P1 metal end cap un-glued

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been a big P1 fan since the late 90's. For the past 6yrs I've been running around in the BMW circles, with cartridge filters. Got out of the cars and now am into a '14 Silverado (my line of work was the reason I switched to a truck). With 7,604 miles and only a few months, I drive A LOT for work, I cut open my P1 this past Saturday. The dome end metal end cap was completely un-glued from the media. Never have I had something like this happen. The glue was dark and brittle looking. I should of taken some pics. the glue was smooth and molded to the cap. Unreal. I put a AC Delco back on. I have a M1 for the next go around which is about every 3 months for me. So I jump on the net and see that there are some QC issues lately. But with media tearing. Mine did not have torn media, just a end cap that was not stuck to the glue. It's been years since I posted on this forum. I felt compeled to let you guys know happen. Could of damaged my brand new truck.

Last edited:
Im not sure it could have damaged it really, unless larger hardened glue bits got places where they could scuff stuff.

But still thats scary. You sure it wasn't because of your technique taking it apart?

Two out of three Puro's I've cut open had this. Others have had this too.

I don't think you need to worry about this as opposed to something like torn pleats. The leaf spring should have held the end cap tight and the potting material is flexible so it would seal against the end cap even if loose.

But yeah it doesn't feel good when that happens. They probably used bottom of the barrel [censored] potting agents coupled with poor adhesion to metal. This is just another in a long line of quality issues with their filters. I prefer fiber end caps because it's easier to bond to that instead of metal. Even with the end cap falling off you'll see the potting material stuck firm to the fibrous filter media itself.

Anybody ever see a metal endcap popped off of a Wix made filter? I haven't. Seems like an easy fix for this issue is available...
crazy.gif

I have seen them pop off Motorcraft's though. The consensus has always been its not much of an issue since the spring and oil pressure keep all the components tightly together.

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
I have seen them pop off Motorcraft's though. The consensus has always been its not much of an issue since the spring and oil pressure keep all the components tightly together.

True but again Puro made. It probably isn't much of an issue, but they shouldn't do that. Never seen a Wix made metal endcap pop off so clearly it is not impossible to keep them on.

FRAM TG's and Extra Guards don't even have end caps.

Guess the Purolators are trying to evolve into FRAMs.

If Purolator's ADBVs become ineffective, the bypass valves stop opening correctly, and the number of media pleats start diminishing, it may be time to just paint them orange.

Not my technique of cutting it open. I've cut open a lot of filters... Yes the leaf spring kept it all together. But the glue was dark color and getting brittle. Not cool for an $11 filter to do that. a $7 AC Delco doesn't do that from what I've seen. And for my application of the SB Chevy's, the filter are upright, so the anti-drain back valve is pretty much USELESS unless I'm missing something about the ADBV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
FRAM TG's and Extra Guards don't even have end caps.

Guess the Purolators are trying to evolve into FRAMs.

If Purolator's ADBVs become ineffective, the bypass valves stop opening correctly, and the number of media pleats start diminishing, it may be time to just paint them orange.

This is not true. The Fram extra guard and Tough guards use
fiber board end discs to seal the ends of the media..

Here is a YouTube video showing some different filters

https://youtu.be/mFVNESOwLyk

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
I have seen them pop off Motorcraft's though. The consensus has always been its not much of an issue since the spring.....keep all the components tightly together.

This. As long as leaf spring is functioning as designed and potting intact on dissection, not in bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back