OK XJ Owners... Weigh In

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jayg

To be honest, if the underbody is covered in rust, Id just run the cheapest quality dino 10w40 on sale as the body will fall apart before any oil related wear will happen.

And yes 10w40 dino is fine for your winter.

Sound logic. Very sound.

They seem to like T6. I used it in mine for a bit but it definitely got some top end noise. These engines tend to have weak oil pumps.

Mine likes supertech 10w-30 sythetic. Or any oil, really, in 5w-30 or 10w-30. I ran Supertech out to I think 6000 miles, equivalent to like 7K by fuel consumption.

One of the biggest advantages of these engines when it comes to oil changes is: they will run on anything and really don't care. They will thrive on cheap oil!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Valve train chatter with M1 0W-40 and then got quieter with M1 5W-30. That's a first here on BITOG.

Not at all, very common for these engines to have noisey top ends on 40 grade or 50 grade oil. Friend of mine had a rear main seal give out (7 quarts in 140 miles) and we put in 20w-50 for a while and it had horrid noise coming from the top end.

The only time I have ever heard one of these with a legit lifter tick was when it had obnoxiously thick oil. They have weak oil pumps and can't pump heavier oils.

In your OP you state 3k OCI and that you want 'solid engine protection'

Redline protects better than anything else on the market. Unless you don't want the best but just Something that's OK, go with redline.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

More importantly, do something to slow that rust. On one of your NYC trips, drive through Mechanicsburg, PA and get a Krown treatment. Or, spray on Fluid Film yourself.

http://www.linexofmechanicsburg.com/krown-rust-protection/3003580

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0048770KE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_4MLryb23BKJV3

Many thanks for this. Ever since purchasing, I've been wanting to tackle the rust, but it's so very extensive. The frame is in OK shape, but the transmission pan DID already rust through. Engine mount bolts are rusty nubs. Parking brake and shifter linkages look like they were brought up from a ship wreck. It's such a big job, I've been ignoring it. But, I pass through the Mechanicsburg area a couple times a year, I'll look into it.

Here's what lipstick on a healthy pig looks like... Check out that oil pan rust! Also... that scooter isn't mine, just ended up there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DemoFly
I'm a fan of Ow-40 PCMO and 5w-40 HDEO in the 4.0L.

FL400S or XG8A for filter.

Your kickdown cable is adjustable. It's called TV cable (Throttle valve). It's quick and painless to adjust.

Don't I know it. I adjust it weekly, because it keeps falling out of adjustment. Plastic parts and all.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Valve train chatter with M1 0W-40 and then got quieter with M1 5W-30. That's a first here on BITOG.

Is it?

It's exactly what happened... curious why this is an anomaly if anyone cares to break it down.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Globalksp said:
Just don't drive a Jeep thinking that it's the most reliable vehicle in the world.

It's not my first time around the Jeep block and I've got plenty of stories solidifying this fact.

grin2.gif
I figured I'd go take some pictures to show you what it looks like without rust.

Which reminded me I need to replace the transmission pan gasket. It's never dripped on the garage floor, but still time to change.

2ut3rxi.jpg

mm79fl.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
grin2.gif
I figured I'd go take some pictures to show you what it looks like without rust.

Which reminded me I need to replace the transmission pan gasket. It's never dripped on the garage floor, but still time to change.

2ut3rxi.jpg

mm79fl.jpg

smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Globalksp
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
To sum up a long winded [censored] match:
10w30 or any HDEO. (5)1515/XG8A

I get the XG8A, but... (5)1515? That's still Greek to me.

1515 NAPA G or WIX 51515 (same thing)

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Wow! That is pretty rusty underneath. But the body looks perfect.

It's exceedingly rusty underneath and under the hood. There is a bit of rust creeping up from the bottom of the front doors, but the paint is original and in great shape as is the interior. No one had sat in the backseat, ever, until I purchased it. I still consider it a good find / good buy even with the rust and whoever gets it after me should feel the same way.

If you end up choosing Rotella T6 for your 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited, be sure to check out the promotions page on the Rotella website for deals ending after this month! Also, feel free to give us a call with any questions before, during or after your oil change at 1-800-BEST-OIL. - The Shell Rotella Team

Originally Posted By: ChrisGuerrero
If you end up choosing Rotella T6 for your 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited, be sure to check out the promotions page on the Rotella website for deals ending after this month! Also, feel free to give us a call with any questions before, during or after your oil change at 1-800-BEST-OIL. - The Shell Rotella Team

Oh, y'all are good.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Globalksp
Originally Posted By: Bandito440

More importantly, do something to slow that rust. On one of your NYC trips, drive through Mechanicsburg, PA and get a Krown treatment. Or, spray on Fluid Film yourself.

http://www.linexofmechanicsburg.com/krown-rust-protection/3003580

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0048770KE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_4MLryb23BKJV3

Many thanks for this. Ever since purchasing, I've been wanting to tackle the rust, but it's so very extensive. The frame is in OK shape, but the transmission pan DID already rust through. Engine mount bolts are rusty nubs. Parking brake and shifter linkages look like they were brought up from a ship wreck. It's such a big job, I've been ignoring it. But, I pass through the Mechanicsburg area a couple times a year, I'll look into it.

Here's what lipstick on a healthy pig looks like... Check out that oil pan rust! Also... that scooter isn't mine, just ended up there.

HOLY RUST BATMAN!

Almost looks like a flood victim car. Hurricane Sandy?

Regardless, a good oil on sale and slowly keeping the underbits from corroding through and you'll still get life out of it. If it were me, I'd start replacing at least any fluid holding pan and bolts before they get dangerous.

I use fluid film BEFORE rust starts to do a preventative spray on undersides but since it already looks like that, I'd buy a few cans of PB blaster and coat EVERYTHING with it. Keeping it oily can keep it from getting worse and may help when you do have to replace things. If it had a nasty rear main leak for a long time, it might look pristinee under there.
wink.gif

Just so you know that thing dont have a frame, they are unibody. I would of run away from that thing so fast, its one pot hole away from breaking in half.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Almost looks like a flood victim car. Hurricane Sandy?

Regardless, a good oil on sale and slowly keeping the underbits from corroding through and you'll still get life out of it. If it were me, I'd start replacing at least any fluid holding pan and bolts before they get dangerous.

I use fluid film BEFORE rust starts to do a preventative spray on undersides but since it already looks like that, I'd buy a few cans of PB blaster and coat EVERYTHING with it. Keeping it oily can keep it from getting worse and may help when you do have to replace things. If it had a nasty rear main leak for a long time, it might look pristinee under there.
wink.gif

The car lived it's entire life in eastern Ohio, just outside of Pittsburgh. I assume the owner just never sprayed it down over the course of 15 winters' worth of salted roads.

The oil pan is due to be replaced and I probably should have bought stock in PB Blaster when I bought the thing.

It's one of those silly things now...I know bits and pieces will keep breaking, but it rides so well, is so clean on the inside, gives me no troubles... a sneaky mistresses to be sure.

Originally Posted By: dieselfarmboy
Just so you know that thing dont have a frame, they are unibody. I would of run away from that thing so fast, its one pot hole away from breaking in half.

Right... semantics. I've hit my fair share of potholes while living and driving in NYC and only broke a coil spring
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back