People Cheap with Maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a Durango last friday. The LF wheel bearing was so bad that the caliper wore through the wheel. Once the wheel was worn through the wheel split. The outer part separated from the inner part and both were laying in the street.

I knew a roofer that really loved his work.
He liked to look down on people, and wanted others to look up to him.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old cars are not the issue, just old beaters?
Is a well maintained 50 year old car ok to share the road with you?
Donate one of your cars to your beater neighbor, a good deed indeed!

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Do you guys actually see any suspension failures on your daily travels?

Only once. It was on a Honda with a ball joint that decided to skip town. The owner was chilling on the side of the road with the wheel separated from the rest of the car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: double vanos
Texas has annual car inspections which makes cars there meet some semblance of minimum standard. Fail inspection, no license renewal till you pass. May be a burden on the poor but in cities like Houston operational brakes and steering are a must.

That I would be in full support of. In CA, it would be easy to implement at a STAR-certified smog check station, but with the effects of gentrification forcing the poor into exurbs instead of living where there is even the semblance of adequate public transit - Uber and Lyft add up QUICK.

The only inspections I'm going to need to do to get my salvage Suburban back on the road is brakes, lights, and a smog test. After I get my salvage title, no more safety inspection is ever needed and the only thing they care about is a smog test every 2 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I don't know many people who are cheap in that sense, but I do know people who are really just ignorant about maintenance. Some of them are the opposite of cheap interestingly enough, and spend thousands on stuff they shouldn't need to.

Yep this. Or people who refuse to take advice and continue to bring their car to the ________ (dealer, midas, cheap chain) to have their car serviced who continue to get things wrong yet still bring it back!

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Originally Posted By: Kurtatron
Do you guys know any people like I do? It really frustrates me. There are people that have a cheap complex, to the point it is annoying to neighbors. You know the types. Don’t want to eat out at anything fancier than KFC.

You get frustrated because your neighbors don't want to eat out at anything fancier than KFC?

Lots of things in life to get frustrated at, this does not seem to me to be one to worry about.

Maybe somethings wrong with me, but I could care less where other people eat.

The way I look at ANY type of maintenance especially cars is that I have invested a substantial amount of my hard earned money to purchase something, in this case a car. For most people purchasing a vehicle is the second largest purchase you will ever make, a house being the first. If I can extend the usable life of my purchase I will get more return on my investment. Secondly regular maintenance and replacement of components that are designed to be replaced is actually CHEAPER than replacing parts when they fail. Example, it is much easier and cheaper to replace brake pads and machine rotors, then to wait until the rotors are damaged from pads that have been worn down to the rivets. Regular fluid changes are much cheaper than replacing an engine, trans or diff. Regular maintenance ensures my safety and that of my family. There is nothing worse than having a tire blow out at 75 mph because you wanted to get that last 32nd below the wear indicator, yea you saved a few hundred dollars not buying new tires, but now the car is damaged there goes a $500 dollar deductible or God forbid you have an accident and your kid get injured. Sorry but my family's health is worth far more than that. My opinion is that there a lot of ways to save money, regular maintenance is not a place where you skimp, because in the long run being cheap is expensive.

Originally Posted By: Gimpy1
The way I look at ANY type of maintenance especially cars is that I have invested a substantial amount of my hard earned money to purchase something, in this case a car. For most people purchasing a vehicle is the second largest purchase you will ever make, a house being the first. If I can extend the usable life of my purchase I will get more return on my investment. Secondly regular maintenance and replacement of components that are designed to be replaced is actually CHEAPER than replacing parts when they fail. Example, it is much easier and cheaper to replace brake pads and machine rotors, then to wait until the rotors are damaged from pads that have been worn down to the rivets. Regular fluid changes are much cheaper than replacing an engine, trans or diff. Regular maintenance ensures my safety and that of my family. There is nothing worse than having a tire blow out at 75 mph because you wanted to get that last 32nd below the wear indicator, yea you saved a few hundred dollars not buying new tires, but now the car is damaged there goes a $500 dollar deductible or God forbid you have an accident and your kid get injured. Sorry but my family's health is worth far more than that. My opinion is that there a lot of ways to save money, regular maintenance is not a place where you skimp, because in the long run being cheap is expensive.

Yeah I think tires are a great example where being cheap should not be allowed on public roads. My stepdad had tires so bald, that the steel lines inside were showing through the rubber. Even I fell into the same cheapness tendency. My van had 12 year old tires. And I had no idea they were as bad as they were. My van started developing a vibration. My friend, who was a passenger, told me that it is fine, don’t worry about it, his car was like that for 2 years. Had I followed his advice, I could have been the very example I am so against. I went to a mechanic, and he showed me cracked, peeling tires. He told me to get new tires immediately, that it’s not safe to drive the thing. I got those tires replaced the same day.

