Outrageous engineering! Whirlpool WRS325FDAM pleated condenser coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI-a dirty evaporator is bad too, it causes loss of cooling (if the evap ices over), and possible liquid refrigerant flood back to the compressor, which can damage valves or cause it to pump oil out into the system.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by Colt45ws
Does Whirlpool actually make anything? Arent they just a brand now. Our last fridge was a whirlpool and it was just a LG with a different badge.

No. Whirlpool is a huge appliance maker and now owns many different brands like Maytag, Jenn Air, Amana, ect.

LG has no connection to Whirlpool, not to mention that LG appliances are junk especially their fridges there is a huge lawsuit pending for all LG fridges that were made with their linear compressor that is in almost all their recent fridges. They almost all fail after 2-3 years.

yep, Whirlpool has 2 plants within 45 min of me. one makes Freezers, one Dishwashers.(one, I think the Freezer plant in Ottawa,OH, was Formerly WC Wood. Whirlpool bought the plant when they went under)
(Kenmore was also a whirlpool brand btw)

don't tell me that about LG... My Parents just bought an LG Fridge to replace a 26 yr old whirlpool that was on it's last legs...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Interesting fact. "Dirty" condenser coils have essentially no impact on the efficiency of refrigeration systems.

http://theconversation.com/skip-thi...probably-wont-make-it-work-better-113158

Note: Yes this link is about coils on a HVAC system, but these coils are infinitely more dirty than anything you'll find on the coils of a refrigerator.

A LOT of holes in this article:

1. Dirt vs capacity: they're measuring in grams of dirt per ft^2
-----Why was there a substantial increase when 6 grams of dirt/ft^2 was removed, but no benefit to cleaning 8 grams/ft^2 of dirt?
-----Guess: dirt is not dirt. Tightly-adherent dirt that accumulates and has good insulation properties isn't the same as a 8g coating of pollent, I would guess

2. Turbulence: To say that dirt likely contributes to turbulence makes me lose ALL respect for this article. If dirt is covering the coils or fins, then cooling capacity is lost - fact! In an air heat-exchanger, with tightly-packed coils and fins, what kind of flow does the author think is present?

//

Explanation (my opinion): A/C systems are designed to cool/heat to a design specs with an assumed dirt load. I would assume the cooling capacity, motor cycles and refrigerant pressures are designed with a certain dirt load as a part of the design assumptions.

I'm sure the designers also realize that most of the jamokes they sell these things to won't do any maintenance on the condenser coils and have designed for that.

//

Finally, to say that a dirty A/C heat exhanger will operate more efficiently is stupid.

I second the leaf blower. Worked great on the 30 year old fridge that came with our house, I moved it to the basement through our Bilco doors and blasted it on the way. Absolutely gross filled with gray and black dust. Probably a basketball sized pile after.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Interesting fact. "Dirty" condenser coils have essentially no impact on the efficiency of refrigeration systems.

Note: Yes this link is about coils on a HVAC system, but these coils are infinitely more dirty than anything you'll find on the coils of a refrigerator.

A LOT of holes in this article:

1. Dirt vs capacity: they're measuring in grams of dirt per ft^2
-----Why was there a substantial increase when 6 grams of dirt/ft^2 was removed, but no benefit to cleaning 8 grams/ft^2 of dirt?
-----Guess: dirt is not dirt. Tightly-adherent dirt that accumulates and has good insulation properties isn't the same as a 8g coating of pollent, I would guess

2. Turbulence: To say that dirt likely contributes to turbulence makes me lose ALL respect for this article. If dirt is covering the coils or fins, then cooling capacity is lost - fact! In an air heat-exchanger, with tightly-packed coils and fins, what kind of flow does the author think is present?

//

Explanation (my opinion): A/C systems are designed to cool/heat to a design specs with an assumed dirt load. I would assume the cooling capacity, motor cycles and refrigerant pressures are designed with a certain dirt load as a part of the design assumptions.

I'm sure the designers also realize that most of the jamokes they sell these things to won't do any maintenance on the condenser coils and have designed for that.

//

Finally, to say that a dirty A/C heat exhanger will operate more efficiently is stupid.

Ya I have no idea but here's a link to the study. I thought the article was itself interesting.

ASHRAE

Last edited:

Like others who are actually in the business state, this article isn't reputable.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

]Trust me, I do refrigeration for a living, so you're in my wheelhouse on this one! As airflow over the CONDENSER a decreases due to dirt, bad fan, etc., the head pressure of the compressor climbs until it gets high enough to condense the refrigerant at the hotter temperature. Many commercial applications, and even some automotive ones, use a high pressure cut out switch to prevent damage-but most home A/C and refrigerators DON'T have one! So the coil and compressor get hotter, run times get longer, and compressor failure becomes more likely. Excessive head pressure is hard on everything, especially the newer R-410A/Puron A/C systems-they routinely run 400 PSI high side pressure in hot weather.

Wow you have some really detailed accurate information there...thanks friend.
I did a little research and sure enough what you stated is all correct.

I'm going to try the reverse air blower on our shop vac and place a large black 50 gal plastic bag against the bottom on the coil area...I'll post back with a follow up.

There is no question that the think blanket of lint (probably from the nearby dryer!) is affecting the ability of the evaporator coils and condenser coils to do their jobs.

My question is why would they design these coils in such a fashion unless they wanted the unit to fail quicker???!!?!

Seems like a no brainer for them to offer an optional filter for the ventilation duct at the back of the unit to prevent such high build up and they can charge for it too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle

]Trust me, I do refrigeration for a living, so you're in my wheelhouse on this one! As airflow over the CONDENSER a decreases due to dirt, bad fan, etc., the head pressure of the compressor climbs until it gets high enough to condense the refrigerant at the hotter temperature. Many commercial applications, and even some automotive ones, use a high pressure cut out switch to prevent damage-but most home A/C and refrigerators DON'T have one! So the coil and compressor get hotter, run times get longer, and compressor failure becomes more likely. Excessive head pressure is hard on everything, especially the newer R-410A/Puron A/C systems-they routinely run 400 PSI high side pressure in hot weather.

Wow you have some really detailed accurate information there...thanks friend.
I did a little research and sure enough what you stated is all correct.

I'm going to try the reverse air blower on our shop vac and place a large black 50 gal plastic bag against the bottom on the coil area...I'll post back with a follow up.

There is no question that the thick blanket of lint (probably from the nearby dryer!) is affecting the ability of the evaporator coils and condenser coils to do their jobs.

My question is why would they design these coils in such a fashion unless they wanted the unit to fail quicker???!!?!

Seems like a no brainer for them to offer an optional filter for the ventilation duct at the back of the unit to prevent such high build up and they can charge for it too.

Like others who are actually in the business state, this article isn't reputable.

If you want to read the study cited in the article here is it but it's behind a pay wall.

ASHRAE

Keep in mind the authors of the study are members of the ASHRAE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back