Berkeley Oppenheimer Panel Discussion - Youtube

On @MolaKule Oppenheimer movie thread, I referred to the panel discussion wifey and I attended at Berkeley. This was an incredible opportunity; we were in the 2nd row. I was mesmerized by the panel's talent. I spoke with the first 2 of them (see list below) while walking the campus after the discussion. I believe you will enjoy this.
Note: Prof Carson's opening statements are not to be missed. She effectively sets the stage. Interestingly, she was a Physics Major who switched to History.

Cathryn Carson, Chair and Professor of UC Berkeley’s History Department. Cathryn’s research fields include nuclear history and the history of 20th-century physics. Cathryn also moderated the conversation.

Mark Chadwick, Chief Scientist and Chief Operating Officer for Weapons Physics at Los Alamos National Laboratory. He recently edited and published a suite of papers on the technical history of the Trinity test on its 75th Anniversary.

Jon Else, Emeritus Professor of UC Berkeley’s Graduate School of Journalism. Jon created the documentary, “The Day After Trinity: J. Robert Oppenheimer and the Atomic Bomb.”

Yasunori Nomura, Professor and Director of the Berkeley Center for Theoretical Physics. Yasunori’s research includes theoretical particle physics, quantum gravity, and quantum information.

Karl van Bibber, Professor and former Chair of the Department of Nuclear Engineering, and former Executive Associate Dean of the College of Engineering. Karl’s research areas include basic and applied nuclear science and particle astrophysics. He spent 25 years of his career at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

Here's the Physics South Building that included Oppie's office.
1691720077985.png

Last edited:
Back