P1 orange grainy paint inside the filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
This afternoon when I changed the filter on my car, I noticed there's some orange paint around the O-ring and near the crew-on point, I wiped as much as possible be fore I put it on, should I be worried?
Then I went back to garage and noticed other P1 filters also have the same problem, is it my bad luck or is it a common thing?
Thinking may be they over-paint it...

All the P1s I have ever purchased have had this. Many say it was common when production started but that they fixed it. I have not found this to be the case.

the paint spots are on the incoming side of the filter. The clean oil comes out of the center. If there isn't any paint on the inside of the filter, it shouldn't matter. The filter media will catch the paint particles. The only negative is that the paint might lower the TBN if it dissolves.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

the paint spots are on the incoming side of the filter. The clean oil comes out of the center. If there isn't any paint on the inside of the filter, it shouldn't matter. The filter media will catch the paint particles. The only negative is that the paint might lower the TBN if it dissolves.

I used all the ones I bought because I came to the same conclusion. However, you would think they could figure out how to cleanly paint them...

This has always confused me, the sirection of oil flow, so the oil flow into the filter through the center, get filtered and then come out through the smaller holes surrounding it, right?

For this reason I will not be using the P1; I did give one a shot but when I went to buy more they all had paint particles on the the inside of the gasket. If you handle the filter the coating comes off pretty easily. I ended up purchasing a couple of Wix 51085 for the GC and couldn't be happier.

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
All the P1s I have ever purchased have had this. Many say it was common when production started but that they fixed it. I have not found this to be the case.

Filters I've bought in the last year have been sqeaky clean on the open end. Am I just lucky or have they fixed the problem? I use PL25288, a pretty fast mover, so these should pretty new stock.

Originally Posted By: lemonade

This has always confused me, the sirection of oil flow, so the oil flow into the filter through the center, get filtered and then come out through the smaller holes surrounding it, right?

The dirty oil first goes through the smaller holes or slots, through the filter, than the clean oil goes out the center hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back