Oversize engine oil filter for Honda fit 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I am using AMSOIL oil signature for my Honda fit 2009 sport trim since I bought it. I change my oil once a year or every 25000 miles. I would like to find an oversize oil filter for my car because it is cumbersome to change the filter and lose oil after 15,000 miles. Amsoil used to carry the EAO oil filer good for 25K miles but they discontinued it. Right now, I am either using the:

Amsoil filter EA EA15K13-EA (Height:3.35" Diameter:2.67" Displacement:?? in³)
Mobil M1-110 (Height:3.62" Diameter:2.75" Displacement:21.50 in³)
Royal purple 10-2867 *FI (Height:3.62" Diameter:2.75" Displacement:21.50 in³).
All of these filters use synthetic media and use the M20x15 thread.

Further research shows that the gasket size is:
EA15K13-EA: Gasket OD: 2.47" ID: 2.13"

M1-110: OD: ??" ID: ??"

10-2867 *FI: OD: 2.47" ID: 2.13"

By using this website (http://oilfilterdata.com/), it seems that I could get larger capacity filters like :

Royal Purple Model:10-2808 Height:3.62" Diameter:3.15" Displacement:28.21 in³ but gasket is OD: 2.450" ID: 2.13"
Purolator L14619 (very large however, it is not all synthetic): Height:3.75" Diameter:3.69" Displacement:40.10 in, gasket OD: 2.847" ID: 2.477"

So, thus far the Royal purple seems to be good but it is only 30% more capactity compared to what I am using actually. Do you guys know of a filter with synthetic medium that is oversized and with a higher capacity than 28.21cm3 that would fit?

The other route would be to go with a bypass oil filter but I am not sure it can be done for the Honda Fit.

Thanks for reading. Cheers to all.

I was told that oil color has nothing to do with oil performance. I have never done an oil analysis, so I am not sure for certain, but the exhaust is clean, I do not burn oil much (pretty much full or close to full when I change my oil after a year or 25000 miles, one year I went 28000 miles), the engine is handling well and mpg still is good (better than advertised, calculated, not using the computer: personal best is 43 mpg on state road driving 50mph).

My question pertains to oil filter, not oil. I stick to my 5w20 Amsoil signature oil. Thanks for reading.

my best guess would be 75% Highway 25% town but where I live, I do not have much traffic.

That car has been awesome for me. I am the first owner and only have changed the oil and filter and the tires since April 2009. I wanted to change the serpentine belt the other day and it looked very good, so I keep it with my spare tire for now. No timing belt, so great savings here. AC still is icy cold (Florida). Tested the spark plugs which tested fine. I also occasionally tow a trailer to haul dirt and other stuff, I also have a rack that I drilled through when the car was brand new (hauling kayaks and other stuff). The jazz in Europe is rated to tow 1500 pounds. I will drive it until it dies and will buy another fit when it does.

OK, so anyone here can answer specifically my question? :)

OK, when it comes to fitment of oversized filters, there are a bunch of issues to look at.

1.) Is obviously the thread dia and pitch. That's a gimmie. But still gotta check.

2.) Is the filter mounting surface flat and machined smooth all across (?), or is it cast and machined with a ring for the gasket? If it's smooth all across, the actual gasket diameter can move somewhat and that opens up other possibilities
smile.gif

You need to measure the outside diameter of the flat6 gasket mounting surface. On my wife's Jag it is 1/2" bigger than the filter, so I could install a truck filter if I wanted
laugh.gif

3.) What is the OEM relief pressure? You can go say 5~10 psi higher, but I always advise against going lower, or you by-pass much more often (not good) ...

4.) What are the outside clearance issues? Is there a pipe or motor casting nearby that limits the diameter?

5.) Is there something limiting the length?

With all that info in hand, I suggest going to a Napa Auto Parts house and having them cross all that into the filter books and give you the biggest Napa Gold (WIX) filter that will work. They can look at hydraulic system filters too, so much bigger selection
smile.gif

Go home and install that filter. If it seems to fit nicely and seals well, you have your master number. It will directly cross to a WIX by lopping off the first two digits IIRC ... Once you have the WIX number, you can go anywhere and cross it to any other filter of interest like Fram Ultra, Baldwin, etc.

The larger Napa Gold (WIX) will be good for at least 10~12K, and maybe the whole 25,000
smile.gif
They are really well made and generally hold up to a lot of abuse w/o issue
smile.gif

Now saying that, I strongly suggest getting a UOA ASAP. You need to know if the TBN is holding up well enough. You do not want acidic oil circulating in that motor ...

