Opinions: Do I have any recourse?(Tow)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they are liable! I would investigate further on who made the complaint? They should have itemized the contents of the vehicle and documented any pre-existing damage etc. Document everything, take notes and lots of pictures, if not too late. Follow the paper trail! The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that your vehicle is an extension of your home. Law enforcement may tell you it's a civil matter. (Just a humble opinion)

You can sue them in small claims court, (if it's worth your time) every state is different. If they fail to show you get default judgement.

If they fail to make you whole, I would do a strong negative advertisement campaign on social media, again if you have time. Good luck sir!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
File a police report with the university police that your car was damaged by the tow

No. No. Nope. Stop calling the police for trivial nonsense. It's not a criminal matter. It's a civil matter, slight damage caused by an inattentive tow truck operator. It's not a police matter!!

(Former cop offering a public service announcement)

Originally Posted By: red7404
i would bump it to a higher level. OR bring a lawyer in to the party.

If he knew a lawyer willing to work for free.

Maybe just fix it & move on? I'm not saying what happened to you wasn't someones fault....I just don't believe a small accessible run of hardline is enough to get upset about.
I always run the brake hardlines on the back of the axle tubes to help prevent damage from straps & chains.

Last edited:
MY question to you-is it really worth the fight? Granted, it does suck, but the stress and headache may simply not be worth the time and effort. Plus, you never know if you end up making enemies at work who might pull something stupid down the road (I remember my college campus-headache!)

I think if it was bigger (like body damage or worse), it would be worth the follow-up-but I question the worth of a couple hundred bucks for the time and effort that you are going to have to put in to get it...

IMO, you make your complaint against the university, since they wrongly had your car towed. Then, they can fight it out with the tow company.

As much as it hurts, it may very well be less frustrating and aggravating to fix it and move on.

Of course if you are the type that can not let it go, then have at it, and good luck/

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I work on a University campus, and campus parking is simply the worst. They're all jerks, and they're never wrong (even when they are wrong).

Just this morning, I had Campus Parking looking at my truck waaaaayyy too long. I was watching the guy out of my office window. I'm not sure what his problem was, or if he was trying to *find* something to write a ticket for.

I grabbed my keys and unlocked and locked the doors (which made a distinct "chunk...chunk" sound, and it also flashes the lights). That was enough to let him know that he was being watched... and he took the hint and left.

My advice... Get an estimate and find out exactly who in the department that you need to talk to. Plead your case. Be polite, but firm. Politely make it clear that your car should have never been on the back of that flatbed in the first place. You might be surprised what happens. A hothead will get nothing.

Our campus parking department is on the 2nd floor of the police station. Tends to cool people off as soon as they walk in the door.

X2. At first I was thinking "what kind of dictator does OP work for?," then I saw "university" and it all made sense. Universities tend to take parking enforcement to the extreme.

Documentation and talking to the right person will definitely be important. Good luck.

My MG mechanic stopped by the house and looked at it. Per the books,he gets 1.5h to replace the brake line and bleed. That puts at $120 for labor plus the line($20 as a drop-in part) and various odds and ends like brake fluid. His estimate is $160.

BTW, he also noted in his estimate that the crushed line was consistent with a tow strap.

I don't have any RECENT photos of the undamaged line(although I do have some) although I have photos of it on the truck with the strap around it and photos immediately after it came off.

Since I've hit a dead end with the director of parking, my next step is to contact the dean who oversees parking. I'm also going to run the estimate by the tow company. I still don't know if I'll get anywhere, but at least I can try.

BTW, I pay nearly $600 a year for this parking spot-over twice what I paid for "standard" faculty/staff parking which lets me use lots that are further away often full when I get there due to the weird hours I work. It's a shame that athletics decided that they "needed" designated student athlete parking spaces and ate up half of the lot where I use to park. You'd think that a school that just had to take down a national championship banner and has another open NCAA investigation would tread carefully on offering benefits(like special parking) to student athletes that are not available to other students, but then athletics is just as unrelenting as parking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back