Opinion or opinions on starting a vehicle that has sat for 4 years.

Friend has an old truck that he has not started once in the last 4 years. 1999 Dodge Ram with a 5.9L... Ran fine before he shut it down and parked out back next to his barn. Has dealt with Pennsylvanias elements.

My 1998 Nissan sat 3+ years outside, also in PA, and since I bought a jump pack earlier this year, it inspired me to do 2 things. Test the jump pack, and junk the car. It started up after 3 long cranks. It will likely start with some attempts.

Ps I had long removed the battery so I did what I saw on YouTube, I connected only the jump pack to the terminals where the battery would be.

I’d pull the air filter, make sure no one called home. Grab the belt, or put a ratchet onto the crank bolt, try to see if the motor is stuck. I don’t think you need to do several full turns to make not stuck, just see if it is free.

If the truck didn’t have evap codes it might just fire up if you toss a battery into it… then again, if it sat outside in grass, it may be way worse underneath than I think. I think I would just see if it would crank and hope for the best. Check all fluids before trying to move, and plan on new rotors and maybe new calipers.

Bring a good battery.
You might want to bring a socket and wrench to turn the crankshaft before powering up the starter.
I'd bring starting ether and my squeet bottle of gasoline.

Again my thing was I wanted to see how realistic the YouTubes were where random cars were selected with a jump pack, in salvage yards, and the vehicles started (were they cherry picked for the vlogs).

My personal experience was the same as the vlogs. Car sitting for years started and ran. So I concluded it’s not a big deal nor very complicated, as shown on YouTube.

I would drain the gas tank to start with. Maybe pull the plugs and squirt a little oil in the cylinders and replace the old plugs with new ones. I do not believe the gas would be any good after 4 years.

Has dealt with Pennsylvanias elements.
How different is that from the elements in any other state. Rain and snow is all the same H2O. If there is any issue with starting, I'd bet it's fuel pump seized up. That's why I try to start and run any operable vehicle I have in storage every 4-6 months for a minute. Regardless, check the air in the tires and the fluids, toss a battery or jump box on it and let'er rip. Good chance it will be just fine. After he gets it running, check the brakes. A sticky caliper could be an issue from sitting.

How different is that from the elements in any other state.
Means it was exposed to salt and not washed before parked. Left over unpacked dirt, near grass, means moisture can rise up out of the ground and really go to town underneath, working with whatever salt was left behind, and then tackling what metal might be left after that.

Means it was exposed to salt and not washed before parked. Left over unpacked dirt, near grass, means moisture can rise up out of the ground and really go to town underneath, working with whatever salt was left behind, and then tackling what metal might be left after that.
Seems like a bit of a stretch and you would have to assume it was driven through a snow event right before it was parked for such a scenario. Regardless, not having been driven for 4 years in PA is not much different than not being driven in Virginia and is a lot less destructive than having been driven through 4 PA winters on snow and salt covered roads.

If you want to be super careful to minimize wear on start up. It cant hurt to spray a very light oil in the cylinders like WD-40 or diesel fuel.
Change out the gas and oil

I’d put a battery in it and crank it after checking the fluids and making sure there were no mouse nest or obvious chewed wires.

Yep, visual inspection, check fluids, throw a jumppack on and see what happens when you crank it.

I'd be mostly concerned about the brakes and would pull the wheels and do an inspection before driving it.

Taking about a 5.9 Cummins? If so check the oil and crank it. It will fire.

Land is much cheaper.

Just stating my thoughts, not combating.
It’s mostly because it’s very dry, which prevents rust. There’s also the Mojave Air and Space Port in California which has 1,000+ civilian aircraft that are inactive (meaning they can be brought back into service) or waiting to be scrapped.

I agree with everyone else…. Check fluids and a visual inspection then give it a crank.

Don't change oil on any stored car, you can lose the oil pump's prime. The first crank event will be even dryer.

I would de-mouse first. lol

Like already said, checking the filters is a good idea. Figure out a way to dump the fuel or add some additives ... Lubbing the cylinders is not a bad idea either. I do that to my lawnmower or pressure washer before storing them for winter.

This sound like a good idea also as previously mentioned:
What about cranking the engine a little without starting it? Pull the fuel pump fuse and crank or iirc with some engines, if you try to start WOT, it would just crank without starting (ECU blocks the start). No? Or is it for newer model cars? This would move stuff without combustion ... Loosen things up a little.

Last edited:
Back