ok I am out of my element here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just bought a Class B motorhome.
It has a Mercedes Benz engine in it, 3.0 diesel fuel Dodge/Sprinter MB manufacture

Now I am looking for the best oil for it and am running into particle / emission oils that meet MB 229.51 requirements .

My question is what is the best oil for the engine --severe service --?

Do I have to worry about this emission stuff if I do not live in an area that tests for emissions ?

I confess I am confused here about many things .

Any help / advice is appreciated

Originally Posted By: badnews
Now I am looking for the best oil for it and am running into particle / emission oils that meet MB 229.51 requirements .

My question is what is the best oil for the engine --severe service --?

If you're looking for something you can buy locally, you should be able to find Mobil 1 ESP oils at either an auto parts store or a Mercedes dealership. There's a Formula M 5w-40 and a Formula 5w-30. Either one should work.

If you're willing to order online, refer to the list posted above.

The severity of your service should primarily affect the oil change interval rather than the type of oil you should use.

Do I have to worry about this emission stuff if I do not live in an area that tests for emissions ?

As I understand, it's not so much that you'd produce more emissions by using the wrong oil; it's that oil vapors might damage the diesel particulate filter if the oil doesn't meet 229.51.

+1 on the M1 ESP. My question is if you have the advanced emissions stuff that needs the low SAPS 229.31/51 oils? If not, you may be able to get away with a 228.3 oil that is somewhat more universal.

The Bevo site has a worksheet, maybe 223.2 or so, which lists all current engine configurations and the right specs to follow. You have an OM6xx? Look it up, know it, and reference it on the sheet.

Something I had to clarify as well was the difference between Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 5w40 and Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5w40. There is sometimes confusion between the two being the same.

The Delvac ESP has The ESP Formula M is Completely different specs.
ESP Delvac is for medium and heavy duty diesel engines, primarily N. American mfg, 2007 and later, API CJ4 and ACEA E9
The ESP Formula M is primarily for Euro mfg. light (pass. car and light van) diesels, ACEA C3 primarily dictates its' specs, along with MB 229.51.
ESP Delvac is 228.31, NOT 229.31/51 and you aren't supposed to use it in the light MB diesels. You can use heavy truck oil that meets 228.51 (ACEA E6) but it is totally unavailable in N. America.

Charlie

Charlie

It can take 0w-40 10w-40 to 5w-50 and the 5w-30's depending on the temp .
The thing is it must meet this Benz spec of 229.51

thanks folks appreciate the input

If it were mine I'd more than likely run Rotella T6 or Rotella T5.

And before anyone wets their pants, I know these oils aren't 229.51 certified. I still think they would do fine in this engine.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

And before anyone wets their pants, I know these oils aren't 229.51 certified. I still think they would do fine in this engine.

The engine isn't the sticky wicket, it's the DPF.

I may have to run the Rotella T6 G MAN

closest place to me that sells the spec oil is two hours one way and all they had was 7 quarts - my engine takes 10.5 I think.
This is a joke not being able to find the spec oil.

I am looking up the Rotella T6 specs now

This is a joke not being able to find the spec oil.

Agreed. Are there any closer stores you can badger into ordering it for you?

Rotella T6 should be fine for temporary use.

I asked NAPA - NO
I asked Auto Zone - NO
The closest is Pep Boys like I said a 4 hour round trip
Tried to order it on Amazon ( free shipping ) no joy
EBAY - nope
So the question is --- Can I use this Rotella T6 on a constant basis ? It did have an old MBenz spec on it

I am not worried about warranty claims I do my oils regular or I would not be here with you all . I am just concern about quality of the oil sort of .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobFout

Yes

but I found this on the Shell site

Quote:
LOW EMISSIONS
Protecting the performance of your exhaust-emissions control systems is not only important for your vehicles to comply with legislative requirements, but also to promote efficient operations. For instance, blocked diesel particulate filters (DPF) can actually increase fuel consumption. Shell Rotella® T6 is formulated with reduced levels of ash, phosphorous and sulfur to help maintain the efficiency of the latest vehicle-emissions technologies. Meeting the ash, phosphorous and sulfur requirements of API CJ-4, Shell Rotella® T6 has been tested and proven to protect your vehicle.

Made me feel better

5W-40 seems the one for me
The one spec'd is called Mobil 1 Emissions Service Protection 5W40

In my parts that oil is scare as hens teeth

Originally Posted By: BobFout

Yes

but I found this on the Shell site

Quote:
LOW EMISSIONS
Protecting the performance of your exhaust-emissions control systems is not only important for your vehicles to comply with legislative requirements, but also to promote efficient operations. For instance, blocked diesel particulate filters (DPF) can actually increase fuel consumption. Shell Rotella® T6 is formulated with reduced levels of ash, phosphorous and sulfur to help maintain the efficiency of the latest vehicle-emissions technologies. Meeting the ash, phosphorous and sulfur requirements of API CJ-4, Shell Rotella® T6 has been tested and proven to protect your vehicle.

Made me feel better

The requirements for CJ-4 greatly exceed that of VW (in terms of ZDDP and SAPS), I'm going to assume this applies to MB also.

Is a truck DPF the same as a passenger vehicle DPF? I don't know.

Last edited:
If the DPF is the only concern then run T6 and sleep well at night.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back