Peppermint oil added to furnace humidifier

Is it ok to add peppermint, or other scented, oil to a whole house humidifier pad? The purpose would be to repel stinkbugs.

I would think that if it doesn't work the way you desire you are going to have a stinky problem that you might have a hard time eliminating.

I would think that if it doesn't work the way you desire you are going to have a stinky problem that you might have a hard time eliminating.
This. Years ago I had something go bad in my fridge, so I thought a little orange glow on a paper towel to kill the smell. Everything in my fridge smelled like orange glow and even picked up a weird orange "taste". I wouldn't put peppermint oil in any humidifier.

Interesting responses. Thanks.

Stinkbugs around here now go from about November through April.

One of the hvac companies suggests adding peppermint oil to your furnace filter but it seems to me that if coating the ducts is a problem, the problem would be exacerbated because the fan is on more often than the humidifier.

Gonna ask my hvac guy when he does his semi-annual and will post his take.

I have not added to any filter but I use essential oils all the time. I have a dedicated diffuser that I use. One like this
They work well. I don't know about all but some oils are degrading to plastics like lemon oil and most citrus oils. Lemon oil will also eat right through Styrofoam

Years ago I had something go bad in my fridge, so I thought a little orange glow on a paper towel to kill the smell. Everything in my fridge smelled like orange glow and even picked up a weird orange "taste". I wouldn't put peppermint oil in any humidifier.
Most common solution is a box of Baking Soda (for bad frig smells).
There sold just for that purpose.
Even if not needed, I always have a box in frig and freezer.

I started using Insect Glue Traps in my basement.
Several along each wall.

September .... Insect killer around outside perimeter of house.
December .... replace glue traps in basement each year.

Most common solution is a box of Baking Soda (for bad frig smells).
There sold just for that purpose.
Even if not needed, I always have a box in frig and freezer.
Yeah. I've been using those for a while. I didn't know about the fridge packs until a few years back.

Back