Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 In Heavy Duty Application

I would avoid the out of grade oils. Stick with a 5W30 Dexos oil and never look back.
Keep in mind that the 5.3 is a very similar engine that uses 0W20 (for the cylinder deactivation junk)
GM has already done mountains of testing and engineering design work, I prefer to lean on their expertise since they designed, built and are warrantying the motor. Just like the OLM on these trucks, GM has done the work, I chose to exploit that :cool:

All base stocks are shear stable. The molecules are way to small to shear, it is always the VII that shear - if they do. This isn't as common as some people on this board think.

As you already noted, the product meets the HT/HS requirement of the grade, license or approval that the oil holds. It's not hiding. If it is a concern that for your application the HT/HS might be too low then either move up a grade or pick a brand that does list the value.
You read my mind. Here's my take on it.... Dexos may or may not have a minimum or maximum HTHS for D1G3 beyond the SAE grade limits. If the HTHS is too low, the oil won't pass the wear tests and if it's too high, it won't pass the fuel economy test. The aged oil physical properties at drain time also gets a vote. I'll postulate that most, if not all of the 5w30 D1G3's fall between 3.0 and 3.4 HTHS.

You read my mind. Here's my take on it.... Dexos may or may not have a minimum or maximum HTHS for D1G3 beyond the SAE grade limits. If the HTHS is too low, the oil won't pass the wear tests and if it's too high, it won't pass the fuel economy test. The aged oil physical properties at drain time also gets a vote. I'll postulate that most, if not all of the 5w30 D1G3's fall between 3.0 and 3.4 HTHS.
That’s a good guess considering:

minimum HTHS acceptable for an xW-30 is 2.9cP with no maximum. For KV however, there is a max KV100 of 12.5.

:ROFLMAO:

I checked Pennzoil's website for an oil recommendation for a Chevy Silverado 3500HD gasoline engine powered pickup truck, and Pennzoil recommended Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 which meets Dexos1 Gen 3. When I checked the Technical Data Sheet (TDS) for this oil, I noticed the viscosity is on the thin side: 9.8cst @ 100 deg C. I followup with Pennzoil customer service inquiring about the HTHS for Pennzoil Platinum 5W30, and I was told that the information was proprietary and could not be disclosed. I understand the minimum HTHS for a 30 wt oil is 2.9 cP at 150 deg C. Without knowing the actual HTHS, is Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 a good choice for using in a heavy-duty pickup truck for towing and hauling applications?
If you want PP 5w30 the PP Euro L 5w30 is thicker than PP, 12.5 @ 100°c cst, LL-04, ACEA, Dexos2. If me and towing I'd run QSFS Euro 5w40 or 0/5w40 Mobil 1 Euro. That is what I have for my Expedition for this coming summer for towing our camper.

Back