Options for an oil burner

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quart of oil every 1000 miles isn't even all that bad. That rate of consumption used to be considered "normal".

If there's a TSB on it I'd have a go at Toyota. If nothing there, it might be worth trying one of the suggested cleaning oils. It might work, and what could it hurt? If no joy there I'd try a heavier weight 0W-30 oil (eg Syntec). And if that doesn't work I'd drive it for a while. Maybe a long while. Once it starts to smoke or smell, it's time for a rebuild. No-one likes or needs that.

Quart of oil per 1000 miles is bad. Per 1000 kms is worse. I'd definitely go the absolute cheapest 5/10/15w40. I'm about to try some 15W40 on my Toyota V6 which is burning a little. 5w30 is not slowing it down much.

If you can get to a quart every 2000-3000 miles, I'd consider that a big win given its current consumption.

Originally Posted By: KL31
Quart of oil per 1000 miles is bad. Per 1000 kms is worse.

He does say a quart per 1000 miles.

Many manufacturers won't touch an engine burning a quart in 1000 miles because they consider that "normal". Using a quart in 1000 miles or less used to be considered one indication of a good running engine. That said, I'd rather my vehicles didn't burn any. (And they don't.)

I'd try Castrol Syntec 0W-30 in either the poster's vehicle or in your Toyota. It's a heavy 30 weight, almost a 40 weight. It does well at staying in grade. And the 0W- will help with all the "cold" starts and restarts in the Prius.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Originally Posted By: KL31
Quart of oil per 1000 miles is bad. Per 1000 kms is worse.

He does say a quart per 1000 miles.

Many manufacturers won't touch an engine burning a quart in 1000 miles because they consider that "normal". Using a quart in 1000 miles or less used to be considered one indication of a good running engine. That said, I'd rather my vehicles didn't burn any. (And they don't.)

I'd try Castrol Syntec 0W-30 in either the poster's vehicle or in your Toyota. It's a heavy 30 weight, almost a 40 weight. It does well at staying in grade. And the 0W- will help with all the "cold" starts and restarts in the Prius.

LOL no that's not what you call normal that is what you call warranty avoidance!

I'm surprised there's not some legal action pending on this. Subaru had a similar issue with the 2012 Impreza when some defective or incorrect rings were installed in the cars. They ended up putting new motors in a LOT of cars. A half quart in a thousand miles got you a new motor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back