Overfill (or so says the dipstick) but not sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In any case I wouldn't worry about it at all.

A few more or less ounces of oil won't cause any problems, heck as long as the car has oil registering on the dipstick at all you are usually safe. But everything is fine as long as the reading is slightly above the full mark as well, now if you overfill by more than 1.5 -2 quarts then you might have a problem.

Originally Posted By: afoulk
Just checked my oil level agian tonight, and while it read at the full line after changing it and running the car a few minutes to check for leaks, and then letting it sit a while (I do the same procedure everytime), tonight it read slightly above full, but the oil was hot and the car had sat for about 15mins. I normally check the oil first thing in the morning before leaving for work, So obviously the oil being hot has something to do with it. Got me thinking and was just curious if maybe you usually check it cold and this last time maybe you checked it hot?

Like transmission fluid oil expands a little when hot, but we usually don't see it. Because some oil is still returning to the sump for most of us it appears the opposite, lower. You both see it higher, so its something to do with that engine design.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: afoulk
Just checked my oil level agian tonight, and while it read at the full line after changing it and running the car a few minutes to check for leaks, and then letting it sit a while (I do the same procedure everytime), tonight it read slightly above full, but the oil was hot and the car had sat for about 15mins. I normally check the oil first thing in the morning before leaving for work, So obviously the oil being hot has something to do with it. Got me thinking and was just curious if maybe you usually check it cold and this last time maybe you checked it hot?

Like transmission fluid oil expands a little when hot, but we usually don't see it. Because some oil is still returning to the sump for most of us it appears the opposite, lower. You both see it higher, so its something to do with that engine design.

Yes, but when I check mine first thing in the morning before leaving for work, my oil level is right at the full mark. If it were like your suggesting, i would think it would be even higher than when I check it hot. I would think after sitting for 15min. after driving it, all or most of the oil should have drained into the pan. doesn't bother me either way, I was just throwing it out there for the OP, maybe thats why his reads high.

Not to confuse things, I was comparing what we normally see to what he's seeing, gave a possibility why. If that engine design the oil doesn't hang around up top very long, then he may see (just like a transmission) a higher reading while the oil is still hot and expanded a little. If this is true, then an overnight sit would show the oil spot on in the morning.

I checked it after it sat overnight. Oil was cold!

I just looked again now and it is showing like 1/2" over the full mark. It is just so strange because the oil was drained for a long time until it just barely dripped... Filter was the same, the jug was the same I used, etc... I double checked the amount I put in and what is left in the 5qt jug is .6qt... So I don't really understand why it would be reading higher.

I am tempted to put the car on ramps next week and drain out the oil filter of whatever oil is in it and reinstall it.

Last edited:
If you saved the jug why not just drain it, pour it back into the jug, measure, pour it back in?
grin2.gif

If I have 2 choices: Under-fill by 1/4-1/2 quart or over-fill by 1/4-1/2 quart, I would under-fill by 1/4-1/2 quart then after few days top off to full mark if needed.

Top off is much easier and cleaner than drain out the excess.

Originally Posted By: skyship
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
So, you've run the engine since the oil change, right? You could have some fuel dilution, which would raise level.

UMM! Only if he put the fuel nozzle in the oil cap!

Some engines have at least 10% residual oil after draining even when hot, so if a car should hold 5 ltrs, just add 4 ltrs and check the dipstick, BUT don't add more than a half litre until the car is run again etc.

The amount he's seeing on the dipstick can very easily be attributed to a few percent fuel dilution. OP, unless your UOA is showing zero fuel dilution, it may be that the analysis used is simply under-reporting the amount. 3% fuel dilution into 4.3 quarts of oil is 0.13 quarts or 4 oz, which may or may not be noticed on the dipstick.

Also the conditions you drain the oil at for a UOA sample may not be the same as how the car as been operated over the past couple of days since your oil change. If your driving habits have changed, then fuel dilution could be the reason.

The oil you've used for the past two changes - were they purchased at the same time? It could be that the jugs were over-filled or the increments improperly marked.

Finally, 0.3 quarts is NOT a big deal. My STI usually shows as full on the dipstick after 4.8 quarts; 4 quarts will get me to the Add mark. I don't think twice about dumping leaving the bottle in the fill port until it has dripped nearly entirely empty. IMO, there is no issues with being slightly over-full, and, in certain applications, is beneficial.

In summary, add as much as is called for and don't worry about being over-full by such a measly amount. It really doesn't matter. If it does bother you, then dump in 4 quarts and forget about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back