oil leak at clutch pivot arm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a small leak on the top of the engine case
where the clutch pivot arm goes through. It only does it in high gear. I can look down and see a small puddle about the size of a dime where the arm connects thru the top case. Is there a gasket, o-ring or seal here?

If you buy a factory service manual you can look at neat pictures like this.

-

I did buy a Clymers manual, but no pictures of this area. Everything else though. Thanks for the pic. I wonder if i didn't overfill the crankcase. It is just a 1/8 inch or so above the full mark.

A friend of mine suggested maybe it could be a crankcase beathing problem. How do these crankcases breath?

The crankcase breather is just a plain hose that goes from the cylinder head cover to the air box.

The airbox will get oil in it and there is a drain tube.

Did you change the air cleaner element? Maybe you knocked something loose. Air boxes have more holes in them than an Iraqi tank. Make sure all hoses and plugs are where they should be.

Opps, I should have told you that picture is for a 1980 CB400T Hawk. I don't know if its the same as a 1978.

You're not checking the oil level with the bike on the side stand are you? If you are then its over filled.

Clymer manuals are better than nothing but they can be a real adventure since they try to cover other models and years in one book. A factory manual is the way to go. Fortunately for you they are still available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back