Ordered HPL Engine Cleaner - Here is the Plan!

Maybe a test of the "new and improved" Fram Ultra o_O
Concerns about the Ultra are a nothingburger. Specs are the same, there haven’t been any photos of torn spin-on Ultras, and if you’re super worried about it you can always buy the Endurance.

I, for one, will use all the Ultras I have on the shelf regardless if they have the wire backing or not, until proven that they’re failure-prone. 👍🏻

Concerns about the Ultra are a nothingburger. Specs are the same, there haven’t been any photos of torn spin-on Ultras, and if you’re super worried about it you can always buy the Endurance.

I, for one, will use all the Ultras I have on the shelf regardless if they have the wire backing or not, until proven that they’re failure-prone. 👍🏻

I've continued using them and cut every one of em when done. I haven't seen any issues to date.

Ditto on running it longer. I ran it twice through my BMW for 3750 miles. (My normal OCI is 7500 miles)
I ran it in my Tundra for 6500 miles....just because.

Not to derail the thread but I did notice the different looking construction of the Ultra and decided to go with the “higher quality” endurance. I opened five boxes of the endurance just to find one filter that didn’t look like it had a defect in it. I’m talking big spaces in the pleated filter material, glue/adhesive dripping off the end caps down into the pleats. In the end I settled on one that had a decent size gap between the pleats, but without much glue falling down the end caps.

Maybe all that^^ is nothing at all to worry about, but it sure looks like some poor quality control in my book. And again, if it’s nothing, then great, none of it matters.

We will never agree this is nothing when cheap filters don’t do this
(Fram XG10575)

IMG_8618.jpeg

Vehicle is 17 Subaru Outback 3.6. Next OCI is 154k. I'm planning on draining a quart and replacing it with 1 quart of HPL cleaner for 1k run before the OCI is due. The filter used is my usual; Fram Ultra. I'll cut it and post up images. I also plan on sending what I believe will be UOA #6 on this vehicle to see what we get. I did have a question: Will the HPL cleaner skew the UOA results? I'm not seeing how it wouldn't but better to ask those with a better knowledge base than me.

My personal thoughts are 150k+ to date and haven't had a single mechanical failure. Failures have been liftgate issues, battery drain, split leather on seats, trim; all the basic issues Subaru has had with the 17 Limited and a few other years. I don't think there will be much to see in the filter but hey, you never know. We shall see!
Isnt it really meant to be more like a flush? 2k and dump it. I believe they actually referred to it as a flush at first.
I would imagine it would be fine to leave it in for the full oci and change the filter halfway through or even a few times throughout the OCI. Personally I would just go straight to their motor oil and change/ inspect the filter after 1k miles or so and make a determination of when to change the filter again from there.

Isnt it really meant to be more like a flush? 2k and dump it. I believe they actually referred to it as a flush at first.
I would imagine it would be fine to leave it in for the full oci and change the filter halfway through or even a few times throughout the OCI. Personally I would just go straight to their motor oil and change/ inspect the filter after 1k miles or so and make a determination of when to change the filter again from there.

I don't have innate knowledge on HPL cleaner to be able to answer. That is why I posted. I'm glad I did. Some good information was provided.

Not a flush and yes, original name was changed. It's just a straight-grade oil with additional esters to help promote cleaning. I think even the filter changing etc. is way overkill here unless your engine is HAMMERED, just use it for a normal 3-5K oil change and dump it. They promote this as something you use ahead of switching over to their oil which has more cleaning "power" than this product.

Not to derail the thread but I did notice the different looking construction of the Ultra and decided to go with the “higher quality” endurance. I opened five boxes of the endurance just to find one filter that didn’t look like it had a defect in it. I’m talking big spaces in the pleated filter material, glue/adhesive dripping off the end caps down into the pleats. In the end I settled on one that had a decent size gap between the pleats, but without much glue falling down the end caps.

Maybe all that^^ is nothing at all to worry about, but it sure looks like some poor quality control in my book. And again, if it’s nothing, then great, none of it matters.
^^ Try this ^^

Have you actually read the official thread from HPL on how to use their EC and oils to best protect your engine, or do you just enjoy giving bad advice?

The Engine Cleaner is not a flush. HPL does not recommend going directly to their PCEOs on high mileage engines, either.

When Auto-RX was all the rage on this site they recommended using 'dino' oil in the rinse phase (the oil change after the Auto-RX was used) for best cleaning results. Would that also be the case when using HPL Engine Cleaner?

When Auto-RX was all the rage on this site they said to use 'dino' oil in the rinse phase (the oil change after the Auto-RX was used) for best results. Would that also be the case when using HPL Engine Cleaner?
I highly doubt it, because HPL has said to use the EC then move directly to their oil if everything else is well with the engine.

Reactions: pbm
When Auto-RX was all the rage on this site they recommended using 'dino' oil in the rinse phase (the oil change after the Auto-RX was used) for best cleaning results. Would that also be the case when using HPL Engine Cleaner?
No

Back