5w-X for Suzuki outboard motor?

Im looking at a 20 HP Suzuki 4 stroke outboard. I fish year round including the winter. I always have some 5w40 diesel oil around and was wondering if it would be ok to run in the outboard? It calls for 10w40, and 10w30 in the winter. I'm thinking 5w40 would be ok year round? Especially since I already have that on hand for my trucks, bike and ATV; it would be convenient and cheaper than 45 dollars a gallon for Suzuki oil.

Definitely, you can run almost anything, Most people don't take their boats out if it's colder than 60 so 15w-40 is used a lot.

Yes you are fine with that oil. Most boats are run at WOT quite often the oil should be fine. Many boat manufacturers of the smaller engines do not recommend full synthetic because it doesn't get as hot as regular oil. With all the water going through the engine the hotter temps are good. I put Rotella in my motors one time when I obtained a hot deal on a sale at Walmart.

Yes you are fine with that oil. Most boats are run at WOT quite often the oil should be fine. Many boat manufacturers of the smaller engines do not recommend full synthetic because it doesn't get as hot as regular oil. With all the water going through the engine the hotter temps are good. I put Rotella in my motors one time when I obtained a hot deal on a sale at Walmart.
Well that's a new one.

Back