Oil for 2008 Z06 sopus brand only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: turnbowm

The Platinum Euro L 5W30 is indeed a stout (HTHS) oil but, with low SAPS/TBN, not one I would consider for extended OCIs. See SubieRubyRoo's VOA below...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4600620/1

Corvette owners really don't do extended OCIs, most of us follow the oil life monitor which usually will count down to zero by about 7 or 8k at the most (and those that drive harder will see it hit zero much sooner) And those that don't follow the OLM go the other way and change the oil in the 3-5k range.

Not sure I would take it beyond 5K miles, but I'm perhaps overly cautious.

Originally Posted By: 08z06
I really am partial to shell products( My Dad had 3 shell stations back in the 70's and 80's)and want to change my oil back to a sopus brand. I have been using redline 5w30 and it did quiet the engine down initially until i heard some pretty loud tapping and pulled the rocker trunnions apart and noticed petty bad wear and replaced the caged roller bearings with bronze bushings and it is much quieter now. 2008 z06 basically stock with headers and no cats. so i dont have to worry about hurtng them with the wrong oil. I deleted my oil cooler and my oil temps reach temp pretty quickly and run real close to my coolant temps (200-210) Thanks alot for any input.

Four days ago u were asking for recommendations between Castrol 0w40 and Redline and since then you've discovered excessive wear using Redline and you now want to only use Shell branded oil. Sounds like you have more then a oil issue going on with the Vet. Dont understand why people have such a problem choosing a oil.

i wanted to get the best for my car.loyalty won out with me again.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: 209paulc

Four days ago u were asking for recommendations between Castrol 0w40 and Redline and since then you've discovered excessive wear using Redline and you now want to only use Shell branded oil. Sounds like you have more then a oil issue going on with the Vet. Dont understand why people have such a problem choosing a oil.

I think most of us on this forum have been in that same place from time to time and have been undecided on what oil to choose for our cars. If everyone knew exactly what they wanted and didn't do any research, BITOG would not be as busy as it is.

Well I changed the oil again today(redline 5w30 with 1000 miles or so) and put in pennzoil euro 5w30 . Now... the tick is back. so if im thinking correctly this noise is directly related to oil because when i bought the car it had a pretty good tick.changed the oil to rl and seemed to quiet it down. then i installed trunnion bushings and the noise was even less annoying but still there. Changed the oil today and back to where i started. I own a small repair shop and changing the oil is no big deal. I will drain the pennzoil back into the jugs and put it in my stash for my shop truck.What about a conventional 10-40? 15-40? I will continue to try different oils until i find a oil that quiet's this thing down.

I heard one time that dino oil had more of a "cushion" is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back