Anyone running classic (old) two cycle outboards?

My 115 HP Yamaha V-4 outboard turns 30 years old this year. It’s been a great engine. I still like taking it out on my 17-1/2 ft Campion. To me it’s the smell of victory! Any other two cycle fans?
That’s a great motor AND boat combo! Those 115’s used parts like bearings,rods,pistons,rings, etc from their V-6 brothers. They are easy to work on, and very dependable. I have a ‘94&’96 Pro-V115’s and the Pro-V’s were only made in 94,95,96. The only difference is the graphics, firmer mounts, and very slight tuning differences. My ‘96 is a parts motor that had a cylinder down due to the previous owner running it with a small hole in the fuel pump, and it washed that cylinder down and transferred aluminum from the piston to the cylinder.
It’s sad to see that they no longer make Champions because they were a really good boat. I had a 184, and a 193 that I bought new, and I wish I still had that 184.

A semi hobby of mine is finding and fixing up the old smaller outboard, like in the 3-5HP range. I have several of the old Elgin and Eska outboards and the ones they made for Sears and Ted Williams under their names. Air cooled 2 strokes with points ignitions. I don't really do much with them other than get them running, test them on the water and then hang them on the wall.

That’s a great motor AND boat combo! Those 115’s used parts like bearings,rods,pistons,rings, etc from their V-6 brothers. They are easy to work on, and very dependable. I have a ‘94&’96 Pro-V115’s and the Pro-V’s were only made in 94,95,96. The only difference is the graphics, firmer mounts, and very slight tuning differences. My ‘96 is a parts motor that had a cylinder down due to the previous owner running it with a small hole in the fuel pump, and it washed that cylinder down and transferred aluminum from the piston to the cylinder.
It’s sad to see that they no longer make Champions because they were a really good boat. I had a 184, and a 193 that I bought new, and I wish I still had that 184.
Thanks for the kind words. Champions were great boats, however, this company is Campion. (Perhaps a rip off off the name?) They have dealers through out the USA and the head office is in Edmonton, Alberta.

D0784D29-8AA5-4211-9B58-CD103863E111.jpg

Thanks for the kind words. Champions were great boats, however, this company is Campion. (Perhaps a rip off off the name?) They have dealers through out the USA and the head office is in Edmonton, Alberta.

View attachment 171555
I wasn’t paying close enough attention! lol
I haven’t heard of Campion, and will have to look them up.

I looked up the current Campion boats website and they look to be some really nice boats.👍

I'm a big 2 stroke outboard fan. Most brands are pretty reliable with proper maintenance. However Yamaha 2 strokes especially are bulletproof. The 3 cylinder inline 75-90 hp motor is still the longest produced outboard still in current production. 3cyl and 4cyl are amazing engines. I would not let that thing go for anything. I highly recommend using Pennzoil synthetic blend 2 stroke oil from Walmart and decarbing with seafoam through the carb intake every year. #1 killer in 2 stroke outboards are the rings seizing from carbon build up over the years. Yamaha Lube is some nasty stuff.

I'm a big 2 stroke outboard fan. Most brands are pretty reliable with proper maintenance. However Yamaha 2 strokes especially are bulletproof. The 3 cylinder inline 75-90 hp motor is still the longest produced outboard still in current production. 3cyl and 4cyl are amazing engines. I would not let that thing go for anything. I highly recommend using Pennzoil synthetic blend 2 stroke oil from Walmart and decarbing with seafoam through the carb intake every year. #1 killer in 2 stroke outboards are the rings seizing from carbon build up over the years. Yamaha Lube is some nasty stuff.
Yamalube has a lot of moly which is a high pressure lube that doesn’t burn easily and will cause carbon buildup. If you do what Yamaha suggest and use Yamaha Ring free in every tank of fuel you will not have a problem. That stuff is some of the best that I have ever used to clean carbon out of a motor, and have had nothing but good out Yamalube and ring free. On a HPDI no matter what oil you use, you had better use ring free or a decarbing agent or the carbon would jack the rings out and catch on a port, and rip the ring lands off of a piston, and then you had a pile of scrap metal. I don’t remember which cylinder that it would normally happen to, but there is one that normally it happened to. I personally never was a fan of the HPDI’s because of that.

Yamalube has a lot of moly which is a high pressure lube that doesn’t burn easily and will cause carbon buildup. If you do what Yamaha suggest and use Yamaha Ring free in every tank of fuel you will not have a problem. That stuff is some of the best that I have ever used to clean carbon out of a motor, and have had nothing but good out Yamalube and ring free. On a HPDI no matter what oil you use, you had better use ring free or a decarbing agent or the carbon would jack the rings out and catch on a port, and rip the ring lands off of a piston, and then you had a pile of scrap metal. I don’t remember which cylinder that it would normally happen to, but there is one that normally it happened to. I personally never was a fan of the HPDI’s because of that.
I agree on the ring free additive. This Yamaha Lube fall down came over all the HPDI issues. Amongst the HPDI community Pennzoil marine synthetic blend is their savior. I think its better to ditch the fuel additives, oil, and just switch to Pennzoil. For $19-21 a gallon it's way cheaper than oil/ fuel additives. Engines hardly smoke much and keeps everything super clean. The carbureted engine don't really have much issues. Assuming somebody uses ring free, Yamaha Lube and decarbs with seafoam once a year it shouldn't be an issue. However after seeing so many wrecked HPDI engines I don't want that oil anywhere near my outboards. I've also heard great things about Evinrude's XD-50 oils.

