four Seasons Wi-Fi and Hyatt Wi-Fi without a VPN. The only thing a VPN is good for is getting you the US based site, if you open Google in S. Korea you'll get the Korean site and search results. Also, if you want to access US content that is blocked overseas like Sling.

Are you staying at the Grand Hyatt in Itaewon?

Just never ever under any circumstances click "yes" to allow a certificate to be installed when you connect to WiFi. It's called an intermediate certificate and if you allow it to be installed, someone will own your base.
Thanks for the advice. Don't let any things install on my devices except apps from the Apple App Store that I must need.

You'll be fine on the cellular network, Four Seasons Wi-Fi and Hyatt Wi-Fi without a VPN. The only thing a VPN is good for is getting you the US based site, if you open Google in S. Korea you'll get the Korean site and search results. Also, if you want to access US content that is blocked overseas like Sling.

Are you staying at the Grand Hyatt in Itaewon?
I'll be at the Four Seasons in Seoul and Grand Hyatt in Busan. I'll call my payroll provider to see if I can access their site internationally or else I might actually need a VPN. I looked at Proton VPN and can subscribe for a month if that's the case.

Have an example?? Usually to get on to wifi you have to click yes. Who knows what happens. Is the certificate installation a more specific process??

Not sure how much it matters but it cant hurt. Make sure you have turned on "Private Relay" on all your iOS devices. If your devices are under one account I think turning it on on one will turn on the others but not sure. IN addition to this, the second photo is to make sure your safari has those check boxes checked. I do find, I think however rarely there is a small performance hit sometimes on my 300 Mbps connection hard to say, speed tests sometimes I think show the hit but then I cant repeat that hit.

I just found this article but a simple search about Apple Private Relay provides endless results =
If you read the link I provided above I see some countries it is not allowed.

I guess it cant hurt to check these boxes in your Safari browsers either.
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 11.00.32 AM.jpg

You have to click "Join". If you see a pop-up that asks you to approve a SSL certificate, then you need to run away. It's the SSL cert that you should never install.
Yes!!! This is called a man in the middle attack. It will allow your encrypted traffic to be decrypted mid-stream and read before it is re-encrypted and sent to you. This allows the attacker to gain your logins, passwords, and other sensitive information as well as see all of your traffic in plain text.

This is especially important when joining a WIFI network where you have to click through a terms of service page to get access. Never, ever accept or trust a certificate when doing this.

Yes!!! This is called a man in the middle attack. It will allow your encrypted traffic to be decrypted mid-stream and read before it is re-encrypted and sent to you. This allows the attacker to gain your logins, passwords, and other sensitive information as well as see all of your traffic in plain text.

This is especially important when joining a WIFI network where you have to click through a terms of service page to get access. Never, ever accept or trust a certificate when doing this.
Yup, MITM are, I wouldn't say common, but happen frequently enough that people should be aware of it.

Is there a way to determine what certificates are installed just to double check?

your workplace doesn't have their own VPN that you can use?

also i believe TLS 1.3 disabled MITM attacks, though the vast majority of people cannot be bothered to check TLS version when visiting a site

If you have a pc you leave on at home(or a compatible router) set up TailScale at home as an exit node then TailScale app on devices. This will encrypt and route all your traffic thru your home so it looks like you're at home.

Its pretty easy to get going.

Back