Oil & Filter Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, God forbid the OP becomes aware of what the Engineers from FCA do when they can listen to you guys. I don't know why you would argue the point seeing how your brand is very high in moly as well. Now, you disagree with Amsoil SS as well? There isn't an application the world that doesn't have the same story, man I used junk oil for a million miles yada yada, whoohoo. What does that have to do with developing a strategy for a 50k dollar vehicle? Well that guy jumped off a bridge and lived, now I shall do the same? or follow what the engineers who make the oil and the vehicle are doing? Hmm, let me think on that.

Whatever Burla. I'm sure the Moly will help fix his manifolds too right?
smirk2.gif

Funny how FCA never released a TSB about using only an oil containing Moly and considering most folks get their oil changed at quick lube shops that use a variety of oils some with and some without moly how do you explain that? There would be wide ranging reports of failures from not using oils with Moly yet there is no TSB. Heck there isn't even a design revision on FCA's part to accommodate non-moly oils.

But I digress, me telling you this among many other folks here doesn't seem to change what you want to believe which has no factual basis.

OP it will be no surprise, if you get recommended to use Redline Oil which is totally not needed. Not even Amsoil is needed.

Last edited:
Apparently you need a tsb to develop your lubrication strategy, I however do not. 80% of oils out there have been dedicated to using moly in thier formulas, if that isn't good enough for you then good on you. A better question would be why did those two specific companies go away from it? Save a penny? What possible reason could it be to not have moly in your formula especially considering the EPA is making beneficial AW/EP additive levels lower and lower? Research Moly OP would be my suggestion, start right here at bob's search moly basics. Why someone would omit that from their formula for twenty years or so?

You can find anything on the Internet to support your claims doesn't mean it's right, just means you typed in the right search terms to find the right kind of nonsense to support your claims. I'll ask the neighbour what oil he is getting next time I see him. He even runs this conventional oil until the OLM tells him to change it which usually 13,000km or so (almost 10K miles).
crazy2.gif
LOL

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
You can find anything on the Internet to support your claims doesn't mean it's right, just means you typed in the right search terms to find the right kind of nonsense to support your claims. I'll ask the neighbour what oil he is getting next time I see him. He even runs this conventional oil until the OLM tells him to change it which usually 13,000km or so (almost 10K miles).
crazy2.gif
LOL

LMAO, yeah my internet search bar led me to this nonsense. Moly Basics

As for the rest, OP if you are interested type in UOA or VOA of any valvoline and see how many have ZERO moly. Maybe that will or wont influence your decision, but you will have the info. Look up PUP 0w40 as well. FCA is in bed with Pennzoil, thus is why m1 doesn't have the spec, it was a protest on their part.

Back to science instead of whatever those guys are trying to say, clean base oil, decent moly, and high detergency is what FCA wants you to use, and more specifically PUP, that is why Pennzoil synthetics is what they use at most Dealers, and also why most polled Ram owners run that. Or get your advise by guys who don't have hemi's and could care less.

Last edited:
I just messaged him and he's using Mobil 5000 as that is what Mr. Lube (local oil change franchise up here) puts in because it's the only thing that is MS-6395 rated that they carry in bulk at that change shop. I don't believe this oil has Moly in it but I would have to double check as I can't remember. He also goes on to say that he occasionally takes it to the dealership and uses their PYB but usually only when he needs something fixed or for recalls etc.

As for your Moly link it talks about MOLY and it's uses (Not disputing that), where does it say that it protects an fixes the small number of problems with SOME HEMI's? Where does it make reference to a TSB from FCA recognizing this fact? It DOESN'T.

Texts.png

Last edited:
Use a synthetic blend with no moly is your suggestion? Because someone told you something and it has a spec? What was that you said prior about no facts? He could have gotten that recommendation by going to 7'11 and asking a clerk. Where'as I gave him a detailed answer with verifiable facts. What was the other thing you said, whatever?

Where was that my suggestion? All I said to the OP was to use whatever because the engine isn't fussy (as per my neighbours 3 RAM's that all had HEMI's and saw high mileage). His current one has MDS and he's still using conventional 5w20 bulk oil an it's without MOLY and it's fine so it's a NON-ISSUE for him so it doesn't seem to matter as you claim.

