Oil for B58 Ineos Grenadier

LL04 technically not allowed by BMW in North America at this point for gasoline engines. I agree with you they are fine to use, but I wouldn't do it while under warranty.

View attachment 191580

View attachment 191581
Who cares?

The engine isn’t a BMW North America engine is it?

And BMW in Europe spec it for 5w40

Just because the USA pushes thin oils for Emissions doesn’t mean the engine can’t use them.

I doubt that would make a difference to an engine warranty, using a spec the engine is designed to use.

Who cares?

The engine isn’t a BMW North America engine is it?

And BMW in Europe spec it for 5w40

Just because the USA pushes thin oils for Emissions doesn’t mean the engine can’t use them.

I doubt that would make a difference to an engine warranty, using a spec the engine is designed to use.

Did you look at the chart? It has nothing to do with viscosity. LL-01 is allowed. It has to do with the difference in fuel.

Did you look at the chart? It has nothing to do with viscosity. LL-01 is allowed. It has to do with the difference in fuel.
Yep. If the car does not have an OPF/GPF then you can run full SAPS. BMW still fills S58 and M cars for the US with LL-01FE even though they could specify something else.

Both EU and USA fuel are now at 10ppm.
More importantly, LL17FE has the same SAPS limits as LL04, it is basically thin LL04.

Yes I understand. LL-12 is basically lower saps LL-01FE also.

I don't know why BMW still says not to use mid saps oil in North America for gasoline engines. Audi switched their recommendation about five years ago.

LL04 technically not allowed by BMW in North America at this point for gasoline engines. I agree with you they are fine to use, but I wouldn't do it while under warranty.

View attachment 191580

View attachment 191581
That was due to US fuel sulfur levels which were like 50-80ppm but in Jan 2018 (I think) they are now down to 10ppm and BMW allows it. All-in-all I believe the LL01 and LL04 specs have been removed from their newer B58 models simply because of CAFE/EPA so they're moving to some LL-17FE. BMW did update the LL01 and LL04 in 2017 to have higher corrosion resistance and lubricity requirements specific for the timing chain. So LL04 now in the US "SHOULD" (per my limited knowledge) be the spec to aim for on this motor. I also think because of the updated specs the 0w oils lost their LL01/LL04 spec. I'm trying to see if I can find one right now but not seeing it. I'm wondering if there's any difference between Pennzoil Platinum Euro - L 5w30 and Quaker State Euro 5w40. Also if there are any US specs that equal LL01 or LL04. I remember with the JLR spec on my 3.0 diesel it matched the Ford spec for the 3.0 powerstroke so it was much easier just to grab ford oil.

I guess I'm down to basically the Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30 or the Quaker State Euro 5w40. Is there really any difference between the two? I can't find HTHS numbers for the QS 5w40. I'm trying to see if I can find a 0w30/40 out there that meets spec but so far no bueno.

I guess I'm down to basically the Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30 or the Quaker State Euro 5w40. Is there really any difference between the two? I can't find HTHS numbers for the QS 5w40. I'm trying to see if I can find a 0w30/40 out there that meets spec but so far no bueno.

What about Mobil1 ESP 0w40 X3? Don't think you'd get much better off-the-shelf personally.

Alternatively, contact HPL and get something tailor made?

Being in Texas an oil with a 0W winter rating is not necessary. That sort of winter rating only comes into play below -30 or so.

The HT/HS of the QS will be at least 3.5.

EURO L is LL04 whereas the QS Euro 5w40 has no BMW approval. HTHS will be similar (3.6 vs 3.7).

Valvoline has some 0w-X in LL01 and LL04. HTHS is 3.7 regardless of grade.

Motul used to sell 40 grade LL04.

LL04 had a short life in the US because BMW moved to lighter 30 grades when it began selling N-series diesel engines. Basically the market wasn't large enough to justify a wider range of grades under the LL04 specification. I used M1 ESP 5w30 in my 335d. Can't go wrong with M1.

What an interesting vehicle! Never heard of it til this thread. Anyway, I don't see any downside of using a good 0W-30 or 5W-30 oil in that thing.

EURO L is LL04 whereas the QS Euro 5w40 has no BMW approval. HTHS will be similar (3.6 vs 3.7).

Valvoline has some 0w-X in LL01 and LL04. HTHS is 3.7 regardless of grade.

Motul used to sell 40 grade LL04.

LL04 had a short life in the US because BMW moved to lighter 30 grades when it began selling N-series diesel engines. Basically the market wasn't large enough to justify a wider range of grades under the LL04 specification. I used M1 ESP 5w30 in my 335d. Can't go wrong with M1.
QS L5w30 and 5w30 both are LL-04 now. I believe all 0wX oils lost their LL01/ll04 grades after the revised updates so anything with a zero weight and LL01 on the bottle is from old stock. The new LL01/LL04 has new requirements to help protect the timing chain.
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 1.37.59 PM.png

QS L5w30 and 5w30 both are LL-04 now. I believe all 0wX oils lost their LL01/ll04 grades after the revised updates so anything with a zero weight and LL01 on the bottle is from old stock. The new LL01/LL04 has new requirements to help protect the timing chain. View attachment 191693
BMW revised all of their approvals in 2022. M1 0w40 now has LL01. Castrol 0w30 and 0w40 have LL01.

There has always been a timing chain test with BMW approvals. The test engine has been updated through the years to match what they were currently manufacturing.

It lost it again in the US market since they did not release the SP 0W-40, confusing I know.

Are you say M1 hasn't launch the SP formula in the US market?

Are you say M1 hasn't launch the SP formula in the US market?
M1 0W40 has LL01.
Castrol Edge 0W30 is again LL01.

Back