Opinions on 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis, 42K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: pacem
I realize it needs a complete paint job about $1000. Also no handling package that got you a different suspension and lower gears but I can live without it I suppose.

There is absolutely no way that car can be painted for $1,000. All of that paint needs to be completely stripped off of every surface and re-done. If the paint is prepped and sanded down and painted, it'll keep peeling from the underside just the same.

My Jeep is white and is doing the same thing.

You are right and I see your point.

I once got a Toyota Camry at an auction, it was a low mile vehicle about 60K but salvaged, wrecked and the repair done cheaply especially with cheap paint that started flaking off in a year. Point a hose at it and it was just flying off much like this example. It was good enough to sell the car looking like new but not durable long-term at all.

paint jobs are expensive. All things considered, the above estimate of $2500 is right on the money. Let's see paint job, plastic intake manifold, that light module issue, and other things listed above. 11 year old car with about 40K miles that probably has been sitting somewhere for years.

Would be a $5500-$6500 car imo if no paint issues, well taken care of, 1 owner, current maintenance, etc. Last one I owned was a senior driven 1998 with 22K miles that I bought in 2004. Paid $8500. 2 years later at 44K miles someone totaled it. Insurance paid $8500 on it.

I'd buy a clean 2006-2008 in a heart beat. You can always find plenty of people that had problems with any car. The complainers rise to the surface.

Well, that model had a couple of recalls but I am not sure it is any less reliable or troublesome than the rest that's out there.

The intake manifold issue was fixed in 2001. It will have the updated manifold with aluminium crossover.

The LCM was also changed for 06, so you avoid that issue.
What you'll want to look at is the u joint on the steering shaft right next to the exhaust manifold. The exhaust heat bakes the grease out of the u-joint when then wears quickly.

Have had two of these cars, looking to get two more.

Last edited:
My '93 Sierra in my sig has the infamous peeling white paint issue, I've gotten estimates to repaint it ranging from $3K to $4K-NO WAY you paint that MGM for $1K-it'll probably cost more than that to straighten the doors & front bumper out alone. There is also a rigged rust repair by the back window as well-my '03 has NO RUST at all (spent its lif in Nashville, TN). I'm not saying they're total POSes-but you can find a better example than that one.

Last edited:
You are going to need to personally inspect this car or have a professional do it for you. Too many potential issue's here to rely on what the seller is, or is not, telling you. These are generally considered to be good cars, but this one might be an exception.

I see your point. You are right.
It's difficult given it's 200 miles away from. And I don't want to drive there only to find out there is a serious problem with it.

On these auctions, you can always bid local and inspect before bidding.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pacem
How difficult are DIY projects like spark plugs and water pump? Tune up and random stuff like starter replacement.

Superficially, it seems like a fairly open engine bay and not a sidewinder like many Japanese.

Plugs are easy-pop off the coils and dig out your 8" socket extension. Water pump isn't too bad. Parts are abundant and cheap.

Water pumps are usually fused in and require a chisel, but nothing catastrophic. Spark plugs may fly though. And watch that intake manifold, even 'corrected' ones may surprise you, but it is an easy job. Also, 2005+ AT are not as durable, just OK. Quite a few retired PI cars here have AT already replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back