oil for camshaft break in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im using comp cams zinc additive for my pushrod replacement. Beats buying 5qts of royal purple or amsoil

INMHO. like Hemispheres said the Zinc additive is a MUST. and kick the RPM to 2,000 for break in. for 15-28 min. trash that carb. use and OLD AFB. and relocate the fuel filter so if it leeks the fuel will NOT be on top of the engine. about the cam. that is a mild cam. it is what you want for a daily driver. i had an old chrysler 413. with a .430 lift, 268 degree cam very street-able. had 30 hp over a new yorker got the same MPG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: red7404
INMHO. like Hemispheres said the Zinc additive is a MUST. and kick the RPM to 2,000 for break in. for 15-28 min. trash that carb. use and OLD AFB. and relocate the fuel filter so if it leeks the fuel will NOT be on top of the engine. about the cam. that is a mild cam. it is what you want for a daily driver. i had an old chrysler 413. with a .430 lift, 268 degree cam very street-able. had 30 hp over a new yorker got the same MPG.

I was nervous about the cam being too big. I kept seeing cams of this size being recommended for 400+cid engines and I know that 100 cubic inches can soak up quite a bit of cam. Over all I'm quite happy with the manners of this cam in the 305. I think the more aggressive ramp profiles are helping keep the "street manners" quite tame. I was impressed with how smoothly it idles.

I considered throwing the edelbrock 9906 I have on the shelf on there, but for this truck I think the quadrajet is a better option. The edelbrock and afb are simpler carbs to work on and understand but the quadrajet really is a much better carb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back