Oil viscosity and VVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess in some circumstances, there could be some siphoning. In the old Chevy small blocks, no ADBV was specified, and they were base end up. Technically, in my old LTD, with a sideways filter, the original specification was for a filter that had no ADBV, the CFL1, but with the FL1A as an upsell. Of course, most every cross reference to that these days will have an ADBV, though there were some applications that technically didn't call for one.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I guess in some circumstances, there could be some siphoning. In the old Chevy small blocks, no ADBV was specified, and they were base end up. Technically, in my old LTD, with a sideways filter, the original specification was for a filter that had no ADBV, the CFL1, but with the FL1A as an upsell. Of course, most every cross reference to that these days will have an ADBV, though there were some applications that technically didn't call for one.

Yes I see it as a small problem in the sideways filter you're speaking of on startup as well as the filters on the Subaru where they mount the ADBV down the whole filter can could easily drain every time you turned the engine off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Never hear any start-up noises on my 2005 Tacoma V6 with VVT-i. Been using Mobil 1 5W-30 (recommended viscosity) for most of it's life.

Wondering if some of the start-up noises people hear is caused from the oil filter's ADBV leaking and causing a "dry start".

A question Toyota filters are mounted with the ADBV up am I right? How is the ADBV going you leak up?

I believe that 2005 1GR-FE is ADBV down, similar to my 1MZ-FE.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Never hear any start-up noises on my 2005 Tacoma V6 with VVT-i. Been using Mobil 1 5W-30 (recommended viscosity) for most of it's life.

Wondering if some of the start-up noises people hear is caused from the oil filter's ADBV leaking and causing a "dry start".

A question Toyota filters are mounted with the ADBV up am I right? How is the ADBV going you leak up?

Then that would make another case where it even mattered.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Would think it’s engine specific … I have a pushrod VVT that does not mind 15w40 … heck, butt dyno likes Dino
Some DOHC set ups might be another story …
My ecoboost ran fine on 0w40’s …

You run a 40w in you 5.3 with no issues? I am tempted to try T6 5w40 in my 4.8.

My 2010 has Delvac dinosauce15w40 and purring on that. Other folks here use 40's in 5.3L's ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
Toyota recommends 5w30 but back speced to 20. Would you say perhaps going to a 0w oil w/a hardy add pack?

PP, RL, Castrol 0w

I would risk backspeccing to a 5w20 or 0w20 when its seen 5w30 most of its life. I can't recall the thread, but I asked this very question and more senior forum members said it wouldn't be good for the engine. There's a toyota chart floating around on the internet showing which models/model years they backspecced but its never been officially validated by toyota. My recommendation is to stick to what was originally stated in the manual. When Ford backspecced the crown vics to 5W20, I don't think good results came out of it. As to a hardy add pack, amsoil, M1 AFE, Castrol 0W30 are pretty stout for 30 weights. No need to drop to a 20 to find more stout oil than the ones mentioned.

Yes I see it as a small problem in the sideways filter you're speaking of on startup as well as the filters on the Subaru where they mount the ADBV down the whole filter can could easily drain every time you turned the engine off.

My experience with the LTD has always made me think of it as more of a luxury or cosmetic concern to have an ABDV than a real necessity, and then something that sort of took on a life of its own. After all, even a nitrile ADBV did make the LTD sound better at cold starts. I suppose it's better to equip a filter with the ADBV, unless it's something that never needed it across the board. I'm pretty sure the Wix variant for the Chevy small block still lacks an ADBV.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Correct, mounted vertical with base down and located on on top of the engine.

Once warmed up all oil is thin enough. Too much regurgitation of internet blather.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
My 2010 has Delvac dinosauce15w40 and purring on that. Other folks here use 40's in 5.3L's ...

Why? Why so thick? Just wondering.

Mainly 4WD use … have a horrible transfer case to get into 4 Lo … so I stay in 4 Hi in sand or mud …
Don’t know if there is any downside but a hair on MPG … I put about 8k/year on that unit …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back