I have a 15HP Sea King (Montgomery Ward house brand) made by Gale/OMC. I think the serial number dates it to 1964. It was a gift from an older relative who had given up boating. It's old enough that it specifies a 24:1 mix. I took it out for a day of trolling on my 16 ft Jon boat a couple of years ago. There's a water leak somewhere in the head but it still seems to be circulating enough to keep it sufficiently cool.

It had been unused in the garage for at least 15 years but still started on the second pull. I replaced the impeller but the old one was still in surprisingly good shape.

I have an Arima Sea Hunter in the yard. It is a project boat. I just retired from my job, and bought a cheap Merc 3cy 2 stroke about 4 months before I retired here in September. Have not run it yet. It is in my shop on an engine stand. I really wanted a 4 stroke, but could not justify the $$$$$$$$$$.
I paid $450 for it from a customer that was upgrading to a Honda 90 hp. Our family had a little Bayliner boat with a similar Merc 3 cyl 65 HP engine in the 70s.
Only bad thing is I won't be able to use the engine on lakes for the most part. But will be able to use it in Puget Sound.

I have an Arima Sea Hunter in the yard. It is a project boat. I just retired from my job, and bought a cheap Merc 3cy 2 stroke about 4 months before I retired here in September. Have not run it yet. It is in my shop on an engine stand. I really wanted a 4 stroke, but could not justify the $$$$$$$$$$.
I paid $450 for it from a customer that was upgrading to a Honda 90 hp. Our family had a little Bayliner boat with a similar Merc 3 cyl 65 HP engine in the 70s.
Only bad thing is I won't be able to use the engine on lakes for the most part. But will be able to use it in Puget Sound.
Yeah, the 4 stroke outboard prices from Yamaha/Honda/Mercury are ridiculous now. I bought the kids a 10.8ft dingy to use this past summer, thought I would put a 15 on it for them but they ended up with a 4HP Yamaha that I already had on hand. I won't plane out but it's better than rowing.

I
Yeah, the 4 stroke outboard prices from Yamaha/Honda/Mercury are ridiculous now. I bought the kids a 10.8ft dingy to use this past summer, thought I would put a 15 on it for them but they ended up with a 4HP Yamaha that I already had on hand. I won't plane out but it's better than rowing.
The prices are pretty shocking. Out of my price range. I need a newer truck, much more than a 4 stroke outboard.

My last two stoke outboard was a 1979 merc 70 h.p on a 15 ft speedboat sold that set up around 1998.
I can still smell it in my mind ( loved that smell on cold start ) . Never had any issues with that motor what so ever. plugs and impeller thats it.
Sitting here typing i can here that thing cranking over and snapping to life like it was yesterday.

I just finished rebuilding a 1984 16’ extra wide flat bottom with a 1992 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke.
I basically drug it out of a field. The Yamaha didn’t have a single filter anywhere in the fuel line. So I built a fuel system that starts with a portable tank with premix 2stroke none ethanol fuel and goes to a fuel water separator filter then the outboard in which I installed the OEM fuel filter that was missing. All new from tank to all three carburetors. It started and ran but on the second trip carburetors flooded bad.
I removed the bank and all three carburetors where so corroded and nasty I don’t know how it ran at all. I just said go Yamaha. Ended up replacing everything. The jets floats everything but the carburetor bodies which I couldn’t find. I found a couple of complete carburetors for $300 each.
After a week of soaking and polishing away corrosion with toothpaste and sonic cleaning I had the bodies as good as they were going to be.
Went through the rest of the outboard. Noticed the original paint on the edges of the thermostat gaskets so I knew it hadn’t been looked at. Out of the two bolts the first one I put my little 1/4” ratchet on twisted off in the head like it was made of bubble gum. I immediately got that sick feeling. Checked the second and it’s solid no corrosion and came right out. I was trying everything to get that bolt out. There was still part sticking out of the head. I soaked it in everything. Even home remedies. Finally I stopped myself before I did more harm than good.
I’m outside a small town. While in town I noticed a shop off the main drag behind the other buildings. Drove by and saw old vintage cars and trucks stacked up. I stopped and this gentleman restored these for people as well as built hot rods from the ground up. And just happened to be a retired machinist. My new friend ! After visiting a while he told me to br the boat by that evening. After he closed we backed it in and I watched him patiently try everything I did including heat which I wasn’t going to do to the aluminum head. He ended up drilling it out very slowly. After about 45 minutes it was ready for the new bolt I had ordered from Yamaha. Charged me $30.
I love my small town.
I went on to replace water pump etc.etc. Took the electrical completely apart cleaned it up and applied protectant. When I remove the cowling now that 1992 looks shiny new.
I use semi synthetic 2 cycle tcw3 low ash. It smokes when I first start it but then it won’t smoke a bit. Unless I do a lot of idling. It prefers wide open throttle. And will make that aluminum boat skip across the water.
I have a lot of hours in this boat and wouldn’t trade it for a new one.

