Paid posters for Auto Rx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: expat
Seeing as I'm in Canada, I'll have to wait until I cross the border anyway. Sure I'll pick some up, if only for the gas tank.

Auto-rx for the gas tank, maybe you meant to post this in another thread.

Originally Posted By: c3po
Seeing as I'm in Canada, I'll have to wait until I cross the border anyway. Sure I'll pick some up, if only for the gas tank.

I think he means MMO.

Originally Posted By: panthermike

I think he means MMO.

I think you are correct.

I agree completely that this website should be for sharing information and not about people insulting each other. That gets old really quick for me. I did read most of the comments in this very long post.

I never received anything from Frank of Auto-RX other than discounts he gave to anybody such as discounts for buying more than one bottle of Auto-RX. In fact the guy attacked me in a post here and I almost decided to stop using Auto-RX. But I could not deny that it seemed to have stopped the seal leak in my car.

If there was some product that could replace Auto-RX, especially if it was cheaper and easier to get (such as at Wal-Mart), I would be the first person in line to switch. A lot of people are taking a look at MMO and if it definitely looks like it is a viable replacement I will start using it in the oil and not just the gasoline. If it works it is about 3 dollars at Wal-Mart.

Everybody should also keep in mind that there is no definite need for any oil supplement of any kind and anybody can drive a new car or truck well over 100,000 miles with just a quality brand of motor oil, reasonable OCIs, and good maintenance of the vehicle. Not to mention the fact that there are a few motor oils available that are supposed to be capable of some internal engine cleaning.

But a good internal engine cleaner might well be desirable in a high mileage/abused car or truck engine.

Like you I am going to wait and see what kind of results people get with MMO. Right now I am willing to use MMO in the gasoline but not the oil. And if I did use it in the oil I think it would be in small amounts and in the wintertime. I suspect that MMO thins out a motor oil somewhat.

The main thing I would like to see is for this website to return to what I remember it being when I first came here. Maybe my memory is wrong but it certainly seemed like there was a more polite and professional exchange of information regarding motor oils, oil filters, etc. All of the insane stuff gets old.

And by the way I know full well what it is like to be blasted online. Just to give a couple of examples I was blasted when I swtiched from Apple Computers to Windows. Some people went off the deep end like as if I had betrayed the 'Jedi' to the 'Dark Empire.' And I was blasted if I said anything negative about open source software.

People should be able to talk about things here without being attacked. That is very unprofessionl anyway. If you don't like what the messenger says, attack the message, not the messenger. That is what I believe. If somebody has to attack the messenger and not the message their defense of whatever they are trying to defend must be weak.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Domino's pizza box makes the best radiator blocker.

I have had better luck with Pappa Johns boxes, and I am not paid to eat their pizza
33.gif

Do you mean I wasn't supposed to put Arx in the Gas?
No wonder it did not last 2500 miles
33.gif

The instructions are too complicated!

I went back and read every single post in this thread. I had missed the one where the guy admitted that he received free bottles of Auto-RX. So okay, there were apparently paid promoters of Auto-RX. That kind of depresses me.

I sort of feel like forgetting about ALL supplements but on the other hand I remember very clearly that the Lubegard power steering supplement I tried worked. Maybe I will give that Lubegard Engine Flush a try.

Also I still have two bottles of Auto-RX. I might as well use them. I did an Auto-RX cleaning about 3000 miles ago and my car now has almost 80,000 miles. So I will use the next bottle of Auto-RX at about 100,000 miles. But no more Auto-RX for me.

I think I can now reduce my list of supplemental products I am willing to use to about zero. MMO will probably replace expensive fuel system cleaners and I will wait for some sort of results from MMO in oil here at this website before I even consider using it in the oil.

Well, everything is okay. All you really need is quality motor oil, quality tranmission fluid, quality coolant, etc. Just quality products and reasonable OCIs for oil changes and good general maintenance. Maybe a little MMO in the gasoline from time to time. Bob, who created this website, used Neutra in the oil. Hey, it is all good. If I try that Lubegard Engine Flush I will let you know what I find out.

Last edited:
Well, I just read this long thread and realized the following: "that was an hour of my life that I won't get back".

