Panasonic Viera 50” plasma TV problem

Keep in mind if you go OLED the picture will not be as bright, OLED is a negative if placed in a bright room. I would read reviews on it first, some OLEDs suffer from lack of detail in dark scenes as well.
But still a superior picture for a darker room, to me, it just seems the negative outweigh the positive but maybe that is because we could never go OLED, we have a bright room, roughly 18 feet of tinted windows 5 or 6 feet high for each with 16 foot ceiling and no curtains that face west. The Sony x900 series handles it with ease. Not that we watch TV at that time of day, except if there was some weekend event going on, but it is much brighter then even the Pani plasma that we replaced.

OLED is for darker rooms for sure.

He already has a plasma, OLED is brighter than plasma, no?

Personally I do not like bright screens. I have a cheapish LCD I put in my garage and I had to turn it way down, lol.

Personally I do not like bright screens. I have a cheapish LCD I put in my garage and I had to turn it way down, lol.
1. No

And ... Completely irrelevant comparing an old plasma 1080P TV with a high end 4K TV

The high end and mid to upper range (Sony x900) 4K TV blows away the 1080p Panasonic Plasma, not worth a discussion :eek:)

I had Panasonic and Samsung plasma TVs. Both conked out, both were obsolete, neither worth trying to save. Bought a much larger 65" LG for 1/2 of what the 50" Panasonic cost. I can't see the practical side of trying to revive an ancient plasma and that's IF parts are even available.

OLED's are brighter than plasma's were/are, We have a plasma in our workout room we watch while on the treadmill and it's hard to beat for SDR and 1080p content.

I would try and fix it unless you can determine it is the panel itself. Panasonic Plasmas still to this day have better picture quality than most tvs under about 3k or so. I still have one myself.

Its very likely one of the circuit boards, I'm sure some digging online can find the culprit pretty easily. Finding the part might be difficult, maybe you can find a parts tv 🤣
It’s was Pioneer that made the Kuro plasma TVs. They were legendary and Pioneer stopped making them as they weren’t profitable.

Panasonic purchased the Tech from Pioneer but they weren’t comparable. I could have gotten one back in ‘08 but never did as I jumped on the LED bandwagon, always regretted it.

Pioneer clearly had the best black levels but Panasonic was a close second in terms of overall picture quality. Then when Pioneer went away, there was only one real choice.

I was pretty heavy into A/V around this time, to prove that I still have an HD DVD player hooked up to my projector system 🤣.

It's definitely worth troubleshooting this old Panasonic (I have a ~14 year old -77 series 50" Panasonic that soldiers on as our main TV). If the parts only cost $50 or whatever then you could have a working TV for that and gain experience with electronics repair and get some good old fashioned satisfaction of a job well done :)

FWIW all TVs nowadays are "smart" TVs, no avoiding it. The built in Roku on our TCL LCD from Costco is great.

jeff

likely the su board.
this is the upper y buffer.
with the back off its the upper left board.
a bad buffer often kills the sc board but sometimes kills just the data to the other buffers.
the connectors can be fussy but take your time and its no problem.

The only reason I replaced my Kuro Elite with a 950H was because I wanted a 4K display and I needed a larger screen due to an increased viewing distance. The Kuro was moved to my basement HTS system and it’s still a pleasure to watch.

I forgot to update this thread until today. I ended up buying the Sony XR65X90J 4K TV to replace my 13 year old Panasonic Viera plasma. I’m no audio/video connoisseur but nothing jumps out at me as far as the Sony being head and shoulders better than my old plasma as far as picture quality goes. The built ins such as Prime Video are nice but admittedly the TV is much smarter than me, so I have a lot to learn! :oops:

I forgot to update this thread until today. I ended up buying the Sony XR65X90J 4K TV to replace my 13 year old Panasonic Viera plasma. I’m no audio/video connoisseur but nothing jumps out at me as far as the Sony being head and shoulders better than my old plasma as far as picture quality goes. The built ins such as Prime Video are nice but admittedly the TV is much smarter than me, so I have a lot to learn! :oops:
Interesting, a well made 4k TV picture quality should be head and shoulders better then a obsolete 1080p
BUT maybe as you play around with it you will appreciate it more>?
or maybe it just doesnt matter to some.

Helped the brother in-law mount and setup a 75" X90J over the weekend and got it tuned in pretty good, not sure about your source I.E. cable, dish or just streaming but it does make a difference in picture quality.

I brought up an episode of CSI season 1 on the Paramount + app......it's a great reference point for picture settings, it can be very grainy, has a lot of very dark scenes and some very warm/yellow scenes and if you dial it up to your liking you should be good.

Also try out the reality creation setting, I also thought it was just a novelty more than a useful function but with the new XR processor it's actually worthwhile, it can bring out some of that fine detail and clean up lower resolution material you are missing from that emissive high contrast plasma panel.

Helped the brother in-law mount and setup a 75" X90J over the weekend and got it tuned in pretty good, not sure about your source I.E. cable, dish or just streaming but it does make a difference in picture quality.

Yes, these were my exact thoughts if one cant tell the difference in picture quality from a 1080P display and a 4k display. I mean the 4k has 400% more pixels.
With that said, this is one reason I think people will not be going nuts to up grade to 8K, except for a Best Buy showroom showing content a homeowner will never be able to get I think 4k will be it for a while yet. Heck, its not even easy to get true 4k material now. Have a 4k player, only time I get to see a 4k disc is buy it which is extremely rare.
I can only speak for the Sony X900 models but safe to say the newer X will be just as good or better, they do have excellent builtin upscaling.
Coming from a 55 inch Panasonic Plasma I can without question, in our home, say the Sony 4k picture blew us away, picture is 3 d like depending on media when compared to the plasma and in the very few times we watch it during the day, we can actually see the picture quite good on the Sony in our VERY bright great room with 2 stories of tinted windows (no shades) that gets afternoon sun.

Last edited:
As fun as it can be to work on something and give it a 2nd life. Maybe it’s best to part with it they do consume much more energy than an LED set. On top of parts cost kind of like throwing good money to bad.

Back