Owner of a Ram TRX decides they've had enough of Burning Man, leaves with camper.

HUH? Isn't it like, sand?
Its more like cement. Yes, there is sand but it's not like what you see on tv with Sahara dunes. It's so dry that the ground can't absorb it and the top layer of sand turns to mud and muck.
The NV desert ground is composed of a compound called caliche. Hard as can be so the water just pools instead of being absorbed

Just imagine it all turning into thick gooey quicksand from all that rain that isn't soaking into the ground.

As one article about Nevada I read years ago said: "A winch might occasionally be useful, assuming you had about a thousand feet of cable to go along with it...."

Just imagine it all turning into thick gooey quicksand from all that rain that isn't soaking into the ground.

And then that mud hardening back after everyone dug their tires in from trying to get unstuck! That's my worry.

As one article about Nevada I read years ago said: "A winch might occasionally be useful, assuming you had about a thousand feet of cable to go along with it...."
You can use a land anchor to pull yourself out of soft stuff. Or bury the spare tire and winch off of it. You won't find any trees, that's for sure

If you scroll down in the tweet, there are pictures of what it all looked like when he finally got to the first town.

Next time, put the steps up on the rental camper... dummy.

I don't have twitter, can't scroll down. What does it look like?

Its more like cement. Yes, there is sand but it's not like what you see on tv with Sahara dunes. It's so dry that the ground can't absorb it and the top layer of sand turns to mud and muck.
The NV desert ground is composed of a compound called caliche. Hard as can be so the water just pools instead of being absorbed

We've got Adobe clay here I call Turbo Mud.

The least bit of rain makes it extremely slick but also sticky. Suddenly your shoes are 3x their weight. If you get caught out on some of our mtn bike trails you're suddenly trying to portage a 70# bike -- it just literally stops your wheels from rolling as it builds up immediately in the fork and rear triangle.

And yeah, hardens like cement. There's a reason ancient civilizations could build Adobe homes from the stuff.

Back