My 2 cents will try to stick with verifiable information that I don't think is debatable:

1)MMO contains up to 1% 1,2-dichlorobenzene which is a very good solvent for hard carbon deposits, is a solvent of choice for soot (fullerenes), has a higher boiling point than closely related chemicals found in brake/carb cleaners, and yet is liquid at ambient temps unlike para-dichlorobenzene (moth balls, crystal type). Dichlorobenzenes decompose into Hydrochloric acid which should be able to reduce TBN under certain conditions. On one hand, there isn't really much of the active ingredient in the the product. On the other hand, there are risks associated with using much more than is in the formulation.

2)LC is based on cyclohexanone which is a good acid scavenger in oil. Both cyclohexanone and its reaction product with nitric acid have lubricity properties. Under certain conditions, LC may be able to extend the useful life of an oil.

3)AutoRX is based on three components: a)2-ethylhexyl ester of lanolin fatty acids, b)heptanoic acid ester of cyclohexane dimethanol, and c)pentaerythritol tetraoleate. These ingredients and/or similar esters of natural fatty acids are used in other lubricants and are highly attracted to metal surfaces. They appear to "clean" by displacing attachments between metal surfaces and carbon compounds that are not soluble in oil. They are not "solvents" in the sense typically used here. They have excellent lubricity properties and are sometimes used in greases.

In full disclosure, I use AutoRX regularly. I love the smell of MMO, but rarely find an application where it is required. I have never used LC, but it should be able to extend OCIs for those that really want to push the limit.

It was a long read wasn't it GMorg. No wonder I missed a few replies. I agree with you: It was indeed an hour I will not get back back.

Very interesting what you brought up here. A person sure would not want to use too much MMO!

Any information on Neutra?

And I don't want to be too hasty giving up on Auto-RX just because there were some paid promoters. After all, if it works, it works.

Maybe I will keep Auto-RX on the short list. I still remember how that seal leak stopped.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
It was a long read wasn't it GMorg. No wonder I missed a few replies. I agree with you: It was indeed an hour I will not get back back.

Very interesting what you brought up here. A person sure would not want to use too much MMO!

Any information on Neutra?

And I don't want to be too hasty giving up on Auto-RX just because there were some paid promoters. After all, if it works, it works.

Maybe I will keep Auto-RX on the short list. I still remember how that seal leak stopped.

I do have a ARX Success story with taking care of a slight leak on my Mom's 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The car is well maintained and gets a steady diet of Mobil 1 5W-30 and the car sees very few short trips. When I take the oil cap off it looks spotless inside, so Mobil 1 can keep an engine clean, but at 90,000 miles there was some slight wetness of oil on the oil pan area. I followed the ARX Seal Leak Application to the letter and during the Rinse Phase the leak stopped, I believe arx worked because the engine was very clean inside, that's just my opinion.

My parents were away this summer for a few weeks, so 1000 miles before the OCI I added about 8 ounces of MMO and when I changed the oil 1000 miles later it came out very dark. The car hols 4.5 quarts of oil, so I added 4 quarts of Mobil 1 and 16 ounces of MMO, I took the car for a drive and it was more responsive. I checked the oil 1000 miles into the OCI and noticed the oil level was down about 8 ounces, I added the 8 ounces of oil and I checked it again 800 miles later and the oil level is fine.

I asked Demarpaint about this oil level drop, and he has noticed the same thing when using MMO, I've noticed the same thing when using MMO on my Marauder, he thinks it is MMO cleaning up the ring packs.

What is important to me is that arx took care of a seal leak and the MMO seemed to make the car more responsive and maybe the MMO cleaned something up that the arx did not get to, its hard to say, but you can see that as far as my Mom's car goes, both products worked.

Maybe the level drop was from the solvents evaporating? Maybe also from the low viscosity oil in MMO (likely a very high NOACK %) volatizing?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Maybe the level drop was from the solvents evaporating? Maybe also from the low viscosity oil in MMO (likely a very high NOACK %) volatizing?

Maybe it was the MMO soaking into some crud in the ring packs or somewhere else in the engine that had some dirt or contaniments.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

Maybe it was the MMO soaking into some crud in the ring packs or somewhere else in the engine that had some dirt or contaniments.

Probably not.

