P0401 1995 Tacoma 2.4

Kept getting this code. Truck has 331k but engine replaced 9k ago with a low mileage engine from a 96 or 97. Would have to check receipts from father in law who owned it since 1998. EGR looked ok and held vacuum, modulator was new. I assumed intake port was clogged. Took it apart and found this metal tube was clogged. I tried carb cleaner, brake cleaner, straight degreaser, ultrasonic cleaner, oven cleaner, compressed air, but wouldn’t come clean. Finally I clamped it to a gate outside and fired up the gas pressure washer with the 15 degree tip. Didn’t clear it out after a few blasts so I swapped for the 0 degree tip. About 5 seconds of that and water started spraying out the other side. It worked! Didn’t have to buy a new EGR valve. No more CEL and it does seem to run better but I don’t know if that’s the EGR system finally working or blasting carb cleaner through all the ports I could while the valve and all the hoses were off. I had also cleaned the EGR temp sensor with a wire brush. It was coated in deposits but cleaned up nice.

IMG_1278.jpeg

IMG_1279.jpeg

Finally I clamped it to a gate outside and fired up the gas pressure washer with the 15 degree tip. Didn’t clear it out after a few blasts so I swapped for the 0 degree tip. About 5 seconds of that and water started spraying out the other side. It worked!
hahaha,, this is great! Another fabulous "hold my beer" moment. Glad it worked for you. I've taken diesel manifolds and EGR systems to the public car wash myself.

It was definitely one of those things where I figured it would either work or I’d have to get a new valve. I was surprised all the other stuff I did didn’t clear it up but probably softened it enough to get cleared by 3000psi pressure washer an 0 degree tip. That’s a lot of force! Been driving it since then and no CEL so it seems to have done the trick.

Back