Android Cell Phone AntiVirus

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I put Malwarbytes (free version) on my Android cell phone a few years ago, but it's not functioning anymore and when I go to the Google App Store it shows that it's not supported anymore. So I'm looking in the Google App Store for another good Android AntiVirus app. I need to uninstall Malwarebytes and load something new.

Anyone here using a free Android cell phone AntiVirus app that's worth trying? Looking at the App Store, looks like these are pretty highly rated by users. All of these are free apps.

Bitdefender
ESTE
Avira
AVG
Avast

Androids have built in antivirus, Samsung uses Knox and Google uses built in technology with their Tensor chips and all use Play Protect.

Unless you are downloading fishy apps, side loading, etc it should not be a problem. Best bet is to purchase or use apps that are "Verified by Play Protect"

Androids have built in antivirus, Samsung uses Knox and Google uses built in technology with their Tensor chips and all use Play Protect.
My Android phone if pretty old, so not too sure how good any "built-in" antivirus app(s) there are working in the background. I want something I can add that is more up to date, and something I can do routine scans with.

I'm using an S8. If a phone is no longer supported by it's manufacturer, is its antivirus still supported?

My Android phone if pretty old, so not too sure how good any "built-in" antivirus app(s) there are working in the background. I want something I can add that is more up to date, and something I can do routine scans with.
Being OLD is a whole different story. You don't say how old, but it definitely pays to use a phone with a more current operating system.
I seriously doubt that Malwarebytes or Kaspersky will be effective when using an outdated OS.
Otherwise, they wouldn't constantly install current security updates.

If your phone is old enough to the point where it is not at least receiving security updates you really need to consider upgrading, there is plenty of good budget options on the Samsung side if money is an issue, the A54 5G, A14 5G all good phones.

I have a free version of Avast Mobile Security on my Samsung A53. Not sure how much good it does, but I don't appear to have any viruses.

If your phone is old enough to the point where it is not at least receiving security updates you really need to consider upgrading, there is plenty of good budget options on the Samsung side if money is an issue, the A54 5G, A14 5G all good phones.
Agree..just got a A15 for under $200
A bit short and thick but it's good as my old much more expensive phone.

A15 is available in the USA now? I thought it was just India?.
Got it via Visible and unlimited for $20 a month.. The box.

1000001267.jpg

Being OLD is a whole different story. You don't say how old, but it definitely pays to use a phone with a more current operating system.
I seriously doubt that Malwarebytes or Kaspersky will be effective when using an outdated OS.
Otherwise, they wouldn't constantly install current security updates.
It's about 6 years old. Been a great phone and still works well for my use. Google Play store shows lots of AntiVirus apps that will work on this phone. Looks like the top 3 rated Android AntiVirus apps in the Google Play Store are: AVG, Avast and Bitdefender. Of the 3, Bitdefender doesn't share info with 3rd parties whereas AVG and Avast do.

This articles shows Bitdefender rating well, so maybe I'll give that a try.

I put Malwarbytes (free version) on my Android cell phone a few years ago, but it's not functioning anymore and when I go to the Google App Store it shows that it's not supported anymore. So I'm looking in the Google App Store for another good Android AntiVirus app. I need to uninstall Malwarebytes and load something new.

Anyone here using a free Android cell phone AntiVirus app that's worth trying? Looking at the App Store, looks like these are pretty highly rated by users. All of these are free apps.

Bitdefender
ESTE
Avira
AVG
Avast
I'd be leery of downloading an Antivirus for android. I've read that they can compete or cause problems with the Android antivirus software.

I'd be leery of downloading an Antivirus for android. I've read that they can compete or cause problems with the Android antivirus software.
And just how do you know what built-in Android antivirus software there is? My older Android may not have what a new Android has these days.

I got US version of Moto G Stylus 5G for US$250 just before Christmas, good phone so far, no bloatware like Samsungs, built-in radio, phones jack, liking the phone, had 2 Moto G series phones before this one, all lasted and worked great. I do change phones about every 4 years.

Back