But I never said for him to seek out an oil without moly in it. If it has it in it who cares. If it doesn't who cares. You are the one that thinks it will be dire if it has 0 moly which isn't the case.

And Verifiable facts is a stretch. Where is the OE's TSB on using moly based oils only? Surely the OE who built the engine would have such a TSB if it were an issue and widespread you know so they don't have to pay out warranty claims... It's not even mentioned in the section on what oil to use and what viscosity. Seems important to me! Go on I'll wait while you can find it.
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
I'm waiting for the usual Redline gush that usually accompanies subjects like this.

wager a personal attack as opposed to actually giving the OP some information to his question. That is typical Pimtac. All you post is venom anymore, don't you have something better to say? Engaging in conversation for the point of this thread? guess not, lmao

Originally Posted by burla
I wouldn't use Valvoline in a Ram, no moly.

VOA of Valvoline Advanced shows it has some moly.

I just looked at a 5 qt jug of Valvoline Advanced I have in the garage. Says it meets Chrysler MS-6395 spec.

Originally Posted by Wornslick
my choice so far are Mobil 1 for the oil and a Wax oil filter.

M1 does have moly as discussed, Chrysler engineers use that in the oil they have a hand in, even though some oils spec w/o moly.

Also, I assume you mean wix. Consider wix xp as it is synthetic fiber, they last much longer then paper filters to match that synthetic oil. Also the srt filter is a step up from paper as well, if you are trying to use Mopar. IMO Fram Ultra is just as good or better then either and it cheaper. Again it has to be Ultra to get the benefit of spun microglass.

oil filter test

fram ultra received first place in that test, but as you see Royal Purple filters had the best result, but they were priced higher so they placed in second over all I believe. Too bad they didn't do wix xp, but you can see synthetic fiber takes all of the top spots, so I'm sure wix xp would be up there. Paper filters degrade over time and filtering goes down, I've cut and tested synthetic filters at 2 years in use and they were still very pliable. Not even possible with the paper filters out there. Not only that they flow better.
So the filter better and flow better, it is very important for hemi to stay clean s they are high wear engines. Paper filters should be banned.

^^^ The Ultra is much higher in efficiency than the Wix XP, and will result in cleaner oil (ie, lower particle count). The XP is built well, but filtering performance is lacking.

This is what happens when you marry yourself to a brand w/o any consideration to it's commitment to a formula that would be more beneficial to you, if you believe what the FCA engineers are doing.

I thought the problem with oil choice for FCA was a lack of faith in the FCA engineers.

M1 does have moly as discussed, Chrysler engineers use that in the oil they have a hand in, even though some oils spec w/o moly.

Which Chrysler spec requires moly?

OP, you're fine running whatever quality 5w20 you want... it's still a pushrod v8 at the end of the day, nothing special. Technically, Mobil 1 doesn't meet the Chrysler MS-meh spec, the vehicle will run fine. I ran a lot of Mobil 1 and Valvoline through my 5.7. I'd run a Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 filter, they're easy enough to get

Originally Posted by Skippy722
OP, you're fine running whatever quality 5w20 you want... it's still a pushrod v8 at the end of the day, nothing special. Technically, Mobil 1 doesn't meet the Chrysler MS-meh spec, the vehicle will run fine. I ran a lot of Mobil 1 and Valvoline through my 5.7. I'd run a Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 filter, they're easy enough to get

I think this is the sentiment most were trying to make, not an anti moly campaign. Its a dinosaur American pushrod V8 that hasn't had a major design change in a decade with millions of hemi rams, chargers, challengers, 300, cherokee's on the road. Believing Valvoline, Mobil or any major oil blender engineers producing non moly formulas haven't been able to engineer alternate additive packages that protect without moly is even more far fetched than thinking one MUST have moly. I'm sure they dedicate a few resources toward their staple formulas. I'm not going to trust Steve's backyard blend 5w30 with 200ppm of moly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back