Oil hose for bypass filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
aldive- any trans cooler hose will work for MOST bypass filters. The trouble with your having an Amsoil bypass is that it uses AN/JIC fittings on the mount. That means that you've either got to get a hose of the same I.D (and maybe OD) to use it with the collars. You CAN convert to hose barbs ...but you've then got to buy AN/JIC O ring boss fittings that convert to NPT. This would run much more than just getting new Amsoil hose. I'm sure that Amsoil hose is nothing that isn't right off of some shelf ..but probably just not common distribution.

So, you can surely try just about any 1/4" ID hose that fits the pressure temp rating. If you take the hose off and take it to a hydraulic shop, they can surely get something for you that will work. I can't see it being less than just getting new Amsoil hose @ $4-$6 per ft + S&H.

I think fuel injection hose in 1/4" with a rating of SAE 30R9 should work for you. It has a rating of over 275F continuous and 302F intermittent ..and up to somewhere near 180PSI.

This appears to at least match some of the higher hose ratings that are specific and approved for hot oil circulation SAE J1019 and SAE J1532

Other members have used this in installations. You should be able to get this by the foot at NAPA or other well equipped auto parts supplier.

I think he's looking for cheaper alternatives. SS hose, if purchased locally via a speed shop or even a hydraulic shop would be expensive by the foot ..but getting it from Jeg's or Summit, with their minimum handling charges would be about the same.

There's not too many ways around paying the piper for the stuff.

I am not looking for a cheap way out. I want to know of different hose and fitting possibilities.

I don't care what it cost.

Ok ...that's a horse of a different color
grin.gif
Now if you'd qualified it that way to begin with ...tons of people would be telling you of all their tales of great tributes in hose technology.
laugh.gif

You should be able to order #4 (4/16=1/4") ss line from either Jeg's or Summit ..or where ever you find it. #4 is the designation for the 7/16-20 JIC fitting that is what you spin your line on to.

Again, a trip to the local hydraulic shop may be just as cheap if you don't want ss line. There's really not much advantage to it aside from external insult. I doubt you've ever seen it used on any HD equipment. The reinforcement is sub-surface.

You can switch to hose barbs. This is expensive on the mount end since you have to go from straight threads to NPT ..then fit a 1/4" hose barb. You then use a 1/8X1/4 hose barb on the sender T. 1/4" hose and some clamps and you're done.

You can also choose different size hose if you're going with hose barbs. You just have to order your hose barbs accordingly. 5/16 hose is a pretty popular size.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I think he's looking for cheaper alternatives.

For sure, I'm looking for something cheap for my tranny full-flow filter. Seems that Thermoid makes some very tough house, but it is about $2 a foot with a minimum 25 foot purchase. I need a few feet.

I'll check out the SAE hose - I think McMaster sells 30R9 and it's not expensive. Hhmmn, scratch that, McMaster sells 30R7. Still, it's 250 deg F plus rated for oils and 50 PSI. Maybe this will be okay.

One nice thing about stainless overbraid hose - it's very tolerant of rough treatment. We use it on turboshaft engines at work and its tough as nails! Sure, internally-reinforced hose is just as strong, but it's a lot easier to tear up a Parker NO-SKIVE hose, especially when changing engines. But, you'll never see this rough environment inside your car as long as you mount the hose properly!

later,
b

NAPA has the higher rated trans hose in 3' sections if the store doesn't have a big roll of it. Cheap enough. 25Ft of the lower grade (still good enough) SAE hose is available on ebay for about $32.x. It's available in 3/8 and 5/16.

Yes, not bad ..but that's with either a $5.95 or $9.95 flat handling charge depending on whether it's summit or jeg's (I forget who charges which amount). It's basically all part of their price fixing scam. So that's either $2/ft or $2.50/ft.

Good find in Jeg's. I'd searched Summit but had not yet searched Jeg's. I will check the local NAPA first though.

I'm toying with mounting the filter under the hood now, so I may need more like 5 feet or so. Depends where I can mount it - if I can get it close to the cooler, I'll use less...

thanks much!
-ben

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Yes, not bad ..but that's with either a $5.95 or $9.95 flat handling charge depending on whether it's summit or jeg's (I forget who charges which amount). It's basically all part of their price fixing scam. So that's either $2/ft or $2.50/ft.

Tell me more about the price fixing scam - I've used both Jeg's and Summit in the past and have been pretty happy, especially on price. They seem to be far more competitive than the local speed shops...

thanks much,
ben

Sure, but take ANY identical item on either ..and you'll come up with basically the same price. This is the agreement that they have with the producers. They won't advertise it below a certain number. It's the same for all the jeep accessories ..tires ..what have you. The problem that most people have when they call either Jeg's or Summit is having too much credit. Many don't even bother to ask for a discount ..or compile their lists of part numbers ahead of time...read them off to the guy taking the call ..and asking for a price. You can play them against each other. But too many people just whip out the plastic and pay what the web site says to.

The guy on the end of the line is getting paid based on his throughput of orders in terms of $$.

If those prices were cast in stone, they would be (I think) committing a crime. It's just an advertising agreement with the producers. It probably has about 30 points buffered into the price. Now I don't have enough money to put together a routine $300-$500 order for either of them to bother with ..but I've negotiated with every major purchase that I've ever made.

That's why you see many sites say "CALL". It's because they cannot advertise the price that they're willing to sell it at. My TracLoc was advertised for $180+9.95 for additive +S&H from the west coast. I got it for $180 delivered and I didn't even ask. My lock out hub kit is advertised for over $1100. I got it for (IIRC) $950+/- delivered.

If you see any site advertising a discount, it's a producer authorized ad. Otherwise ..it's CALL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back