I just think there are people, in the interest of saving as much money as possible, are inadvertently endangering themselves and others. In the absence of a decent inspection rule, people can be driving in unsafe vehicles, and hurt others. This can be ignorance or just hubris. Some say I shouldn’t mind other’s business, but I will mind their business if it endangers others. It’s like that old saying: driving is a privilege, not a right. If I had the mentality to ignore things like a tire ready to blow, I am risking myself and others.

I just think there are people, in the interest of saving as much money as possible, are inadvertently endangering themselves and others. In the absence of a decent inspection rule, people can be driving in unsafe vehicles, and hurt others. This can be ignorance or just hubris. Some say I shouldn’t mind other’s business, but I will mind their business if it endangers others. It’s like that old saying: driving is a privilege, not a right. If I had the mentality to ignore things like a tire ready to blow, I am risking myself and others.

Sometimes they just don't know better. Or really could not afford it...
Me:

Bought first car, a '95 Mercury Mystique. First thing, next day after buying, change oil at a close-by garage. Then register the car + plates + insure.
Well 4 months pass by, and there was a magic light on the dashboard.... Complain when we visited a friend and:
-he comes and tell me to open the hood.
-Me, deer-in-the-lights-look
-him, open door, pull opener, open hood.
-Magic: check oil level
-diagnostic: stick barely touching oil.
-he: added a quart he had available.

So next 2 weekends, under his watch, this happen:
-changed wipers
-bought tools to change oil/oil filter
-bought tools to change brake rotors and brake pads
-and he sit with me and point me where to pull,twist,live some skin and blood on the car etc to change the oil+filter
-show me one rotor and brake pad (including correct "snap" to clear/free the MI rust)
-then let me do the rest of 3 all around front and back.
-he also made sure I cleaned up the parking lot where I work.....

2 months after that/winter time he pointed me to the closest Firestone to change my not-too-good-in-snow-3/32" tires....

....But not everybody could learn that, or had that friend/dad/granpa...

2% of 2.2 million crashes is still alot!!!! 45k accidents are caused from neglect then.

I deal with the cheap customer all day everyday. People who drive new 2015 and up BMW/Mercedes/Audis and complain about a 300-450$ service on these cars, yet their lease and insurance payment isnt an issue. God forbid they need tires on some of these cars.... Sport package tire size the other day on a GLK was 255/45/21, customer was floored. How could they possibly cost 1600 for 4 tires?!?! I cant afford that! and they head right down the highway to Newark for some used or Chinese junk rubber. And when I write the bills I see they live in an apartment in a poor neighborhood. Gotta love how vain people are now.

Last edited:
Do you guys know any people like I do? It really frustrates me. There are people that have a cheap complex, to the point it is annoying to neighbors. You know the types. Don’t want to eat out at anything fancier than KFC. Complain about parking fees. Complain about National park fee tickets. This behavior translates into car ownership habits as well. I am all for financial responsibility, but when it comes to owning a 20 year old rust bucket that's leaking fluids, awfully worn suspension, I just think these types are possibly endangering the public. I have heard stories of someone snapping an axle in half due to never replacing the cv joint, clutch failure due to never replacing clutch fluid, engine failure on the freeway. Does this irritate you guys as much as me? There comes a point when I think people should just replace old cars, just out of consideration of involving someone else in in their catastrophic breakdowns.

I can't find anything in the first statements that I would feel justified in valuing; I would not berate people for saving money on food (except at the expense of a family unit's health, which is objectively pursue-able and achievable.) BUT, the latter half of your original post deserves a nod if not respect, particularly from an ethical POV:

Originally Posted By: Gimpy1

To answer your question, yes I know people. Yes it upsets me. Automobile inspections should exist to objectively set the standard for safely navigating the road for a year.

FWIW, I can see myself making the stupid decision to limp my car back home after a decent accident, which would potentially put others in danger in the event that something damaged finally fails while on my way home. I just have to forgive them, since I could very well make just as bad decisions. Doesn't mean change the standard either, though.

I grew up poor, but we had money for basic maintenance. Then again, we didn’t have $1000 wheels or $200 tint. Also, we didn’t drive a BMW, Mercedes, etc., with expensive repair parts. I see people cheap out on those, too. They’ll have a $60k car, but will put a $50 used battery in it!

I like KFC
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: CKN
Kinda like guys that drive a radius of 50 miles to buy oil at .50 cents a quart.......that's pretty "cheap" as well.

I’d spend $10-15 on gas to save $50-100 on oil. That’s money that can be used for other maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back