OVERFILLED...again... by dealership. Leave it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CKN
Because the dealer charges $33.00 for a conventional oil change-and I have never had any issues.

OH-and I'm not crawling underneath my car for the $33.00.......

Rhino ramps makes it fairly easy. The hardest part is getting the ramps centered with the tires.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
This is why you DIY oil changes its gets done right.

Agreed. Makes me wonder why people are still taking their cars to a dealer for oil changes.

Because the dealer charges $33.00 for a conventional oil change-and I have never had any issues.

It's not about money for me. The hassle, and the risk of them screwing it up makes it worth it for me to run it up a set of ramps and do it myself. I know its done right, and no game playing like pay for synthetic and get dino, them overfilling it [tons of posts about that], stripped drain plugs, over tightened filters, the list goes on and on. My dealership charges $8 as long as I own the car I bought from them. It's loss leader shot at upsell, no thanks. They saw me twice in 10 years, once to buy the car and once for a warranty repair.

As long as it isn’t blowing smoke everywhere you’ll be fine. Half a quart is well within the margin of error.

Rhino ramps makes it fairly easy. The hardest part is getting the ramps centered with the tires.

Merk...I would still have to crawl under the car......

I wouldn't even worry about 1 quart over. Many dealers do it because there's so many oil burners around and it gives the engine a better chance when it's slightly over filled. Subaru did this on my Forester and I wasn't concerned. I'd drain a little if over 1quart/L but anything less and you're worrying for nothing. There's no way it can cause damage with such little over filling. The time it messes things up is when they don't drain the oil and add 5 quarts of new oil
lol.gif

Merk...I would still have to crawl under the car......

Yes but you wouldn't have to mess with jacks or jack stands.

Where's your sense of adventure??
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: TheOilWizard
Take it right back and have them redo the job.

I have seen many inaccurate dipsticks. On several cars, I have scribed a mark on the stick showing the level with the correct quantity in the pan. Quarter inch over isn't much but you could have the proper amount in there and an inaccurate dipstick.

Last edited:
The industry needs an "oil level cam". It's a camera pointed down the crankshaft as close to axially as can be and has LEDs.

NOTHING will beat my neighbor's plea to check her oil. "My husband keeps adding oil and it still smokes".

I drained 11.5 qts. of oil out of a 2002 Audi 3.0 V-6. It calls for 6.1.

Apologies to those who've seen this before. Doubtless I'll post it again sometime because it's so good.

I have filled mine passed the "Safe" limit right up to the bended part of the dipstick which is about 1 litre above due to a miscalculation and nothing has happened.

1/2 a quart should be fine.

Last edited:

LOL, my hardest part is removing the leaves off the spots where the Rhinos go. Sometimes they just go skating down the pavement which isn't so bad if both ramps skate together. It was ugly Friday when the left front of my GS300 stayed on the sliding ramp but the right front overshot the ramp. Sort of an awkward surgery followed as I delicately removed the ramp that was jammed up between the rocker panel and the right front tire underneath the passenger door.

Originally Posted By: Lubener

I have seen many inaccurate dipsticks. On several cars, I have scribed a mark on the stick showing the level with the correct quantity in the pan. Quarter inch over isn't much but you could have the proper amount in there and an inaccurate dipstick.

How exactly did you determine the dipsticks to be inaccurate?

Well....obligatory weekend knock the dealers thread.....

Sometimes I wonder if some on here can read a dipstick.

Apparently not the dealers who overfilled it. Maybe someone who does this many times a day working as a tech should be able to read it.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I have filled mine passed the "Safe" limit right up to the bended part of the dipstick which is about 1 litre above due to a miscalculation and nothing has happened.

1/2 a quart should be fine.

When the 15 Tahoe came out [5.3 V8] dealers were putting in 8.5 quarts. Some dealers were putting in 9 quarts. In 2016 they went to 8 quarts. The 8.5 and 9 quarts that went into the 2015's had no ill effects.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Well....obligatory weekend knock the dealers thread.....

Sometimes I wonder if some on here can read a dipstick.

Apparently not the dealers who overfilled it. Maybe someone who does this many times a day working as a tech should be able to read it.

My Son-in-law is a Parts Manager and he won't let the "current" Oil Tech's change his oil or touch his car. He has some great stories that if I told you most of you would think I'm lying.

Like where after they fired one Oil Tech, they found 20 or so new oil filters in his bay. Hmmm.
Or they one where an Oil Tech used ATF for the oil change.
Or the numerous ones where they didn't tighten the drain plug properly.
I guess it's those bulk oil containers....

Drive it a few miles park it then check it.Immediately.If the oil is foamy or has bubbles on the stick drain out some.If not you are fine.You have a little extra lube and heat transfer capacity.I think that the amount you described would be well within good engineering tolerances.

I change my old oil. If it is supposed to hold 5 quarts, I put 5 in and see where the level ends up after it sits over night.I then mark it.

Last edited:
I don't think it matters. But if it really bothers you, you gotta drain some out. I would talk with the service manager just to let him/her know.

I change my old oil. If it is supposed to hold 5 quarts, I put 5 in and see where the level ends up after it sits over night.I then mark it.

I'm going to disagree with the idea that you discovered a major manufacturing mistake across multiple vehicles (that the manufacture hadn't recalled) and suggest to you that perhaps the capacities listed in your manual are approximations for reference, and the dipstick determines proper oil level. I know this may come as a surprise to some, but I've seen this language across many of the major manufactures in service and owners manuals. Marking a new MAX line on your dipstick doesn't change the fact that it's overfilled.

My Civic burns little oil. Because of this, I always fill 1/2 quart over the max and I never have any problem. If you're really worry about the overfill, you can buy a cheap manual vacuum pump and suck the oil out via the dipstick tube.

Edit: I'm pretty sure engineers from any car maker had designed the car oil pan with a "buffer zone" to prevent the "overfill"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back