Opinions: These small displacement turbos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
The US is finally catching up!! Small displacement turbocharged engines have been mainstream in almost every country for decades EXCEPT the US!!

There are two types of countries in the world.

Those that use the metric system, and those that have put a man on the moon.

But it took a German rocket named Werner man put the US in space and his colleagues got the Russkies there first. Both countries would still be playing with bottle rockets if not for them.
That is the difference between real engineers and tinkerers.

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
The Future or a
Temporary Bridge to the Future

Pretty soon everything will be electric, so this is a stop gap till battery tech advances.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Our Malibu has the 2.0 LTG Turbo (Cadillac ATS, CTS, Camaro and Regal GS use it as well)
It is a good little engine, totally different than all my Mopar turbos from the 80's

We like it is decent on the MPGs and is a pretty smooth engine.

Really like the 2.0 in my 17 Regal GS, decent gas mileage and she runs great, no turbo lag and as stated smooth
cheers3.gif

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/ltg/

I have to say it really surprised me. The no lag blew my mind. It motivates the Malibu really well! It is a good little engine.

Originally Posted By: grampi
I don't think so. I had an '88 LX 5.0 and I raced several of the 2.3 turbos and I never lost to one...

The SVO was detuned specifically to be slower than the 5.0.

A simple manual boost controller and 15 minutes and it'll walk GTs all day.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: grampi
I don't think so. I had an '88 LX 5.0 and I raced several of the 2.3 turbos and I never lost to one...

The SVO was detuned specifically to be slower than the 5.0.

A simple manual boost controller and 15 minutes and it'll walk GTs all day.

The LX notches were faster than the GT's and there was a ton of variability car-to-car. Do you have any actual timeslip data for one of these SVO's that we can compare to? My bolt-on '88 GT hatch would trap 101Mph with over 250,000Km on it and run high 13's, which was pretty decent for those cars.

Heads/cam/intake on the 5.0L would net you close to 300RWHP, put an S-Trim on it and you are at the limits of the stock block and in a light car with a good driver are into the 10's.

The SVO was probably easier to get an additional 50HP out of than the 302 stock-for-stock excluding a spray kit, but it never got the kind of aftermarket support the Windsor did.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
For practicality reasons we now have a car more relatable to this discussion, a VW GTI. It returns about the same 27-29mpg... commuting. All highway trips have averaged hand calculated 34-37mpg depending how I drive it. I don't mind the motor at all other than its a bit dull. My Civic Si with 8200rpm redline was a much more fun engine. Of course it was down 130 pounds of torque over the turbo motor.

Peak torque on this motor drops off big time at a little over 4500rpms because of the way the factory tune and turbo is setup. A tune will correct alot of this, but if you're 6MT you'll need a new clutch first. If I'm driving spirited I'll shift around 4500 to keep in the toque range. But if I want to be civil 34mpg is the norm. Honestly I'd rather not have a vehicle I have to run the snot out of it for that rush of acceleration feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back