OO 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
pardon my ignorance... is this an open source piece of software that can read/write in MS office formats? even the latest ones like xlsx, docx, pptx, etc?

What are the negatives?

Thanks!

I just downloaded OO 3.0 a couple of days ago. It will read docx and I think the other MS Orifice 2007 ---x formats. I haven't tried to write in the ---x formats and didn't see away to do it.

Reading them is all I need. Anyone with Orifice 2007 can read the pre- 2007 .doc etc formats.

I haven't given it much use yet so can't tell you much more.

It's free at OpenOffice.org and easy to install, so it's worth a try. I like OpenOffice but it's not 100% MS compatible. Pretty good, but not perfect.

If you aren't getting fancy, you could just load it and go to work using your MS experience. It works lot like MS Office.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
No clippy? Drats. The lone remnant of Microsoft Bob has bit the dust.

There's your opportunity. OO has add-ins like Firefox does. You could write a Clippy add-in for it. Do it now while there is still time. I missed my big opportunity when I kept putting off my great software idea.... Edlin for Windows .

Since I'm not a big user of office software I don't upgrade with every new release, unless the release I'm using has bugs that cause me trouble.

Open Office 2.2.x was my first OO experience. Impresssive, but some nuisance bugs. OpenOffice 2.3.1 has been good for me, I haven't bothered to upgrade it yet.
wink.gif
Seems like I'll have to read up on the big new release, though I usually wait for at least one minor revision before actually jumping ship.

MS went overboard with their latest office software. After their users were so familiar with years of MS Office they decided to ignore and throw away all their standards? I suspect most businesses using MS software will stick with Office 2003, just like they prefer Windows XP to Vista.

OO 3.0 was going to be my next step last night. Seems my step son brought home a docx document for his homework and StarOffice 8 wouldn't read it, even with the latest patch.

I did find an on-line converter. (And if you change the extension from docx to zip you will find it's a zip file full of XML stuff, but I didn't have the time to see if I could just manually import the XML in the docx file.)

I finally found odf-converter-integrator that I installed on the Windows box so one can click on a docx and it will create an .odt file and it then opens the ODT in StarOffice 8.

So one doesn't need to upgrade from OO 2.x, the odf-converter-integrator should work with your OO 2.x stuff as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back