Grand Marquis Ls 98 wiper motor

Hi guys I have a Grand Marquis 98 with an issue on wiper motor. Since I bought it, wiper was working only on Hi-Speed, no low speed or intermittent working, also no return to the park location. Reading something about it, found maybe a problem on the switch on power steering column, but today stop working and no idea what it could be the problem. The only thing is working is if I push the button the water for cleaning the windshield is working.
Any idea what I need to check? Fuse is OK.

Hi guys I have a Grand Marquis 98 with an issue on wiper motor. Since I bought it, wiper was working only on Hi-Speed, no low speed or intermittent working, also no return to the park location. Reading something about it, found maybe a problem on the switch on power steering column, but today stop working and no idea what it could be the problem. The only thing is working is if I push the button the water for cleaning the windshield is working.
Well, the only experience I've had was with one truck that I had to replace the wiper motor on it. I'd say get a multi-meter & see if it's getting power to the motor when you have it turned on the wipers. Go from there.

I remember back in the day seeing those cars with windshield wipers hung up in the middle of a windshield. When turned off. It was a common occurrence

The switch stalks from FoMoCo of that era were notorious for failing internally. And since the functionality has decreased incrementally over time, that's what I would look at first. Should be a cheap part, and not difficult to change.
For I already researched on it, looks like could be too, but my motor is not working, I connected direct to the battery and nothing. Thanks

I have a 96 grand marquis with the same problem. It was a known motor failure that typically occurs when you park under trees and wet leaves build up in wiper motor area. Solution is to change wiper motor. My solution is simply wait until it rains and put rain X on during rain at gas station near me. I get the spray from walmart simply use the squeegee to clean and somewhat dry windshield. spray it on and scrub it around squeegee the rain X off and your ready for all but the heaviest down pours

Well, the only experience I've had was with one truck that I had to replace the wiper motor on it. I'd say get a multi-meter & see if it's getting power to the motor when you have it turned on the wipers. Go from there.
I have removed the motor and connect it direct to the battery and no working, check the wire connector and moved the switch from off to on changing from flashing speeds, LO and HI, and getting this: off, all PINS no voltage; all steps on the switch PIN 1 and 5 with the same voltage as the battery, all other PINS 2, 3, 4, 6, and 7 no voltage. PIN 4 is ground, so discarded that one. If I push the button from switch, water is coming out, but motor no working, I forgot to check if in any PIN I can get voltage, I was expecting to get something on PIN 6 and 7 that are from LO and HI, respectively, but I don't know if I am doing some wrong.

I have a 96 grand marquis with the same problem. It was a known motor failure that typically occurs when you park under trees and wet leaves build up in wiper motor area. Solution is to change wiper motor. My solution is simply wait until it rains and put rain X on during rain at gas station near me. I get the spray from walmart simply use the squeegee to clean and somewhat dry windshield. spray it on and scrub it around squeegee the rain X off and your ready for all but the heaviest down pours
Thanks, seems it is a motor issue, I hope so, I don't want to go to the switch and the module for that. I also found a lot of leaves and mud in the motor section, I needed to clean with pressure water and remove all the parts too. Motor is stuck and connected direct to the battery and no working. So, I hope it is the problem. Regards

I have removed the motor and connect it direct to the battery and no working, check the wire connector and moved the switch from off to on changing from flashing speeds, LO and HI, and getting this: off, all PINS no voltage; all steps on the switch PIN 1 and 5 with the same voltage as the battery, all other PINS 2, 3, 4, 6, and 7 no voltage. PIN 4 is ground, so discarded that one. If I push the button from switch, water is coming out, but motor no working, I forgot to check if in any PIN I can get voltage, I was expecting to get something on PIN 6 and 7 that are from LO and HI, respectively, but I don't know if I am doing some wrong.
Certainly seems like the motor. Anytime a motor goes "bad" I suppose it could take out some wiring with it. I'd say start with a new motor & see what happens. You may want to report your post so that a mod can move this in the Vehicle section & not the passenger car oil forum. Thanks for letting us know your progress.

Certainly seems like the motor. Anytime a motor goes "bad" I suppose it could take out some wiring with it. I'd say start with a new motor & see what happens. You may want to report your post so that a mod can move this in the Vehicle section & not the passenger car oil forum. Thanks for letting us know your progress.
I don't understand how to move from one section to another one!

Oh I see is moved already, thanks, I will let you know the end of this. Regards

Well, I disassembled the motor and it is burned. So, yes I need to replace it! 🥺

Attachments

• 20231113_174713.jpg
    20231113_174713.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231113_174754.jpg
    20231113_174754.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231113_174852.jpg
    20231113_174852.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 7
there are probably open-air cams and wiring contacts right outside of the gearbox, and that’s how it knows how to return home. Would be worth opening that up just to see, as that’s probably where the problem is.

Just saw this, and having owned several Panther platforms, the motor is always suspect. It sits in a well drenched in water (or in one case, solid ice!) and gets damaged easily. I’ve not had a switch stalk fail on me though.🧐

Of course you know this already 😜

Lube up those linkages while it’s open!

Just saw this, and having owned several Panther platforms, the motor is always suspect. It sits in a well drenched in water (or in one case, solid ice!) and gets damaged easily. I’ve not had a switch stalk fail on me though.🧐

Of course you know this already 😜

Lube up those linkages while it’s open!
Yes I did it now. Just waiting for the new motor. Thanks

Back