Originally Posted By: binga
Right now, I am either using the:

Amsoil filter EA EA15K13-EA (Height:3.35" Diameter:2.67" Displacement:?? in³)
Mobil M1-110 (Height:3.62" Diameter:2.75" Displacement:21.50 in³)
Royal purple 10-2867 *FI (Height:3.62" Diameter:2.75" Displacement:21.50 in³).
All of these filters use synthetic media and use the M20x15 thread.

Those are basically already the "over sized" filters in that class of filter. Your Honda Fit doesn't really need anything larger than any of those filters.

If you're running your oil that long (25K), which seems a bit long, I'd recommend something like the Fram Ultra XG7317 (or similar full synthetic filter) and change oil and filter at 20K if you are mostly highway miles.

The oversized filter is really not necessary. The Maintenance Minder calls for a filter change only every other oil change, so a Fit that's following factory service intervals can see the OEM filter in service for 15k to 20k+ miles.

Just stick with a high-capacity synthetic filter like the Fram Ultra XG7317 and you'll be fine.

Thank you for the very thorough response.

I will look at the info you requested. Will first do my oil change, get some oil sample out to Blackstone labs as recommended.

1- thread diam and pitch is mentioned in my post: M20x 1.5
2- the filter mounting surface is all flat and smooth all across. Just not sure of the thickness of that flat surface but I will take my caliper and measure it once I change the filter.

There is nothing around the filter. The only limitation would be the depth, but as far as I remember, there is plenty of room to work around.

Thanks.

I have these OEM and aftermarket oil filters on my Honda S2000 the last 12 years:

Honda PCX-004: OD 3.2”, H 3.2”, Gasket: ID: 2.2” X OD: 2.45”
WIX 51347(OD 2.9” X H 4.8”), 51344(OD 3.2” X H 4.1”)
Fram XG3593A(OD 3.02” X H 3.39”, Gasket: ID: 2.13” X OD: 2.42”)
Fram XG3985(OD 3.66” X H 3.69”, Gasket: ID: 2.47” X OD: 2.75”)

The two Fram's are synthetic, others are regular.

If Wix has synthetic 51347XP then that is the one you are looking for, assume that the Fit has room for it.

Thanks! I indeed have seems on other forums people using filters that normally go on the S2000. However. the 51347XP does not exist. The only have the regular cellulose filter 51347. Their XP catalog only shows the 51348XP.

So I have bought two filters. The one I normally use and that is recommended for my car 10-2867 and the oversized 10-2808 with 30% more capacity. The gasket is a bit different on the 10-2808 with an o ring feel to it whilst the 10-2867 has a flat gasket. The two gaskets are interchangeable. What do you guys think? I took pictures attached.

The gaskets are different design. One is a P type, the other a square cut. Not interchangeable. You can try and see what happens. Depending on how the filter is positioned makes a difference. I wouldn't use a larger filter when it's operating base down as it will take longer to fill. Also lowers the running oil level in the pan a bit not that it matters much. Some filters waste a lot of space with combo valves and long springs. So a larger filter outside may actually be a smaller filter inside.

Don't mess with the base gaskets ... leave them in the filter they came on.

Thanks. I will give it a try and check for potential leaks. Hopefully, it will provide me with more filtration capacity. Will report upon testings.

I have a 2K Honda civic, and like you, I also had looked for an oversized filter. But while I was comparing the oil filters, I noticed the "original" filter was also used on the Honda/Acura SUVs and Trucks. For this, I came to this deduction that if my oil filter is also used in a heavy SUV or truck, this probably mean my original filter is already "oversized" and I probably don't need something bigger.

That makes sense. Just trying to change my oil filter less often as I only do one oil change a year after 22-28K mi. This is the reason of the oversized oil filter as I loose oil when I change it every 15K miles. So, if I can push it to 25K that is easier.

Here's my take based on experience looking at oversize filters for newer model (08 and newer) Hondas. The 9688/3593A, 144459 (used on pre 2001-2002 Hondas) is the next up size to the spec 7317/14610/57356. However most if not all 08 and above Hondas won't fit the wider diameter alternative. And using Paultravelpics site, which is generally reliable when it comes to Honda oil/filter changes, it doesn't appear the wider filter will work on the Fit either. There looks to be what I'll call an engine block restriction vein, which appears to be very close to the outer diameter of the spec 7317 size. 'If' that is the case with your 09, then the 9688/14459 will not work. http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Honda-Fit-Jazz-Engine-Oil-Change-Guide/

Honda-Fit-Jazz-L15A7-i-VTEC-Engine-Oil-Change-Guide-008.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back