Originally Posted By: GMorg
Well, I just read this long thread and realized the following: "that was an hour of my life that I won't get back".

My 2 cents will try to stick with verifiable information that I don't think is debatable:

1)MMO contains up to 1% 1,2-dichlorobenzene which is a very good solvent for hard carbon deposits, is a solvent of choice for soot (fullerenes), has a higher boiling point than closely related chemicals found in brake/carb cleaners, and yet is liquid at ambient temps unlike para-dichlorobenzene (moth balls, crystal type). Dichlorobenzenes decompose into Hydrochloric acid which should be able to reduce TBN under certain conditions. On one hand, there isn't really much of the active ingredient in the the product. On the other hand, there are risks associated with using much more than is in the formulation.

2)LC is based on cyclohexanone which is a good acid scavenger in oil. Both cyclohexanone and its reaction product with nitric acid have lubricity properties. Under certain conditions, LC may be able to extend the useful life of an oil.

3)AutoRX is based on three components: a)2-ethylhexyl ester of lanolin fatty acids, b)heptanoic acid ester of cyclohexane dimethanol, and c)pentaerythritol tetraoleate. These ingredients and/or similar esters of natural fatty acids are used in other lubricants and are highly attracted to metal surfaces. They appear to "clean" by displacing attachments between metal surfaces and carbon compounds that are not soluble in oil. They are not "solvents" in the sense typically used here. They have excellent lubricity properties and are sometimes used in greases.

In full disclosure, I use AutoRX regularly. I love the smell of MMO, but rarely find an application where it is required. I have never used LC, but it should be able to extend OCIs for those that really want to push the limit.

Thank you for posting this.

Adding esters to an oil that doesn't have any should be a good
thing?

Interesting.
With regards Arx components; Quote GMorg;
"They appear to "clean" by displacing attachments between metal surfaces and carbon compounds that are not soluble in oil. They are not "solvents" in the sense typically used here. They have excellent lubricity properties and are sometimes used in greases."

I remarked some time back that Arx treatments often show particles in the oil filter etc. Plus, it has been remarked that typically engine sounds may change, or a Clicking sound may appear, during the treatment process. I was concerned that these particles may cause partial blockage of some oil ways, Hence the changing engine sounds.

I received some sarcastic comments on this, but no sound opinions.
Solvent containing cleaners, I 'feel' might act on deposits the way a solvent would act in the parts cleaner, attacking dissolving the deposit at it's surface, rather than removing it as a scab

Originally Posted By: GMorg

e: MMO and false advertising
GMorg Offline

Loc: Missouri
As and update to this thread, please find below the E-mail that I sent to Turtle Wax and the E-mail that they sent in response.

GMorg wrote to TurtleWax:

"I currently use Marvel Mystery Oil as a fuel additive. On the bottle lable it states that it has been made since 1923 and it states that it is the "Original Formula". I have found at least 4 different MSDS sheets for this product (I have not been able to get a current MSDS), and each lists different ingredients. How can the "formula" keep changing and yet still be the "Original Formula".
Any clarification that you can provide would be appreciated."

TurtleWax replied:

"Thank you for your interest in Marvel Mystery Oil. In response to your question, there are several explanations for the differences that you are seeing. If you have obtained the Material Safety Data Sheets from the internet, these MSDS's are posted by third parties in their own formats. In some instances, synonyms may be used for the same chemical so it looks like there is a difference in the formula. Also, formats and legal requirements may require listing a chemical that previously was not required to be listed. Turtle Wax purchased the Marvel Oil Company in 1998 and we can trace the formula back to 1976 when the formula had to be registered with the EPA as a gasoline and diesel fuel additive. The formula today is the same formula as back in 1976. While we do not have a paper trail for the original formula due to several ownership changes and company moves over the years, we are confident that the current formula is very similar if not exactly the same as the original formula. Attached is the current MSDS for Marvel Mystery Oil."

GMorg wrote to TurtleWax:

"I currently use Marvel Mystery Oil as a fuel additive

In full disclosure, I use AutoRX regularly. I love the smell of MMO, but rarely find an application where it is required.

On 7-26-06 post # 306951 you stated that you use MMO as a fuel additive, but yesterday you stated that you rarely find an application where it is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back