Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 vs 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I happen to have both PP 5w30 and 10w30 on hand. Has anyone seen any measurable data to say that 10w30 has better characteristics for use in the summer other than just assuming the the narrower spread in the viscosities will result in a more “robust” oil, or the other favorite term on Bitog, a more “stout” oil. By the way, what are the SAE units for “stoutness? Thanks.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I doubt that two identical engines - each run for 200,000 miles each on each oil, would show any differences when the test is over.

Troll thread pure and simple. The real question is what's the deal with summer and winter oils in 2018.

The difference is 5. Theoretically vs real life ????? I call it oil is oil.

Not a Troll thread. I’m just thinking I should use up this 10W30 for my next change this summer, and save the 5w30 for this winter. I do know a lot of people prefer 10w30 in areas where the cold start characteristic are just not required. However, is there something significantly beneficial in that narrower spread that we can measure?

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Not a Troll thread. I’m just thinking I should use up this 10W30 for my next change this summer, and save the 5w30 for this winter. I do know a lot of people prefer 10w30 in areas where the cold start characteristic are just not required. However, is there something significantly beneficial in that narrower spread that we can measure?
Obviously you'd want to use the 10w-30 in the summer in your location vs using the 10w in winter and 5w in summer. Or use it to start fires.

Originally Posted By: Imp4
By the way, what are the SAE units for “stoutness? Thanks.
smile.gif

01.gif

A3/ B4.

Shots fired!!!
laugh.gif

*10W30PP in summer / 5W30PP winter.

In GA you could frankly use it year round. Now I get 10w-30 on occasion for one reason its on sale its available and it is generally cheaper than 5w-30 my Corolla can use either. So I pick the one that saves me the most money.

My local AZ was clearing out jugs of PP for $10 then the last for $5 (due to a change in bottle size and label). I’m putting it in a V8 so it really has no care between a 5 or 10Wx. But if you’re going to use it might as well use it in the summer.

I live in a warm climate and, in theory, 10W30 would be a better choice because of lower volatility (NOACK). Having a GDI engine with timing chain, however, the lack of Dexos1 Gen2 certification for the 10W30 is a deal-breaker. Pennzoil Platinum Dexos1 Gen2 5W30 satisfies all my requirements.

Snagglefoot,

Would you fully use the 10w-30 before you need to switch over to a thinner oil?

I've been running longer OCIs in my vehicles. If they are jugs maybe use up to 2 liters/quarts of 10W-30 and fill the rest with 5W-20.

What vehicle is this in and what's the crankcase capacity?

10W-30 are not dexos just because of the 10W but are better for those in warmer climater having less viscosity improvers + starting as a 10W rather than a 5W hence less burn off aka better lower NOACK

I feel your pain, that's why a while back I was looking for the average of the two (i.e. 7.5Wx30) thinking it may have an average "stoutness" ... lol

Originally Posted By: JC1
Snagglefoot,

Would you fully use the 10w-30 before you need to switch over to a thinner oil?

I've been running longer OCIs in my vehicles. If they are jugs maybe use up to 2 liters/quarts of 10W-30 and fill the rest with 5W-20.

What vehicle is this in and what's the crankcase capacity?

I like that idea! It’s my Ford Taurus with a 5 quart capacity.
01.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back