Opinions of 2002 Honda Accord LX?

There's a nice looking 140k miles, 2002 Accord LX nearby, 4 cylinder, for $1800. I was thinking it would be nice to have a reliable economical commuter. I have heard there are years to avoid with the Accords, mainly transmission issues.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:
There's a nice looking 140k miles, 2002 Accord LX nearby, 4 cylinder, for $1800. I was thinking it would be nice to have a reliable economical commuter. I have heard there are years to avoid with the Accords, mainly transmission issues.

I daily drive a 2002 accord lx 4cyl automatic. I got it in 2015 with 156k it now has almost 240k. Its a fantastic car. Its not the most fuel efficient but it consistently gets 22-24mpg. Maintenance is very cheap. Most expensive part i had to purchase was an oxygen sensor that was $150. Its extremely reliable and very easy to work on and get parts for. Its no luxury car but the fit and finish is very good. What climate is the car from?

I like these cars, and think they're a solid option, but they are pretty small by today's standards (not necessarily a bad thing) and the gas mileage is fairly low for a relatively small car - I think they are rated at a revised 20 city/28 highway/23 combined. That's not bad by any means, but pretty low by modern standards. My aunt and uncle just retired an '01ish Accord with around 200k miles that was very cheap to own. They do rust a fair bit (check around the rear wheels).

I had an accord of that generation, 4 cyl, with auto trans issues. Test drive yours carefully then if you buy it change its fluid out a bunch. Whatever honda spec'd back then (Z fluid?) was dino and has been superceded with a synthetic.

Mine didn't slip, but it shifted very harshly. Stop aggressively from 2nd gear or higher then punch the gas, it should "find" first smoothly. If it slams or makes weird noises, skip it.

They made the 4 cyl with and without VTEC depending on if you got the welfare edition. Obviously VTEC is better.

The rest of the car is a well sorted machine oozing quality. This was back when every door latch operation, every switch, turn of the ignition key, was a source of joy. If you live in the salt belt check the front subframe where the lower control arm comes in. This generation still has the double wishbone front suspension.

Oh, and the passenger seat occupancy sensors go out all the time, leading to a side airbag light.

These cars have timing belts. It's my understanding the crank pullies are bears to get off. My fender liner had a little hole for a long socket extension to go through.

I'll be that guy...

Twenty year old Honda from the rust belt - pass.
Post closeup pics if you can. Anything can look good driving by.

Good advice has already been posted. There's one thing I will add. The F-series motor will, on occasion push out the balance shaft seal and you will lose the contents of the oil pan in short order. The aftermarket makes a seal retainer that is something like $8. Get it, and install it.

I can't remember what I did to put the one on the wife's car when we went through that. I don't recall it being as invasive as that TSB is spelling out, but it's been a few years since. As I recall, you just need to pull the cover back enough to slip it in there. Dorman actually makes a part that (surprise) works just as well as the OEM Honda part.

FWIW, my wife drove hers almost 15 miles, in the summer, in Georgia, with the oil light on after pushing that seal out. It glittered up the pan a ton, but after a few short oil changes, the car was back in service. Sheer luck? Maybe, but the car was running fine 4 months later when it was rear-ended by a box van and totalled.

Also, the symptoms that @eljefino posted are spot on, you can also listen for a rattling noise in park that is the symptom of one of the internal bearings slowly dying.

Ok, third thing. If you do get it, check the heater hose that runs underneath the distributor. Oil likes to leak right there on to the hose and it will eventually weaken and fail.

Other than the salt car issue, if you find a good one not rusted to pieces by now, it should be a good deal.

If it runs and drives well, buy it now. Just know the trans could go at any time. Both I4 AND V6 transmissions were affected these years. Change fluid early and often with proper spec Honda OEM. Some of these go for 300K miles on the original trans, and others go every 50K.

That service bulletin is for '94-'97 which is the previous 5th generation whereas the OP is looking at a 6th generation '98-'02.
The entire 6th generation had transmission issues more so than normal (~10%). These were the 4-speed not the 5-speed transmission which the latter pretty much only affected the V6 from '03-'05.
Now there was a transmission bangs in reverse resulting in new transmission that applied to only the V6 ('98-'00) - see TSB 00-065.
Honda extended the warranty to 109k miles/93 months on these vehicles which was sent out in August/September 2006. This is captured in TSB 02-062.
My V6 is still going fine with 265k miles though so it is possible to be fine.

That service bulletin is for '94-'97 which is the previous 5th generation whereas the OP is looking at a 6th generation '98-'02.
The entire 6th generation had transmission issues more so than normal (~10%). These were the 4-speed not the 5-speed transmission which the latter pretty much only affected the V6 from '03-'05.
Now there was a transmission bangs in reverse resulting in new transmission that applied to only the V6 ('98-'00) - see TSB 00-065.
Honda extended the warranty to 109k miles/93 months on these vehicles which was sent out in August/September 2006. This is captured in TSB 02-062.
My V6 is still going fine with 265k miles though so it is possible to be fine.
You are correct, I didn't fully read that, but the 98-02 (f23A1 and F23A4) still had the problem, can verify that by first-hand experience.

Pictures of the offender

The LX used the VTEC engine variant. This is a great car.
Of course, make sure the body and frame are in acceptable condition. I don't know squat about rust here in sunny CA.
As others have said, the V6 was prone to transmission problems, but as @gregk24 pointed out the 4 bangers had issues as well.
My folks bought a '98 new which I gave to a single Mom after my Dad passed almost 2 years ago.
Service everything; the trans twice. Spil and fill with MaxLife, 2.5 qts. NGK plugs and wires, Honda Cap and rotor. Adjust those valves and replace that VC gasket!

Drive it till the hubcaps fall off. These are great cars. Even if you need to rebuild the transmission, you will be bucks ahead.
Pics or it ain't real!

My inlaws had a 2002 accord in the Caribbean. Its first AT failed at 28k miles. The alternaor was always weak. But it was a good enough looking and driving car...

those are well known for transmission problems I4 and V6; its engine normally is not an issue

i'd would look for next generation I4 2003-2007

We purchased a brand new 2002 Honda Accord EXL and drove it all over the USA on 2-3 vacations a year. Wife drove it to school / work each day of the week. We kept and drove that car with minimal repair work for over 18 years. got rid of it in 2020. Repairs - other than regular brake jobs and struts , we changed the timing belt (plus all belts and hoses) once and the biggest repair was one new radiator. We sold / traded it in for a 2018 Accord Exl in March of 2020. The salesman knew the shape the car was in and sold it to a friend's son who is still using it with over 180,000 miles. There is one thing to be careful of. The 2002 thru 2004 Honda Accords had many transaxles failures. We kept it garaged its entire life and it looked brand new inside and even the exterior paint was still in very good shape. Photos of 2002 Accord =18 year old car in March 2020.
silverbullet2 (2).jpg
silverbullet3.jpg
silverbullet4.jpg

Generally speaking it is a great car. This age is more about Rust, Leaks, and interior condition. Can you still find good clean cheap cars? I think so, i bought two recently, but it takes a lot work. Searching, reconditioning, all that is not free in terms of time and money.

Back