Oil for 2017 Honda Civic Type-R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to good ole Mobil 1 for me I guess, unless anyone can name other ones I should consider that fits my criteria (Full Synthetic, 0W-20 and API approved)
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Last edited:
Originally Posted By: iLovePho
Back to good ole Mobil 1 for me I guess, unless anyone can name other ones I should consider that fits my criteria (Full Synthetic, 0W-20 and API approved)
whistle.gif

Might be worth peeking at the list of dexos1 Gen 2 licensed oils, although the spec is not quite "live" yet and there are numerous omissions on the present list that I find immensely confusing. Gen 2 includes an LSPI test in a small DIT engine (GM, not Honda, of course) that might bring some peace of mind to the owner of a very high performing unit of that type.

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

I note that no PUP types have shown up on that list yet, but there are PP varieties. So strange to me that M1 5W30 is the only example shown from that line, but that many different Mobil Super grades are evident. I sent XOM an email asking about this and the answers I received were so deliberately obtuse that I am tempted to stop buying their products. The dexos1 license number on a jug of M1 5W30 AP sure looks like one for Gen 2...I don't know what's going on with XOM here.

Anyway, a dexos1 oil will also have a NOACK loss under 13% (15% is the limit for SN) and I can only think that it can be good if the API approved oil one picks also shows up on the list above.

Redline oil has served me well in my E92 M3 and other Bavarian cars ;-)
I plan to use RL in the ‘19 Type R I have on order — just signed up for the waiting list.

Hondas are reliable with reg. oil changes, but this is a race car. I want mine to last so I'll spend the $ for Redline

Amsoil's mid-range 'XL' 0W-20 would be a good choice here; as would M1 EP 0W-20...both a bit stronger than their more pedestrian counterparts.

My girlfriend is buying a new Civic hatchback soon with the 1.5L.
She will be putting about 25000 plus per year commuting to work,I think Mobil 0w30 at the first oil change and M1 filter.
Probably go to 10 percent on the oil life monitor and change.
I was concerned about the higher viscosity with the Vtec but after seeing it listed in other countries that 0w30 / 5w30 is ok I have no concern.
I am sure she will want to get 200K out of this car at least.

If you insist on 0w20 ,Amsoil SS, Redline, Mobil 1 AP or EP. I think one or both of the Mobil choices is API certified. On the looks of the car I'm personally disappointed in what Honda did with the butt end of it. It's like they didn't know what to do with the rear bumper and put those black honeycomb pieces of cheap looking plastic. The other 3/4 of the vehicle is good looking. They should have deleted those plastic cutouts. Sorry bud. Jmo...

If it was me, I would get the oil changed at the dealer, drive it home and drain it and put a stout 0w30 or 5w30 or whatever they use in europe for that engine. That way you would have the warranty info recorded and yet obtain the better protection for the engine.

Renewable Lubricants 0w30. I'd try this oil.

RLI has shown to be very sheer stable and uneffected by fuel dilution.

I honestly think you'd be hard pressed to find a better oil for you application. This oil has been optimized and beefed up....I think the last reformulation a few years ago made this a perfect oil to be ran in Ferrari's

You can order it from Amazon or from their website

Similar engine to the 2018 Accord, though it has a smaller turbo. You might search for some of those discussions.

It's like no other Honda engine ...
Internals are lightweight, forged and special geometries for fast response, flow, low friction, and heat management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back