onboard auto tool kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep a toolkit in every car, plus a much more equipped one that I switch between the old Rovers if off roading. I also make a small spares kit for each car of bulbs, ignition parts (for the oldies), fuses, etc.

For the basic ones, I start w/ an inexpensive basic Lowes/HD/HF one then add any vehicle specific tools that a quick bit of research tells me I would be most likely to need. Add to this:

-zip ties, incl. heavy duty ones. Bring enough to be daisy chained if necessary. Helped me once when some idiot backed into my parked car and dislodged the bumper cover enough to foul the wheel. The tabs broke, so the zip ties and bailing wire came in handy.
-bailing wire and nippers, see above
-self fusing silicone tape...marine quality, lots of uses
-electrical tape and Gorilla tape or similar, replace the rolls every few years
-inexpensive electrical strip and crimp tool plus connectors....probably not critical for most modern cars

Realistically, your best tools are your cell 'phone, AAA and credit cards....

I think a basic kit is a good idea, mostly emergency supplies, such as flashlight, tow strap, jumper cables, tire chains (or other seasonal things as needed and rotated into kit). As for tools, it's pretty hard to cover every possibility, so I'd go wide and general, vice grips, adjustable wrench, multi-driver with flat, hex, and torx bits, pliers, zipties, duct tape, rope. If you have specific needs, then make sure you've got the tools to cover those needs.

Along with the rope, I'd highly recommend mastering a few basic knots so that you can safely secure something without creating new problems or having to cut the rope to get it off at the end of the ordeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back