Oil for a Lister CS slow speed diesel ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your dead on oilyriser...it would beat the particulate down too. You could then use your warm scavenged water in a heat exchanger set-up to help keep the WVO from gelling. In the end though I am all about sending the CO to the gophers!

Was in the local Briggs & Stratton warehouse the other day and noted a pallet of Lister oil.The label read CC Diesel Oil 15W 40,for use in naturally aspirated diesel engines.The CC was referring to the API rating which I think has been obsolete for many years.The oil was labelled as suitable for use in ambient temps of -5 to 52 degrees Celcius.It was manufactured in Australia and I must also add there was a warning in red lettering that it must not be used in turbo charged diesels. On the back side the label listed all the Lister engine families it is suitable for use in.

Hi Doug
Have watched your posts with intrest.
Many years ago I was involved with a number of power plants on Great Barrier Island.They all had Lister engines and never ceased to amaze at the high number of hours they clocked up.At the time mobile plant engines ie Cat IH were considered good if they achieved 10,000 hours before requiring a major overhaul,These Listers had many tens of thousand hours on them.In hindsight it was a case of very good engineering not requiring fancy lubricants to make up for design deficiencies.The common oils used at the time were 30wt series one diesel oils,ie Delvac 1130.
My biggest gripe at the time was the way the local Lister agents insisted these engines have the cylinder heads removed for a regular decoke,a practice I felt was unnecessary if the load factor on the engines was adequate.
As youve probably guessed I come from the Auckland region.

Hi,
JC - I hope you enjoyed your time in this area. It is a very busy Tourist spot now!

There is still a few of these engines working around the place here and we have a couple at the Proserpine Museum where I do some volunteer work. Kubota was originally like Lister and would not endorse any fancy lubricants - only those that were readily available and usually of SAE20 or SAE30 viscosity

The Lister decoke was like the CAT bearing roll - required for Warranty etc but probably not needed

At one stage the NZR Bus Services had a very costly programmed replacement programme for the Bedstead (Bedford) bus fleet. This included Generators, PS pumps and everything in between and was designed by beaurocrats. At an official request I commenced dismantling this costly process nearly 40 years ago. The first stage was to simply purchase some "real" buses - Benzes etc - and to stop buying truck chassis and converting them to route buses!

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
A water bubbler would scrub a lot of the NO, and catch waste heat.

What is a "water bubbler" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back