perceptions and reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Businesses only exist to generate profit, it is the Capitalist way.
They should be applauded for setting prices where supply meets demand.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Businesses only exist to generate profit, it is the Capitalist way.
They should be applauded for setting prices where supply meets demand.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Why don't you use city water? Unless there are restrictions on using city water. Got to be one of the silliest Madison Avenue scams ever. Everyone walking around sucking on a water bottle. Whatever did we do before bottled drinking water show up?
banana2.gif

GLASS bottled water?
ceramic recipients?
a stick and 2 buckets?
dig a well next to your house?

P.S. if everything is flooded, including the water cleaning station, the well, the water pumping station... how do you get clean water?

Originally Posted By: Olas
Businesses only exist to generate profit, it is the Capitalist way. They should be applauded for setting prices where supply meets demand.
I sincerely hope you never find yourself in a situation like this. If you do, you may understand just how stupid your statement is.

I agree with you so long as it passes the sniff test: did they advertise beyond walk in; did they pre-stock beyond normal inventory levels?

Given that selling water is a tertiary product for impulse buys (rack jobber), I doubt the above is the case. People don't think of or go to BestBuy while in crisis mode. While the optics are not great, the impact BestBuy could affect in a water shortage is miniscule.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Then we could say why didn't the people buy water when it was $5.00 per case? Or there was a few days before the storm. That being said I get the greasy feeling when I go to a best buy. I just can't explain it.

Because they got flooded out of their house.

How far can you pack a case of water ?

ANYONE who can look one of those people in the eyes and charge them for ANY thing is a low life pos.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Why is BestBuy selling water ? It's an electronics store.

LOL with prices like that I'd put a water stand in my front yard!

Kid ask his father what the difference between theory and reality? After thinking for a few min he says ok go and ask your mother if she would have sex with neighbor for 1000 dollars, he did and she said " well seeing as dads unemployed and we have no money I would".
Now the father says ask your sister and grandmother the same thing, he did and got the same answer. He tells the father they all said and ask so what does this mean..

Well the father says in theory we have 3000 dollars in reality we have 3 ho's living under this roof.

It's price gouging, period.

The agreement a retailer has with their supplier is that a packaged item cannot be legally sold individually. That's printed right on the labels. If they sold those at X amount a piece out of the package, that's a crime.

They took a package, and jacked up it's retail price by 1000%. There's no perspective to this one. They either screwed their supplier by dividing an indivisible product in order to price gouge, or they jacked up the price of a package to price gouge, or both.

Under capitalist doctrine, they violated a very serious agreement and contract and broke the law no matter which way you cut the pig.

Was $1.79 the single bottle price before the hurricane? If so, I agree with Dnewton.

What did you base this on? I have never seen "not labeled for individual sale" at BB or any other large chain. They may ship as cases to the store but are designed and labeled for individual sale.

This is truly a meh story about a couple of dumb employees who didn't know or understand what they were doing. There are plenty of real gouging stories out there. The reality here is that this event is probably not prosecutable as the per bottle price has never changed and they never sell by the case at BB(though I haven't looked up the conditions in this law).

The bottled water supply in West and NW Houston has been hectic, but the grocers have done wonders at bringing in more. I bought mine on sale at Kroger. I don't know the usual price, maybe $3 a case but they had it on sale for 2/$5 by pure coincidence. Whoever made that decision cost the company a lot, but you won't hear any complaints. Grocers are experiencing record sales right now.

Gouging during an emergency is prosecuted in TX. This was widely broadcast...

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

The agreement a retailer has with their supplier is that a packaged item cannot be legally sold individually. That's printed right on the labels. If they sold those at X amount a piece out of the package, that's a crime.

They took a package, and jacked up it's retail price by 1000%. There's no perspective to this one. They either screwed their supplier by dividing an indivisible product in order to price gouge, or they jacked up the price of a package to price gouge, or both.

Under capitalist doctrine, they violated a very serious agreement and contract and broke the law no matter which way you cut the pig.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
What did you base this on? I have never seen "not labeled for individual sale" at BB or any other large chain. They may ship as cases to the store but are designed and labeled for individual sale.

This is truly a meh story about a couple of dumb employees who didn't know or understand what they were doing. There are plenty of real gouging stories out there. The reality here is that this event is probably not prosecutable as the per bottle price has never changed and they never sell by the case at BB(though I haven't looked up the conditions in this law).

The bottled water supply in West and NW Houston has been hectic, but the grocers have done wonders at bringing in more. I bought mine on sale at Kroger. I don't know the usual price, maybe $3 a case but they had it on sale for 2/$5 by pure coincidence. Whoever made that decision cost the company a lot, but you won't hear any complaints. Grocers are experiencing record sales right now.

Bottles labeled for individual sale are shipped in cases and labeled for individual sale, correct.

Bottles packaged in 24 packed are usually labeled not for individual sale, since the manufacturer prices the packs at a different rate than the individual bottles, with the agreement that they won't be sold individually at an individual rate.

It is possible to buy bottles labeled for individual sale in packs, but BB is not likely a place where one would get one. Costco or BJ's? Yeah, but BB? Doubt it.

Selling a package for package sale at individual price is either shafting the supplier or the customer. It's one or another.

BB would only have individual sale bottles and prices in the computer on a per bottle basis. They receive the bottles in cases, with the quantity per case irrelevant here, except for the fact that the math works out....

The employees would only be able to sell by the bottle without a manager override. Like I stated, this is a case of employees not quite all there and not willful gouging.

Bottles labeled for individual sale are shipped in cases and labeled for individual sale, correct.

Bottles packaged in 24 packed are usually labeled not for individual sale, since the manufacturer prices the packs at a different rate than the individual bottles, with the agreement that they won't be sold individually at an individual rate.

It is possible to buy bottles labeled for individual sale in packs, but BB is not likely a place where one would get one. Costco or BJ's? Yeah, but BB? Doubt it.

Selling a package for package sale at individual price is either shafting the supplier or the customer. It's one or another.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It's a lot cheaper to buy water in 1 gal or 5 gal jugs.

Not here.
A case of 24 1/2L bottles is $1.97 (Can) at the local supermarket.

Wow... I don't think I've seen 24-packs this low around me. 1 gal jugs are about $0.69.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Why don't you use city water? Unless there are restrictions on using city water. Got to be one of the silliest Madison Avenue scams ever. Everyone walking around sucking on a water bottle. Whatever did we do before bottled drinking water show up?
banana2.gif

No power = no city water
Contaminated water supply = no city water
Flooded water system = no city water

BB would only have individual sale bottles and prices in the computer on a per bottle basis. They receive the bottles in cases, with the quantity per case irrelevant here, except for the fact that the math works out....

The employees would only be able to sell by the bottle without a manager override. Like I stated, this is a case of employees not quite all there and not willful gouging.

Then it appears I completely misunderstood the situation.

If BB only sells singles, and the cases were or water labeled for individual sale, then nobody has any right to complain, and BB acted in accordance with their vendor agreement and the opposite is true of my original assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back