Oil for 2018 Honda Civic Sport 1.5T

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea is that if it aggravates over time, you’ll have it documented that the car was showing symptoms fresh from the factory. May help with claiming warranty stuff.

BTW I find it funny that they claim that 5% fuel in the oil does not affect engine performance, but god forbid that you use an even slightly different grade than 0W20, because then all sorts of warranty voiding phenomenons would happen inside your engine.
laugh.gif

Buy a 0W-20 and M1 or Castrol 0W-40 (or perhaps a syn CK-4) from Walmart under two separate purchases. Fill sump with 0W-40, copy/scan the 0W-20 receipt, return 0W-20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Buy a 0W-20 and M1 or Castrol 0W-40 (or perhaps a syn CK-4) from Walmart under two separate purchases. Fill sump with 0W-40, copy/scan the 0W-20 receipt, return 0W-20.

Good idea. I was thinking more of a half and half approach, but just straight up returning the 0w-20 is an option too i guess
laugh.gif

Run premium gasoline and it will dramatically decrease fuel dilution. As far as oil weight, even 0w20 with 2-3% FD will still provide sufficient lubrication, no sweat

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Run premium gasoline and it will dramatically decrease fuel dilution. As far as oil weight, even 0w20 with 2-3% FD will still provide sufficient lubrication, no sweat

Since I have the sport model I have been running premium (93 octane) exclusively anyway.

But yes, I'll just stick to a Dexos gen2 0w-20 unless it becomes an issue, which it doesn't seem to have for others. Already got a jug of M1 ready to go.

Interested to see how the gas chromatography looks on the sample I send in though. I'm sure wear metals will be through the roof regardless since it will be the first oil change.

Originally Posted By: jwa

Since I have the sport model I have been running premium (93 octane) exclusively anyway.

But yes, I'll just stick to a Dexos gen2 0w-20 unless it becomes an issue, which it doesn't seem to have for others. Already got a jug of M1 ready to go.

Interested to see how the gas chromatography looks on the sample I send in though. I'm sure wear metals will be through the roof regardless since it will be the first oil change.

Please post your UOA results here if you can. This Honda engine has developed quite a fuel dilution reputation.

If you want to become discouraged, wander over to the CRVownersclub.com forum and look at the 2017/18 section: you’ll find 90 plus pages on this subject with gasoline smells, alarmingly rising sump levels, a few UOAs, no response from Honda, etc., so it’s not just a issue in China. Maybe the weight and frontal area of the CRV make it a bigger issue than in the Civic, but still...

I hear you. Well, I'm pretty sure you won't have any issues once you dump the factory fill. Also, you can go up a grade with no issues, car drives the same way, no change in mpg (my experience).

I hear you. Well, I'm pretty sure you won't have any issues once you dump the factory fill. Also, you can go up a grade with no issues, car drives the same way, no change in mpg (my experience).

I'm sort of interested in the "placebo effect" of running a thicker oil and the engine sounding quieter/smoother...

I remember that effect when I switched to GC in the BMW back in the day. Definitely seemed to be smoother on that oil. Is there a similar effect moving up to an 0/5W-30 in the Honda? I've seen a few people mention it on the civicX forums.

Alabama is a pretty hot climate anyway.

Nope, sounds the same as it did with 0w20. Same ugly noise (i'm not a huge fan of this engine sounds anyway). Perhaps there would be a difference with thick 0w40 but not with the light 5w30 Amsoil SS.

1. What kind of vehicle you have
- 2017 Civic Hatch LX but with Turbo and both spoilers.

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
- 0w-20, API certified Donut but I look for unicorn oils like Idemitsu whose oils have cured stuff like grinds in an engine! I also look for clearance or heavily marked down oil maintenance items from online sources like BITOG to save on cash and help my car out.

3. Where you live
Texas where like Alabama, it just keeps humidifying the air with impunity.

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
- My car is like a Swiss army knfe, I like to drive slow when I am bored but Fast when I am excitable

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
- I have some short trips to the corner store but then long ones to get to play games daily etc et al.

6. Whether your car has any known problems
- Have heard fuel dilution is a common issue with DI turbos. and more specifically, TGDI but the oil I use reduces the gasoline smell in my garage and has eliminated a warm start minor grind I intermittently had.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back