Oversize engine oil filter for Honda fit 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ST2008
It would be great if we can send our used filter some where for efficiency analysis.

Only way to really accurately test the efficiency of a used oil filter would be per ISO 4548-12. You can have independent test labs do that test, but it would cost a ton of money.

I was able to change the oil and filter this past week end then drive about 500 miles with the Royal Purple Model:10-2808. No leaks and fits well. I have placed oil on the receiving flat surface of the block engine that receives the filter and then applied a piece of paper on top of it to measure the ID and OD of it. I will post later. Here are a few pictures of the filter before and after. Lots of room to spare to accommodate even larger filters. Oh and I nearly had a full level of oil in the engine. I did not do an oil analysis but the kit came today so you guys will have to wait another year for an oil analysis.

See pics. attached.

Congrats on the managing to use the 3593A/9688 application size. Obviously then no filter OD restriction as you noted for the wider application as compared to the paulstravelpics application. Gasket size and block mesh area never an issue for the 7317-3593a Honda interchange, just filter OD limitation.

Makes the 09 Fit unique as compared to 08-09 and beyond Accord/Civic which cannot accommodate the wider application because of block restrictions.

Hello all,
I have scanned the footprint of the flange receiving the filter on the fit manual 09 (Japan built if that matters). I then used image J to measure the radii (I actually fitted an ellipsoid for better precision).

Results are:
O.D. 73.34mm (2.89")
I.D. 56.11mm (2.21")
See picture below.

So, what other oversized filters with glass media can I then use in the future?

Cheers to all.
Hydro

Originally Posted By: binga
Hello all,
Results are:
O.D. 73.34mm (2.89")
I.D. 56.11mm (2.21")

Most of synthetic filter's gasket ID =2.13" (54mm) and are not for your engine!!!
Especially Amsoil EA15K20 (ID=2.05"). But EA15K12 and EA15K13 ID=2.13.
By the way, before 2013 EAO20 (predecessor of Ea15K20) had ID=2.173".
Are you sure, that 10-2808 has 2.13 correctly (not 2.05?)

p.s. for example, Subaru has less problems of choice: ID (for gasket) on engine(metal)=52mm, that's a lot of synthetic filters (except EA15K20) will fit.

Last edited:
I would be very careful with this project myself your asking a lot of these filters doing 25-29k miles even with increased size. Let's just say you have very good wearing Honda which most are since their all inline engines for most part clogging the filter won't be the issue. If I was you I'd be more worried about filter breaking down on long interval like that. Not to mention not knowing UOA and tbn of the oil.

If I was you I'd send in that UOA with tbn at 15k and see what they say at blackstone, if your good resample at 20k and again at 25 and then cut the filter open and see if pleats and end caps are still good.

My guess is pleats won't be fully intact at 25k and I don't think you'll make it to 25k unless you do a lot of makeup oil during those miles essentially boosting your tbn along the way. We'll see what happens I guess definitely keep us updated.

This is kinda crazy to me haha, most people you see attempting these type of intervals run bypass setups lol. Good on you though should be interesting.

Hondas with the filter on the side of the block are the easiest to oversize. I got a BUNCH of different styles of XXL M20x1.5 filters. The biggest one is a Carquest (Wix) 85182. Probably a little bigger than you want.

OilFilterData.com has some pretty good information that you might be interested in. Irishman

I use a Baldwin B202 on my '06 S2000
Here are some pic's of a B7042 that I took off my S2000(the B202 is the same size as the B7042 but has a higher by-pass pressure)

http://s949.photobucket.com/user/rrounds/library/Oil Filters?sort=2&page=1

As you can see its not even close to the size your running now, I run these filters for 15k to 16k miles on my S. So if you have the room take a look at the Baldwin filter.

ROD

Originally Posted By: baguio12
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Izb
Baldwin? 50% at 20u?

No. For any application, you can simply email Hastings/Baldwin and they'll give you the data.

Who asked you, s hit breath?

Someone is not a happy camper.

The troll has been doing this in multiple threads. Mods were already notified apparently. I'm sure it will go back to the abyss where it came from quite soon.

Originally Posted By: Run
Originally Posted By: baguio12
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Izb
Baldwin? 50% at 20u?

No. For any application, you can simply email Hastings/Baldwin and they'll give you the data.

Who asked you, s hit breath?

Someone is not a happy camper.

More like a banned camper very soon.

There has been a great deal of testing with the data and recommended miles.
ZO has posted plenty of this info ...
Some choose to follow - some exceed or change early. (Almost like oil' eh?) ...

To me, joy is just being able to use the same XG or M1 filter on my Ford or GM - and the oversized is on the larger motor ...
(And not so trusting of MC as I used to be) ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back