old johnson outboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin gave me two old Johnson outboards this past weekend, they were for his 90 year old uncle who recently passed away, if I had to guess theyve been sitting up for at least 25 years. One is a 70 hp and the other is a 40 hp. I figured out that the 70 is a 1982 year model and I think the 40 is from the 1960s, it says Electramatic on the cover. Ill try to post pics later. Both had rat nests under the covers when I pulled them off, but no wiring was chewed. Everyone I talked to said the 70 is a pretty durable engine that should be pretty reliable once I get it going. My cousin said the 70 does need new reed valves. I was thinking about rebuilding the carburetors on both motors, new impeller on both, and also finding the controls for each, and go from there, also a compression test on each motor. I'm assuming the 40 hp has points instead of electronic ignition. The 40 hp I'd like to restore and put on an older boat. I'm unsure if I should try to buy a factory manual for each or just get a Clymer manual. If yall have any suggestions for other things to look for on these motors, please let me know. I'm also unsure if they take 50:1 or 40:1 mix.

Another cousin of mine gave me a 1979 year model 70 Johnson for parts but that motor is in way better condition so I may use the '82 for parts.

You have your work cut out for you. Are you keeping them all or selling them?

Oddly enough, I've been to two museums which had a collection of outboards.

I had a 1975 Johnson 40 hp. I had the head milled a little to increase compression.

The props on those have pins, so if you hit something they shear. It's good to have pins handy on board, just in case.

I'm guessing that they aren't 'stuck' and will crank over ok. The early motors generally had oil mix ratios of around 25:1. I have used 50:1 and they burn cleaner. My experience is that the lower units are more problematic with leaky seals and water intrusion than the top end-good luck!

You will have to replace the floats, all the hoses and rebuild or replace the fuel pump to deal with the alcohol you are going to get. The 82 was 50 to one originally. The older one is 25 to one.

Parts are available.

I have had excellent results with using two or 3 tablespoons of trasmedic by Gunk mixed with the lower unit oil to control (eliminate ) leaks. Carry shear pins.

Rod

I once had a 15hp Johnson outboard, it ran and ran and ran, that was 1958 and it was used then....one quart of 30 wgt auto oil was my mix and the motor was never worked on...no one is gonna believe that..

I plan on keeping all three of them. Id like to find a used 16 foot semi v aluminum hull, the 70hp should push it pretty good. Only negative is no power trim and tilt, can it be converted to power trim and tilt?

Check the type of shift the "Electramatic" is. Sounds like the Evinrude electric shift (push button). If so it takes a different gear oil in the gear case than normal.

It's going to need a water pump impeller as well.

We've got a few late 1950's maybe early 60s Evinrude and Johnson's in the family. A fleet twin and a sport twin. The pressurized fuel tank system on them sucks.

Johnsrudes can be up and down for quality, but those are both pre-FICHT so you've dodged a bullet there. Fortunately, Johnsrudes also tend to be very easy to work on with regular tools and there are still lots of parts available. Honestly, for an older motor I'd much rather have a OMC than a Mercury, thanks to Keikafer's often nightmarish maintenance.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I would never leave the house if I had two Johnsons

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back