One Tool oil analyser OTO300

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took your statement regarding hating to admit to this group that you had an observed trend with the vehicles that you are with, and usage patterns that you felt the group had a pre-conceived outcome.

I didn't want you to shut down conversation as a result of that...I wouldn't discount an actual observation that differs from my experience

I bought the machine for S and G...We use dielectric machines all the time at work (not me...others) for insulating oils, although I did see back in 1990 a guy who half buried his range rover in mud take a "UOA" to work and wreck the transformer oil test machine cell with water and contaminants...I have maybe a dozen data points on two engines.

My GM oil life monitor on the Colorado is down to 3%, and the magic numbers machine is showing 3, all twos up to date...Wife's Captiva similarly only ever 2s..

If the Colorado got to (say) a 7 at OLM=0, I would calibrate my wife's Captiva changes to a 7 on the machine.

Shannow,

I figured the group would boo boo me for using such a ridiculous device. I bought it out of curiosity and if it worked would give me "some idea" of the condition of my oil. I was changing oil on a yearly schedule regardless of miles and the F150 usually came in at 1,200 miles. The other vehicles were usually at 5k so I was good with that.

Over the last 2 years I have found the device pretty reliable but conditions have to be perfect for it to work. The oil being tested and the device need to be very close in temperature. In the Winter I can only test oil on the warmest days. I usually let the device sit on the motor for a while and keep it out of the sun. You cannot check oil on a hot engine. I let them sit overnight before checking. The lens needs to be thoroughly cleaned after each use. Alcohol gave erroneous readings and carb cleaner was to harsh. I found that starting fluid and cotton balls worked best. Sometimes, after it has sat for a while, it doesn't give an accurate result on the first try. After that it's ok. Sometimes when the weather is cool it takes maybe 3 tries to get a consistent result.

It's temperamental but after I've learned it's quirks and how to use it I trust it.

Cool,thanks.

I bought mine for sandg...but if it trended with the KLM on my colorado, with the vm motori fiesel, i would use it to set the interview on wife's captiva with vm motori diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back