Attachments

• 3DE1A7BE-03FB-4992-BB5C-6A2DBA85CDAB.jpeg
    3DE1A7BE-03FB-4992-BB5C-6A2DBA85CDAB.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 10
  • 05AB693B-DE1C-4B6D-8935-5EE564AEA8DB.jpeg
    05AB693B-DE1C-4B6D-8935-5EE564AEA8DB.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 552D26D8-D311-45C6-96A9-01E696872E60.jpeg
    552D26D8-D311-45C6-96A9-01E696872E60.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 8
  • 9F5EF8F5-3BFD-4FD8-88E4-BB402FBD7B43.jpeg
    9F5EF8F5-3BFD-4FD8-88E4-BB402FBD7B43.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: 4WD
I just finished rebuilding a 1984 16’ extra wide flat bottom with a 1992 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke.
I basically drug it out of a field. The Yamaha didn’t have a single filter anywhere in the fuel line. So I built a fuel system that starts with a portable tank with premix 2stroke none ethanol fuel and goes to a fuel water separator filter then the outboard in which I installed the OEM fuel filter that was missing. All new from tank to all three carburetors. It started and ran but on the second trip carburetors flooded bad.
I removed the bank and all three carburetors where so corroded and nasty I don’t know how it ran at all. I just said go Yamaha. Ended up replacing everything. The jets floats everything but the carburetor bodies which I couldn’t find. I found a couple of complete carburetors for $300 each.
After a week of soaking and polishing away corrosion with toothpaste and sonic cleaning I had the bodies as good as they were going to be.
Went through the rest of the outboard. Noticed the original paint on the edges of the thermostat gaskets so I knew it hadn’t been looked at. Out of the two bolts the first one I put my little 1/4” ratchet on twisted off in the head like it was made of bubble gum. I immediately got that sick feeling. Checked the second and it’s solid no corrosion and came right out. I was trying everything to get that bolt out. There was still part sticking out of the head. I soaked it in everything. Even home remedies. Finally I stopped myself before I did more harm than good.
I’m outside a small town. While in town I noticed a shop off the main drag behind the other buildings. Drove by and saw old vintage cars and trucks stacked up. I stopped and this gentleman restored these for people as well as built hot rods from the ground up. And just happened to be a retired machinist. My new friend ! After visiting a while he told me to br the boat by that evening. After he closed we backed it in and I watched him patiently try everything I did including heat which I wasn’t going to do to the aluminum head. He ended up drilling it out very slowly. After about 45 minutes it was ready for the new bolt I had ordered from Yamaha. Charged me $30.
I love my small town.
I went on to replace water pump etc.etc. Took the electrical completely apart cleaned it up and applied protectant. When I remove the cowling now that 1992 looks shiny new.
I use semi synthetic 2 cycle tcw3 low ash. It smokes when I first start it but then it won’t smoke a bit. Unless I do a lot of idling. It prefers wide open throttle. And will make that aluminum boat skip across the water.
I have a lot of hours in this boat and wouldn’t trade it for a new one.
That guy who helped you is a saint.......... I have my boat I need to get going, but it is going to be awhile before it is on the water.

That guy who helped you is a saint.......... I have my boat I need to get going, but it is going to be awhile before it is on the water.
He still gets donuts for breakfast every now and then.
I’m still not finished. I just finally got to a stopping point so I can use it and run the motor. I’m rebuilding a casting deck with more storage on the bow and I haven’t painted it yet. It had corrosion under the old floor because someone used treated plywood which causes a chemical reaction to aluminum. It took a lot of time and patience to remove it. Then primed and painted and built a new flooring system. Installed a complete wiring system along with led lights for night fishing. Rod bases all around and orde the big 1/2” threaded rod holders I can move around the boat depending on the fishing I’m doing. New Garmin and bilge pump with automatic float switch etc.etc.
You’ll get it going just takes patience. I bought things on deals and saved them until I was ready for them as I went along.

Nothing like the smell of two cycle exhaust while boating.

My last 2 cycle was a Johnson 115 HP.

Since then it's been all I/O
That takes me back 70 years ago when my dad took the family to Minnesota on fishing trips. Everyone had 2 strokes back then. The smell of those old engines starting up early on those cold mornings got the adrenaline going. I can still relive it when I start up my old 2005 Mercury 40 hp. ELPTO.

I’ll unload and start mine then let it warm up tied to the dock while I park real quick. Walking down to it I can smell it.

Back