How Do You Check Brake Pads

I find it to be alot of trouble having to remove the wheel just to check the condition of the brake pads . So one idea was sticking my phone thru the wheel and taking a pic or using a mirror but dont have one small enough . I also thought about painting the pad yellow ....... that idea is from some yellow brake pads I saw on Amazon . So does anyone have any ideas to add ?

Never paint brake pads. There should be notches or clips. The clips squeal when close to replacement.

I take the wheel off, get a bright flashlight, and use this handy little measuring tool. If memory serves me correctly, new pads are 11mm thick. If I'm off with that guess, I can verify with new pads I have sitting on shelves in the garage. I think I have about 6 sets on hand. (I have 4 cars which take the same pads).

I also write down my results which I keep on a spreadsheet for each vehicle, so when they get close, I can take a pretty good guess from my own records time for replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
The blue Camry SE has wear clips. AMHIK My son has better ears than I do. He heard the tinkle long before I heard the scrape :sick:

Every spring I take mine apart and lube the ears. Good time to check. If I’m ambitious I do the same in the fall. If I go two years without doing that, they will seize up and sometimes prematurely wear out otherwise.

Every spring I take mine apart and lube the ears. Good time to check. If I’m ambitious I do the same in the fall. If I go two years without doing that, they will seize up and sometimes prematurely wear out otherwise.
Same with me and my Accent that I use in the winter. I just took the pins out and relubed sprayed cleaner on the pad ear area.

Back